Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · New lights just came in

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New lights just came in

I just received these bad boys today. I'll use them on my wedding tomorrow.

Standard transmitter + receiver.

Lithium battery pack

What makes them special you say?

More powerful than a 600ex-rt.

Open bulb design so more options for modifying the light.

The ability to control power settings quickly from the transmitter without having to go into a freaking menu.

Very quick recycle time plus approx. 900 full power pops on a single charge.

I can also use my pocket wizards to fire them if needed and use the Cheetah transmitter to change power levels.

HSS sync when using the Cells 2 transmitter. Note: You have to use a Canon 5D II for HSS. The mk III is not yet supported. I tested the unit at 1/8-1/4-1/2 and full power at 1/8000 sec and it worked like a charm.

Edited on Mar 01, 2013 at 10:14 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:23 PM
awad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New lights just came in

you just went all out didn't you? looking forward to a full review on these bad boys.

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:25 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New lights just came in

awad wrote:
you just went all out didn't you? looking forward to a full review on these bad boys.

"All out" would have meant I bought 5 instead of just 3.

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New lights just came in

good stuff mr Coolman.

waiting for the review....

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:33 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New lights just came in

whoahh...at first thought this are Quantums.. I'd like to know more about those little battery packs..

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New lights just came in

Pretty cool that more and more companies are pushing this tech forward. Looking forward to the results Jim.

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:03 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New lights just came in

For those wanting to know a little more about these lights this was on lightingrumors.com in january:
http://www.lightingrumours.com/godox-witstro-flash-to-be-sold-in-the-usa-by-cheetahstand-3298

They're the Godox Wistro rebranded. Last I checked you could still buy the Godox lights but they were the same price as the Cheetah version.

brad

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:28 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New lights just came in

These look awesome! I'm kind of getting sick of using my current system (430ex II's and 580ex II's with radio poppers). I'd love something easier to use and with more power. I also love the modifiers that sell with it. Thanks for sharing!

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:41 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New lights just came in

Looking forward to seeing your review and results with these. Got the release email from Cheetah a couple weeks back that sparked some interest.

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:17 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New lights just came in

Ahh.. dont you love new toys!?

Have fun with your new goodies tomorrow!!

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New lights just came in

CMB Photo wrote:
whoahh...at first thought this are Quantums.. I'd like to know more about those little battery packs..

I spoke with Edward Tang at Cheetah about the batteries. These are lightweight units that have been tested to 900 full power pops. The interesting thing is that they arrived fully charged from the factory, and this is after spending 30 days on a ship, then a few more days in Cheetahs plant being tested before shipping to me. Edward said that he did not recharge them after testing them as they did not need it. The other cool thing is that I can plug two lights into one unit if needed.

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:47 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New lights just came in

jcolman wrote:
I spoke with Edward Tang at Cheetah about the batteries. These are lightweight units that have been tested to 900 full power pops. The interesting thing is that they arrived fully charged from the factory, and this is after spending 30 days on a ship, then a few more days in Cheetahs plant being tested before shipping to me. Edward said that he did not recharge them after testing them as they did not need it. The other cool thing is that I can plug two lights into one unit if needed.

Wow, that's cool. Looking forward to the full review as well!

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:00 PM
teebat
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New lights just came in

The bulb looks like a Quatum, I need to look at these. Thanks.

Are there a ttl adapter for them ? I have been using the Quantums for stage events (graduations) for reliablilty. I guess I don't need ttl, just a way to fire them from the hotshoe.

I see there is a High-Temperature Protection function and make the recycling time about 10 to 15 seconds. This is what I don't like. I can fire the Quantums all night at full if need be. I am supirsed because with this type of bulb I didn't think it would be an issue.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:03 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New lights just came in

teebat wrote:
The bulb looks like a Quatum, I need to look at these. Thanks.

Are there a ttl adapter for them ? I have been using the Quantums for stage events (graduations) for reliablilty. I guess I don't need ttl, just a way to fire them from the hotshoe.

I see there is a High-Temperature Protection function and make the recycling time about 10 to 15 seconds. This is what I don't like. I can fire the Quantums all night at full if need be. I am supirsed because with this type of bulb I didn't think it would be an issue.

No TTL for them. These are manual flash only, which is exactly what I want in an off-camera type light. You can fire them from your hot shoe using the transmitter that comes with the unit. You can also use pocketwizards or other radio triggers as well. You could use a pocketwizard to fire the light and the Cheetah lights transmitter, in your pocket, to make power adjustments to any Cheetah light.

As for the thermal protection, here is what another tester wrote about his experience with the light.

"Regarding thermal protection: Yes, the CL-180 has it. Originally it was fairly agressive kicking in after 50 full power flashes in rapid succession (meaning at 3-5 second intervals). This was felt to be a potential problem and was raised as an issue during beta testing with the manufacturer. In response, the limit was increased to 75 full power flashes in rapid succession before thermal protection kicks in. There's a thermometer icon on the flash LCD to indicate protection has been triggered. The flash can still be fired at that point but recycling is slowed to 10 seconds or so."

You can read more at:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1270039

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:22 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New lights just came in

I saw it talks about unobstructed range up to 500ft, what about obstructed range? Does it have to be line of sight?

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:29 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New lights just came in

morby wrote:
I saw it talks about unobstructed range up to 500ft, what about obstructed range? Does it have to be line of sight?

No. Before I purchased these, I asked for some tests to be done with the flash behind walls. They were tested with the lights on the second floor of a home and the transmitter on the first floor. Not a single misfire reported.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:34 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New lights just came in

jcolman wrote:
No. Before I purchased these, I asked for some tests to be done with the flash behind and thru walls. They were tested with the lights on the second floor of a home and the transmitter on the first floor. Not a single misfire reported.

Haha! Perfect. I'll definitely be researching these. I was going to go for the 600ex-rt, but these seem to meet my needs more

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:36 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New lights just came in

morby wrote:
Haha! Perfect. I'll definitely be researching these. I was going to go for the 600ex-rt, but these seem to meet my needs more

I'm not dissing the 600's, as I owned three of them.....for about a week. Then I decided that they really were not what I was looking for so I sold them.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:39 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New lights just came in

well.... I will be watching... this looks great

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:09 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New lights just came in

o gawd more great night pics on the way