New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LR4 is so SLOW

eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR4 is so SLOW

I'm not one to bitch and moan but you literally can't make a faster desktop than what I have.

CPU: i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz (12, yes TWELVE cores)
HD: 128GB SSD
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance

The thing is still f****** slow. LR3 was far faster. Figure it out, Adobe.

/rant over

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:47 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR4 is so SLOW

Complaining about LR4 being slow? You're rather late to this party my friend

Discussing the problems on our performance thread (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1165920/) we reckoned the No.1 trick to keeping LR moving along at a reasonable speed is to leave NR and sharpening to the end of the workflow. Some folk also report improvements when using SSD's, but most of the LR rendering pipeline in CPU heavy, so these are only likely to help for a limited number of tasks.

Incidentally - an i7 3930K is probably not the fastest desktop you can buy. There are plenty of folk with dual socket Xeons (with 8 cores each + hyperthreading). We all agree that LR should run faster though.

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:59 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR4 is so SLOW

You are not alone. The Adobe LR forum had a thread on this topic which reached a few hundred posts before it was finally locked. Probably why Adobe listed tips for improving LR performance as the first item in the LR FAQ.

John

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:26 PM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR4 is so SLOW

Have you increased the Lightroom cahe memory ? By default it is 2 Gb, make it 35. It should help.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:40 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR4 is so SLOW

gabimaster. Nothing helps. You should do your noise and sharpening at the end anyway, otherwise how will you know what noise your dealing with and hence how your sharpening will look.

To help speed, I zero all noise and NR sliders at the start of work and then add that task in at the end. I used to do noise per image in 3.x but now its such a f*****g pain in the f****g a**e that I batch it at the end so as I dont go totally postal.

I too use a 3930 at 4.5GHz. and by the way 128GB will put you at a disadvantage - high density ram ALWAYS has much higher latency than low density ram and you need to be able to shovel stuff in and out of the CPU fast as you can. Its no good having 2600MHz Ram if each chip takes 500ns to wake up.

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:36 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR4 is so SLOW

morganb4 wrote:
gabimaster. Nothing helps. You should do your noise and sharpening at the end anyway, otherwise how will you know what noise your dealing with and hence how your sharpening will look.

To help speed, I zero all noise and NR sliders at the start of work and then add that task in at the end. I used to do noise per image in 3.x but now its such a f*****g pain in the f****g a**e that I batch it at the end so as I dont go totally postal.

I too use a 3930 at 4.5GHz. and by the way
...Show more

I don't have 128GB or RAM, that is the size of my Samsung SSD. I have 32GB of 1600MHz Quad Channel memory: the frequency the SB-E chips require.

I will try zero-ing the sliders; however, where will that increase the speed? Importing isn't the issue.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:48 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR4 is so SLOW

^When LR Dev module starts it sets some defaults on noise NR and Sharpening. If you zero the Sharpening amount and Noise Reduction Luminance panel then you will find that the Develop module is more responsive across the board. You then do the sharpening at the end, along with the noise.

This is the order that you should work anyway, its just that having those defaults tends to slow down dev a bit so get rid of them until you need them, for the sake of a smoother workflow.

Also the LR noise slider response turns seems to turn to shite when you have Clarity, Shadow or Highlight set to <> 0 or any combination of those three. When you do this, you suddenly see the amount of resources being used by the computer inexplicably drop and the response time on the noise sliders (particularly Luminance) goes to about 1 second. All other settings a seem more sluggish too. Completely unacceptable that an expensive and well tuned hexacore box should be sitting around apparently doing nothing when there are so many calculations to do.

Overclock your Ram, screw it for the best timings you can, honestly I have seen improvements by tweaking RAM settings.

Yes, increase cache. Also delete your preference file and any other preference files from previous versions.
Also if you are on a windows box, increase its process priority. If your using a Mac then dont try and renice it because it has little effect.
Make sure your catalogue is on the SSD along with your cache.
Ensure that your not using V4 icc profiles.
Complain to Adobe and look for a credible alternative, like the rest of us. Im seriously considering Photo Ninja at the moment. Its a bit clunky but its out of the box image quality is extremely good.

Sorry dude :-/

Edited on Feb 05, 2013 at 10:00 AM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:31 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR4 is so SLOW

eskimochaos wrote:
I will try zero-ing the sliders; however, where will that increase the speed? Importing isn't the issue.

Pretty much the sum total of our knowledge on this is in the thread i linked to. If you want to skip the long and boring testing bit and just read the discussion, jump to post 13 and go from there

To summarise it though, there is an interplay between NR/Sharpening and the clarity, highlights and shadows sliders. Once NR is applied, these sliders slow down a lot. And similarly, once clarity, highlights or shadows have been moved from 0, the NR slider becomes quite laggy. Also, with NR turned on zooming and panning around the image becomes a lot more sluggish.

