New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

lovinglife
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

I purchased a 135mm f/2 DC lens from BHPhoto last week (import model). After reading a lot of reviews I decided on this lens for portraits mainly (other options I considered were the 105DC, 85G 1.4, 85D 1.4 etc).

The lens I received seems to be a tad bit soft at f/2 - in addition, there is some front focusing - When I set the AF-adjust on the D600 to +20, it is MUCH better - almost perfect, but still not quite--it looks like a +22-23 may be needed for correcting this, but the D600 doesn't go that far. Since I plan on using it wide open much of the time, I want it to be perfect at f/2.

Other than the focusing issue - I really love the way this lens renders, one of the best I have used.
So I have purchased another copy - and will be sending this one back.
I really hope the next copy I can achieve a sharp image at f/2 - If I can't get a good copy, I may need to buy the 85/1.4G instead--but i would really rather just have a well performing 135..

As far as the purple fringing/CA etc - It takes me about 2 seconds to remove it in Lightroom, so does does not affect me.

My question is - have others experienced something similar with this lens/is this normal? (and just a note, I am not using the Defocus feature)

Thx!!!
LL

Edited on Feb 07, 2013 at 09:02 PM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:10 PM
hjanssen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

135 f2 without correction on a D700.

http://192.168.1.253/5/217.jpg

Matt Andersen@het Zwijnshoofd, Bergen op Zoom, Nl.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

I have both DC lenses and love them. Off hand, I can't recall having that much Fine Tune correction on either lens being used on any of my FX or DX bodies. Neither of mine are macro sharp wide open, but usually, I'm quite happy with their performance. At times, it's difficult to ensure that the AF is doing it's job correctly, especially with the thinner DOF of FX and even more so with the newer AF modules of the d800, d7k in dynamic AF.

If I had your issues, I'd return it for exchange to another copy.

good luck
Kerry

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:29 PM
RKB58

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

I got a refurb from Cameta a while back. Wound up sending it to Nikon Melville for AF adjust(under warranty). AF was right on after that on multiple bodies.

There is a bit of softness/purple f, CA wide open. Goes away quickly stopping down a little. I found that the DOF was so shallow at f/2 that it was not realistic to use f/2 for most portraits, anyway.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

I have this lens for a couple years. Just did a few test shots of a textured ceiling using flash at f2.0, and at close to minimum focus distance. With my D800, this lens appears to focus very accurately. Also, I never thought of f2.0 as being soft, rather as having somewhat reduced contrast.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:28 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

Thanks for all the replies!

hjanssen - I am unable to see the photo
Kerry - Thanks for the feedback, from what I heard the 105 is a bit sharper - but the 135 has more compressed bokeh
RKB58 - Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately on mine since it is an import model warranty doesn't apply..good to know you got yours tuned perfectly.
Danner - The reduced contrast doesn't bother me, i actually don't mind lesser contrast..To a certain extent i can play around with the contrast in LR.

I should be getting the replacement in about 3 days, so lets see.

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:22 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

UPDATE
======

First of all a huge thumbs up for the Reikan Focal software, which I purchased out of frustration in adjusting the micro focus - Took me exactly 1 minute to adjust the micro adjust automatically with the software.

My new replacement lens arrived from B&H

The Reikan software confirmed that my old (new) lens required a focus adjustment of +29 which the D600 does not support.

The new lens required a focus adjust of +19 and seems to work very nicely.
The rendering of the 135 is heavenly--love it.. I wish it didnt need so much AF adjust, I wonder if it is an issue with the body?

Anyway, for now I am very happy with the IQ of the 135...and regarding the sharpness issue - the lens is quite sharp at f/2 but has a miniscule DOF. Stopping down makes the lens incredibly sharp, but I love the rendering at f/2.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:01 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

It's a great lens shame about the +20 mine needed, doubt we will ever see an AFS version with the DC feature.
Cant wait for a nano afs 135

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:21 AM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

Jofoto -

Yeah, I wish there was not so much focus adjustment needed, but Im glad at least the lens is pretty amazing and I have a good way to make it perfect

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Resolved: 135mm f/2 DC Lens Sharpness / Focus

I'm on my second copy of the 135 DC after having sold my first one two years ago. It shines on the D800 more than on the D700, which was what I previous owned.

The 135 DC typically requires some heavy AF fine tuning. My Reikan Focal recommended +17 on my D800. At f/2.0, it isn't sharp wide open compared to my other prime lenses, but the benefit of downsizing from the D800's full resolution makes it acceptable for me.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.