FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Paris in BW

Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paris in BW

A few pics from last year, just developed the roll

They are also in my blog but decided to make it easy and also post them here,

Any critique is encouraged and appreciated (even if to say you hate them)

© Guari 2013

Esplanade du Trocadero

© Guari 2013

Basilique du Sacre Coeur

© Guari 2013

La Tour

© Guari 2013

Escalier du Montmartre

A Charles de Gaulle

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:07 PM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paris in BW

Hi -
I enjoyed these -
Thanks -
Paul

Mar 16, 2013 at 05:30 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paris in BW

plsand wrote:
Hi -
I enjoyed these -
Thanks -
Paul

Thanks Paul, appreciate you taking the time to comment and I am glad you like them!

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:38 AM
DRosdahl
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paris in BW

Great set, especially like the image from Trocadero!

Mar 16, 2013 at 08:34 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paris in BW

always great to see Paris
I really like the POV you chose in the Trocadero scene and looking up the Eiffel Tower.
Looks like a ton of noise +/- grain in your scans, especially noticeable in the gray skies and shadows.

Scott

Mar 16, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paris in BW

Thank you very much Dallin and Scott.

Yes, Some frames from the negatives came out too thin and it shows on the scans. I am however pleased that at least I got something from the roll.... I was doing some house cleaning and found the exposed roll hidden below stuff for a year hehe... T grain films do not seem to look very nice when the negatives come too thin...

It's a far shot from being a "technically correct roll" though, but it was very pleasant to receive the processed film..

Thanks for the comments

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:17 PM
juliet1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paris in BW

I love Paris. This post is really awesome.

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paris in BW

juliet1 wrote:
I love Paris. This post is really awesome.

Thanks Juliet, glad you like them

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:56 AM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Paris in BW

Nice set. I think my favorites are #3 and #4. I like the perspective in #3 and the moody look of #4. As far as grain goes, I think it really works in #4. What equipment/film were these shot with?

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Paris in BW

astrodave wrote:
Nice set. I think my favorites are #3 and #4. I like the perspective in #3 and the moody look of #4. As far as grain goes, I think it really works in #4. What equipment/film were these shot with?

Thanks Dave, glad to hear you like them

It was all shot with a hassy 501 and a zeiss 50 f4 fle. It's my beloved hassy lens and the one that gets most used. All handheld using hand rails and stuff that could give some support to the camera, specially for the montmartre shots, as it was going dark fast. Those two grainy shots are quite a it underexposed in the film...

Film was tmax 400 which was a new for me, as I am familiar with Ilford's offerings.

Thanks again, appreciated.

Edited on Mar 18, 2013 at 04:37 AM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:45 PM
photosmile
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Paris in BW

I love the picture #4. It reminds me of the scene in The Exorcist if I remember correctly. Very eery and moody.

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Paris in BW

photosmile wrote:
I love the picture #4. It reminds me of the scene in The Exorcist if I remember correctly. Very eery and moody.

First time I get that

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your comment and I'm glad you liked them!

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:36 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Paris in BW

I really love the "old" feeling these photos have. Very well done!

-Nick

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:37 AM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Paris in BW

Guari wrote:
Thanks Dave, glad to hear you like them

It was all shot with a hassy 501 and a zeiss 50 f4 fle. It's my beloved hassy lens and the one that gets most used. All handheld using hand rails and stuff that could give some support to the camera, specially for the montmartre shots, as it was going dark fast. Those two grainy shots are quite a it underexposed in the film...

Film was tmax 400 which was a new for me, as I am familiar with Ilford's offerings.

Thanks again, appreciated.

I thought maybe hasselblad. I have a (new-to-me) 500cm with an 80mm 2.8 that I'm trying to master. I've been considering the 50 f4 (cf t*) to get a little bit wider fov. Your copy looks very sharp with little (if any) distortion. I'm about to run some Fuji 100 Neopan Acros through it after a run of Tri-X.

Hope to see more of your work!

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Paris in BW

Thanks Nick, glad you liked them!

astrodave wrote:
I thought maybe hasselblad. I have a (new-to-me) 500cm with an 80mm 2.8 that I'm trying to master. I've been considering the 50 f4 (cf t*) to get a little bit wider fov. Your copy looks very sharp with little (if any) distortion. I'm about to run some Fuji 100 Neopan Acros through it after a run of Tri-X.

Hope to see more of your work!

It's an amazing camera for sure a true piece of engineering.

If you ever get a chance to try outthe 50, go for it. Very nice lens, sharp, lovely rendering, little if any distortion, no vignetting, great tonal gradations.. good stuff for sure.. It feels a lot like a 28/35 on full frame...

Thanks and enjoy your camera!

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Paris in BW

Really like the mood of the stair steps up to Montmarte. These convey a somewhat cold Paris. Makes me want to go back, though! Thanks for sharing!

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Paris in BW

Hi Sharona! I'm very goad you liked the images.

It was indeed cold, just before the onset of winter.

Thanks again

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:04 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Paris in BW

I don't hate any of them, Guari (well- the last one does nothing for me ).
I actually like the basic subjects and perspectives, especially the first shot. It looks like cannons aimed at the Tower.
Obviously, exposure problems combined with very late processing have created problems.
As a film shooter (and originally B&W shooter), I have experienced the same problems first-hand. Of course, we can't check our work until the film is processed (boo hoo) .
I played with the fourth image just to see what might be done (I'm no expert, but I love to play).
If you want me to pull it, PM me and I will.
Charlie

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Paris in BW

Charlie Shugart wrote:
I don't hate any of them, Guari (well- the last one does nothing for me ).
I actually like the basic subjects and perspectives, especially the first shot. It looks like cannons aimed at the Tower.
Obviously, exposure problems combined with very late processing have created problems.
As a film shooter (and originally B&W shooter), I have experienced the same problems first-hand. Of course, we can't check our work until the film is processed (boo hoo) .
I played with the fourth image just to see what might be done (I'm no expert, but I love to play).
If you want me to pull
...Show more

No problem at all with the retouching. I joined FM to learn, and while all the gear talk is all cool and such, what I mostly enjoy is imagery. I'm very open to feedback, even if to say "it doesn't work due to this, this and that..."

That said, it would have been great to have a tripod but it just wasn't a photo trip...

Anyhow, I had quite a bit of a trouble retouching that particular pic, as I had to find a balance with the gross underexposure and the thin negative with the shadows not going to pure black when playing with lightroom... I enjoy the changes you made.

Thanks Charlie!

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Paris in BW

Guari,
I should have mentioned that I did only basic stuff with brightness/contrast sliders, and selective noise reduction. And a bit of sharpening.
Far from perfect- but I thought it was an improvement.
Charlie

Mar 24, 2013 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.