The best workaround therefore seems to be leave NR and sharpening until the end of your workflow, or to set them to what you like and then turn them off. I would note that this does not transform LR into a speedy bit of software, it just limits the worst of the slowness.

Edit: morganb4 beat me to the summary i see, but i would recommend a look through the performance thread, if only to understand that you are not alone.

Edited on Feb 05, 2013 at 09:39 AM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:33 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR4 is so SLOW

Noise management is a big part of my workflow. Its driving me fn nuts that its so laggy.

Anyway, I have processed 694 images on LR4 in the last 3 days so forgive me for being a bit twitchy.

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:37 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR4 is so SLOW

Thanks guys. It's no deal breaker for me, just more of a "Really Adobe?" feeling seeing as my computer has no issue manipulating 25GB TIFF files in CS5.

I'll give it a try tonight.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:13 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR4 is so SLOW

morganb4 , it's not about your hardware components since are top performance (all of them). For example ,my PC is : i5 2500K , 8Gb Ram 1600Mhz ( 2x4Gb)Corsair, no SSD !!!! , only one HDD 1Tb WD Caviar Black , a Gigabyte GTX 560 1Gb DDR5 graphic card, etc. I own for now a Canon 30D, a 40D and a 7D. The Raw files from 7D are pretty big, but on my PC, LR 4.3 is moving very,very fast. Maybe you should try reinstalling your computer ( formatting the partition where you will install the OS )

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:57 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR4 is so SLOW

^ Eh? No, its not hardware, I think thats the point we are all making and the conclusion that 15bits epic post demonstrated.

gabimaster I have been in out up down and through this so many times on so many different platforms that its tedious. Im not doing it again. The problem/bug is there, its a fact. If you don't see the slowdown then its got more to do with the way your using it and not in any deficiency in my set up.

Everyone I know who has tried the scenario outlined above has reproduced the problem without fail. Its not a problem for you and your workflow. Cool.

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:01 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR4 is so SLOW

eskimochaos wrote:

Every time you display an image in the Develop module it will be re-processed. For a raw file that means converting from the original raw file or, if a partial conversion still remains in the ACR cache, then it will use that cache to do a somewhat speedier raw conversion. Then it will apply all of the tweaks that have been made to the image and the sharpening and the noise reduction. Then you get to see what the image will look like.

If you skip to the next image then Lr does all of that stuff for that next image. If you immediately go back to the previous image then it does at all over again for that previous image even though it was done just minutes or seconds ago. Every single time it looks at an image. So it is not just restricted to file importation that Lr is reading from the Lr ACR cache or the actual image file and applying all edits.

In the Library module Lr will use the previews in the Lr cache if it can. However, they may not be there or they may be the wrong size, in which case Lr will go through all the stuff as it did in the Develop module to generate a new preview (unless the preview is almost the right size in which case it tweaks that preview).

It is a useful exercise to display the cpu usage via the operating system task manager and see just how much activity happens when you go from image to image and for how long it happens. The workload is much reduced if the luminance noise reduction is set to zero but it is still tangible. I now leave the NR until later in my workflow - especially as most images don't need much anyway and some don't need any at all if they are obviously crap. Previously I used to have camera/ISO presets to apply NR and sharpening at import but that is a bad idea with Lr 4.

It pays to have the ACR cache and Lr preview cache on a speedy drive set or SSD to hurry things along but that won't affect the number crunching. For that it might pay to add more RAM or have a faster cpu or one with more CPU cores (Lr does utilise the extra cores for this particular work). It may even pay to have the image files on a speedy drive if you have told Lr to include xmp data with each file and especially if it to be stored within the image files (such as for dng files, tif files or jpg files).

To be fair to Adobe, the new NR is better than the old stuff and is worth having. I dare say that it could be optimised if they wrote part of it in assembly language but who does that these days ?! A simpler approach would be to simply look at each raw file to see if has been changed since the last time Lr looked at it so that it could avoid re-doing much of the work much of the time, but such an approach would not speed up the handling of files that have been tweaked. Or maybe use a separate cache mode vs raw mode so that we have the choice of fully processing images or using slightly outdated data for more speed.

- Alan

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:13 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR4 is so SLOW

NR in a RAW converter should be done at the end of your workflow, regardless. Only when you have finished pushing all of the values around can you know what your resulting noise will look like. Its not just an ease of use thing, its a quality thing. Some adjustments (like shadow recovery) can put a lot of noise in your image.

Tone & Colour
Noise
Sharpen (I sharpen in PS now)

in that order

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:55 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR4 is so SLOW

morganb4 wrote:
Its not just an ease of use thing, its a quality thing. Some adjustments (like shadow recovery) can put a lot of noise in your image.

Therefore seeing the problem in real time is very important rather than getting to the end of your processing and realising you are screwed.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:50 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR4 is so SLOW

Beni, not sure I understand what your getting at here...?

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.