Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · ?'s about a new Mac

StowePhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · ?'s about a new Mac

Hi-

I am planning on purchasing a new Macbook prior to the 2013 wedding season. My 2005 iMac has lost its luster and is having a very hard time pushing multiple thousand shot 5DMKIII RAW files through my workflow process. It's become too slow and last fall when I was stacking up wedding edits because of it, I knew a new computer had to be budgeted for this season.

Since I have not shopped for a new Mac for over 8 years I am not up to date with the latest and greatest performance packages. I believe I am currently running Lightroom v. 4.3 as well as VSCO Keys and both are slow on the old iMac. I also have both installed on my basic Macbook Air but it too is quite slow processing the big MKIII files. What setups are you guys running that you are very pleased with, and that will have staying power for at least the next few (5?) years?

I do think I want to go with a Macbook Pro as I find the portability of a laptop extremely helpful. I like to take my editing with me...

I am planning on heading to our local Mac store tomorrow to begin asking questions, but since I am looking for primarily photo editing performance, storage and screen quality, and mostly using it for processing wedding photos I felt this was the best place to learn a few things.

Thank you very much-

Jesse

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:28 AM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #2 · ?'s about a new Mac

I have a three year old 15" Macbook Pro at work. I run LR 3, VSCO, and CS5 with no issues. I've worn this thing out and it still runs fantastically.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:37 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · ?'s about a new Mac

What exactly are your specific questions? Either the iMac or MBP are good choices... If you want it to be portable the choice is then simply MBP. IMO I would go for at least a 15 in version. The 17 is just to big for carrying all around. The new versions will be WAY more than you actually need for editing etc.
It will SMOKE your 05 iMac that is for sure.

My 2011 MBP is still going strong... I put 16gb ram in it and it flies like the wind

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #4 · ?'s about a new Mac

Not sure if your machine can be upgraded, but if can, price out a solid state hard drive and expand your computer memory to the max possible(16 GB?).

Get the SATA III 512 GB Hard Drive for $360.

512 GB Hard Drive - SATA III

Use the scanner tool to determine the memory you need to order (unless your memory is soldered in place):
Memory Link

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:10 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #5 · ?'s about a new Mac

hardlyboring wrote:
What exactly are your specific questions? Either the iMac or MBP are good choices... If you want it to be portable the choice is then simply MBP. IMO I would go for at least a 15 in version. The 17 is just to big for carrying all around. The new versions will be WAY more than you actually need for editing etc.
It will SMOKE your 05 iMac that is for sure.

My 2011 MBP is still going strong... I put 16gb ram in it and it flies like the wind

There is no 17"MBP any more. The one I have is the last edition made. 15" is the biggest now.

To the OP. Just remember that in all the new Macs that it's impossible to do self upgrades. Don't get less ram or a slow HDD thinking you can upgrade it yourself. You'll need to budget for the ram etc you want. Personally I'd get the fastest processor you can and max out the ram. You can alway use an external HDD for image storage. My late 2011 17"MBP has no problems with any camera file I throw at it. The new one should be even better. Get a min of 8GB of ram and the i7 processor of the day and you'll be fine.

Gordon

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:14 AM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · ?'s about a new Mac

You'd be okay with getting something with at least 4GB RAM and an i5 intel or better. Everything else you need is included (with a mac, that is) What's your budget?

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:42 AM
mohoyt

p.1 #7 · ?'s about a new Mac

Get the absolute best you can afford at this time and don't look back. You can't do RAM/HDD etc. upgrades on the new retina MBPs so do them now. It's not cheap, but you'll be kicking yourself in a few years if you opted for the 128Gb 13" MBP and chose not to upgrade it...

You can save a bunch if you don't get retina, but I think it makes a big difference with photo editing.

With regards to upgrades, I imagine you're running a G5 iMac? (the newest one out in 2005), and since the Apple processors have switched to Intel since then, the majority of new software will be optimised (or will only run) on Intel. I feel there is a limited upgrade track from here and that you'll be better off investing in a new computer altogether. However, even if you do have an Intel one, they have changed a lot, and while putting a new HD/SSD in it will speed it up, it's not going to be a particularly long term solution.

