Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifica...

keoni068
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

I currently have a decently sharp 24-70L, and I, like many others, have been intrigued by the 24-70L II, with its reported sharpness and color improvements. I have contemplated selling my series 1 for the new zoom, but I had a question about the sharpness improvements in relation to printing 16x20 and smaller. For example, if I were to print a 16x20 on glossy paper at Costco would there be a noticeable difference between pictures taken with the 24-70 I and II? (Obviously, for the sake of this hypothetical situation all other factors, camera, settings, lighting, etc, remains constant and the only difference is the lens itself.) I understand if I pixel peep at 200% on a retina display the difference will be noticeable, but in real world prints would I be able to decipher between them?

Thanks for your time and wisdom!

Edited on Feb 12, 2013 at 02:34 AM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

I think you would struggle to see a difference at that print size

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM
stempsons
• •
p.1 #3 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

RobDickinson wrote:

+1

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #4 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

I think you could easily see the difference at 16x20, at least if you were shooting wide open. I had a good copy of the 24-70, but the new lens is noticeably better wide open.

The other thing to consider is focus hit rate. I find the new 24-70 II to be more surefooted and accurate, giving more keeper images. Obviously a perfectly focused image is going to be better than a slight mis-focus.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #5 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

I don't think the difference is going to be huge at that size. You may be able to see it but I doubt your clients will. So I guess the best question is will it help you secure more gigs?

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

keoni068 wrote:
I have contemplated selling my series 1 for the new zoom, but I had a question about the sharpness improvements in relation to printing 16x20 and smaller.

Generally, get capability over quality first, then upgrade quality later. If you have a full range of the focal lengths you want, then upgrade aperture (perhaps by adding a prime to a zoom collection) to get more capability. If you have the apertures you want in the focal lengths you want, then sure, upgrade quality.

RobDickinson wrote:

Yes, but you never know when that difference would tip a viewer over from merely liking the print to really liking the print, even though they probably could not articulate it themselves.

Further, you can't predict now that all your images made with a lens, past or future, will only ever be printed at a given size (say 24x16 per OP) or smaller.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

20 inches with a 5d2 is 275dpi, if your pictures are soft at that scale look at sharpening or getting it repaired.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

16x24 is a large print if viewed at 10". You should definitely see the differences in the corners, and at the wider end especially. However, a symmetrical crop from 24" wide to 20" wide will remove 17% of the image, including the worst part in the corners.

Of course the differences may not be apparent if the viewers are non-critical consumers looking at a print from a 2 foot distance.

EBH

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #9 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

I've used 24-70 mk1 for almost 10 years (8? not sure) and I thought it was super sharp lens until I started using leica glass. But during that 10 years, I had no problem with sharpness whatsoever even for personal taste.
like others said above, the clients won't see the difference. only you will, if you pixel peep.
and most likely, sharpening during post will do the trick.

I am quite tempted myself, when the price is right, I might buy one and see. but I don't need one at this moment. What I need is any lens that covers 24 to 70 because I don't have any at this moment I just borrow my friends 24-105 for paid work... lol. and my friend gets treated with dinner.

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 06:30 AM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:23 AM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #10 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

Thank you very much for your responses. I should have clarified that I currently shoot with a 5dIII, and I am a huge fan of primes and creamy bokeh. The problem is that with my 3 kids I have been finding it difficult to maximize the efficiency of my primes because I never seem to be in the right place at the right time. With that said, I would like to shoot wide open 99% of the time and am wondering if the series II will offer a visible difference in prints. Again, I understand that it's sharper, which will be noticeable on a computer screen, but do all of the advantages disappear when printed at Costco at 16x20 or smaller? As I write, I'm wondering if this is a printer question as well.

Thanks, and all the best!

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:27 AM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #11 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

Any more input on the 24-70 I vs II in real world shooting/prints?

Thanks for your time!

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

I think the Costco print might be the great equalizer, bringing both down a level or two in quality. You would undoubtedly see more difference in custom lab with in-house PP to help the printing. I still remember how good prints would be from 4x5 film scans, and the everyday genius of the people doing "color correction" for printing.

You might even get nearly the same results at Costco with an earlier vintage camera and cheaper/older lens than either 24-70L version, at least at that print size.

If you are looking for assurance that the original 24-70 will do a good job at Costco, I expect it will if it's a decent copy. My original is pretty good, even for sharp 16x20 litho prints. But the new lens is easily seen to be better when viewing images on screen at 100%.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:06 AM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #13 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

Thanks Gunzorro!

What print house would you recommend for sharp prints that mimic close to computer monitor clarity?

Anyone have recommendations?

Thanks again

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

Sorry, I haven't done any printing at home or labs for years. I used to go to Hollywood, but the lab scene there has been devastated with home printing and low-end stuff from Costco, Walmart, etc.

I'm sure there are still a few good Hollywood color labs around, but someone else would have give advice. I had trouble finding good film developing there this last year.

Perhaps Peter Figen could give some thoughts if he reads this.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:39 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #15 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

I certainly cannot speak on a nationwide basis, but in my area the quality of printing from Costco is first rate. Recently updated printer profiles are also available if you are calibrated for precision color balance.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:26 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #16 · Importance of Lens Sharpness in Smaller Prints (Specifically Canon 24-70L II)

For prints take a look at Showcase in Atlanta.

1-800-886-1976

Showcase

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password