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:40 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #8 · ?'s about a new Mac

I just priced out a new 2.8 Ghz I7 MacBook Pro with 768 GB Solid state hard drive for $3615. Be sure to include the Ethernet Adapter, the FireWire Adapter, and the VGA Adapter. Not sure if you want the DVI adapter. The DVD is an external one so you probably need one unless you have it already. 16 GB RAM is standard.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #9 · ?'s about a new Mac

I'll throw this in as a third option, look at top-of-line Macmini, upgrade to 500GB Samsung 840 SSD + 16GB RAM and it will handle everything that you throw at it in terms of LR4+CS6. Add in DELL 27" ips LCD and you've got solid performing machine. I've used MBP in past for my editing before switching to Macmini but Quad Core processor in MAC mini makes it perform same as 15" MBPr.

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:08 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #10 · ?'s about a new Mac

I bought a 15" MBP at the end of 2011. First of all I love it but when I upgraded to LR4 everything got slow. Don't know why but I just self installed an upgrade from 4 to 8 gb RAM. Honestly I can see some difference but folders are still very slow to open in LR4. don't know why. Robert

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr645
• • •
p.1 #11 · ?'s about a new Mac

One thing I have noticed is the i7 is much faster then the i5 i the mini. You can also get a used 8 core 2.8 Mac Pro for about the same price as a loaded mini.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:08 PM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #12 · ?'s about a new Mac

I know I won't convert any Apple fans, and I don't intend to start a war here but, I never have much understood Apple products. I priced out a Macbook Pro vs an HP Envy.
Granted people won't oh and ah and think I'm the best when I pull out an HP like they might when I pull out an Apple, but...

HP Envy, Window 8 Pro, 3.8ghz i7, 16gb, 1920x1080 display, 750 gb hybrid drive, dual 9 cell battery, blu-ray writter, backlit keyboard, bluetooth, 2gb NVIDIA graphics for $2029.99

vs

MBPro, same processor, same ram, 2880x1800 display, 768 gb solid state drive, external super drive, backlit keyboard, 1gb NVIDIA and some thunderbolt adapters for $3656.00

So for $1600 you are getting Apple elitism, higher res display, solid state drive vs hybrid and loosing upgradeability, internal writer drive, battery life, graphics card power, and the ability to upgrade.

I'm sure some will say that the retina display is worth it. I say hogwash. Even 1080p is higher resolution than the human eye can see on 15" screen at comfortable viewing distances. And it is higher pixel density than your camera at full crop and the printer.

And next year both computers will be "outdated". You can get 3.5 Window's machines for the cost of 2 Apples. So when you are ready to upgrade you won't have to feel like you are still paying off the HP. Just sell it and get the latest tech.

Like I said, these are my thoughts. I don't care which one you buy. I just don't understand.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #13 · ?'s about a new Mac

I am very non-technical when it comes to things like computers. And cars. I mean, I know how to use them just fine, but am not the type that gets under the hood and tinkers with them. My philosophy for both are the same. I just want them to work at a very high level and give me years of service without problems and multiple trips to the shop. Unfortunately that was never my experience with HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc. I ended up spending so much on repairs and new computers that the "higher" price of the mac ended up being a bargain. I'm not a fan boy, for me it was a pay now or pay later (with lots of headaches) thing. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new MBP myself, but my 2008 MB has been a trouble-free workhorse up until now.

Do I think HP, Dell, etc can work as a great, dependable tool for many people? Sure. That just hasn't been my experience.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:40 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #14 · ?'s about a new Mac

"I never have much understood Apple products."

That Photog -- I believe this is the most germaine part of your response.

I was reading this thread to gain some insight for when I decide to upgrade my 2007 iMac and was treated to your OT.

And this response is coming from someone who has had to support over a hundred Dell's, HPs, and other brands no longer around. And please don't get me started on the alpha version of Win 8.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:22 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #15 · ?'s about a new Mac

Bernie wrote:
And please don't get me started on the alpha version of Win 8.

Alpha Windows what

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:36 PM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #16 · ?'s about a new Mac

Mitch W wrote:
I am very non-technical when it comes to things like computers. And cars.

I am the dead opposite. I'm an engineer, mechanic and a bit of a geek. So I like playing with tech and making it do what I want. That is probably why I'm happy with Windows machines/ Android (haven't played with Windows 8 yet). Actually when it comes down to it I am probably a little hypocritical when it comes to cars. I buy Japanese "imports" (used with a lot of miles on them) because I want them to work. I need it to get me to work everyday and not break down. I haven't had much luck with the domestics that I have owned so I stick with what, in my mind, is reliable even if it costs more. But when they break I like to know I can fix them (which I don't get with Apple )

I am also designing products for Apple products in my day job and working with Apple has soured me a little more toward them.

Sorry didn't mean to pull the thread off topic. I'll go back into my hole.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:41 PM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #17 · ?'s about a new Mac

I recently upgraded to a MBPr 13 and it flies through my workflow. I have it hooked to an external monitor for more viewing area. I agree with other posters to get the best you can afford now, but I just wanted to share my experience with the MBPr's abilities. It'll be a huge step from what you're working with now, and its price just dropped.

And for portability, it's almost as light as an Air but has a beast of a processor. You can't go wrong.

My only complaints are the occasional lack of compatibilities some programs have with the retina screen (icons appear more pixelated), and there's a few software kinks that the apple guys are still working out.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:44 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · ?'s about a new Mac

I used to be a Mac user, for about 10+ years actually...then I switched to pc several years ago and got comparable performance out of a $500 Dell as what I could get for $1500 on the Mac side. Since then I have not missed the apple premium. Tag on the fact that their desktop towers are now completely "professional-oriented" and have a limited variety of available configurations, and you end up with 5d-style systems (one-trick pony). In fact, they don't have any system design that does everything well because they don't have the right graphics card options for the big systems or the fastest processors for the smaller ones. Since I can (and did) build my own pc(s), I could make my computer good at everything. And it is 1/3 the price of an Apple computer, i.e. I can actually afford it.

In short, I switched to pc because I couldn't afford a Mac that could handle the editing programs I use regularly...but I was able to afford a pc that could.

Although I never liked Steve Jobs much, I respected him as an intelligent person integral to apple's success and smart business model as well as their innovative product lines. With him gone, I believe they are making worse decisions and will fade into obscurity again. It's too bad, but as the greatest empires of history often fell to ruin after the conquerers and leaders who first built them died, so too I think apple will fall.

Why do you need a laptop for editing? Just about 2x the cost of a desktop for similar performance. My $1200 desktop pc does everything at least as fast as a $2400 pc laptop (or a $3800 Mac desktop or $3500 Mac laptop). i7 3770k 16gb etc...could have gotten the 6 core 3930k for another $200 (better just for editing). And if I ever did want to upgrade, then it's very easy. Just a new processor and mobo. Ram will be fine for a while yet.

Wow. I just priced the mac pro for comparable processor performance and I'm really shocked...to configure a system comparable to my $1200 pc I would have to spend literally about $3700, including upgrading the graphics card later since they don't have a card option comparable to my gtx 660.

I'm just shocked about that. Their laptops are significantly better than their towers for price/performance ratio. However...Lenovo thinkpad built like the best $3000 MacBook pro is $2100 (lacks the retina display but that's all). Plus, the Lenovo has max 32gb ram and a 3940xm processor that beats the mac, and you can have both upgrades and still pay about $100 less than the macbook. The only weak point is a smaller SDD drive...

Edited on Feb 25, 2013 at 09:18 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:34 PM
StowePhoto

p.1 #19 · ?'s about a new Mac

Mitch W wrote:
I am very non-technical when it comes to things like computers. And cars. I mean, I know how to use them just fine, but am not the type that gets under the hood and tinkers with them. My philosophy for both are the same. I just want them to work at a very high level and give me years of service without problems and multiple trips to the shop. Unfortunately that was never my experience with HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc. I ended up spending so much on repairs and new computers that the "higher" price of the mac ended
...Show more

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Mitch W, I am right here with you. I knew there were others out there in this same situation. I am not a computer engineer. I am a photographer. I am not a mechanic. I am a vehicle driver. I perform both of these very well, and demand good, reliable performance out of both machines. I just want something that works, very well, for my needs.

I will take a lot of advice from the replies here before throwing down the cold hard cash on a new machine. Thanks for taking the time to leave a thought or two. And please keep adding to the discussion.

Jesse

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:11 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · ?'s about a new Mac

On that note...any system with less than 16gb ram is going to be ram-choked when doing photo editing, especially with 20+mp files. Especially with RAW.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password