Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

sidefunk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

I am currently using Windows Live Photo gallery to views my JPEGs when downloading from SD cards. Problems is a lot of the time the pictures look horrible when I know they are not. What program do you use to view your JPEGs as they truly are?

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

I use Bridge to view beefy folders of any image type, ACR to view RAWs I might wanna edit, or PS to view just one or two images. If I'm pretty sure I don't want to edit anything and only view them then I use the spacebar - which in OS X calls up ummm, Quick Look, i think it's called.

I guess Quick Look is the same functionality as Windows Live Gallery - if that's the one which comes with the OS. With QL however, you add just about any functionality you like to it. Copy to / Move to folder, rotate, create alias, duplicate, print, open with, sort by EXIF item, rate/label, and so on. QL can view all image types AFAIK, I use it with RAW, TIFF, GIF, PNG, Jpg, PDFs, Videos, MP3, wav, test files, web links, and so on... You can also get set the spacebar to auto open other apps if you like - such as "Preview" which has cropping, color balancing, sharpening, exposure comp, contrast, Highlights/Shadows, some simple painting tools built in, text tools such as speech bubbles or text boxes, assign color profiles, and so on and so forth... Both these systems are also integrated with each other and come free in OS X

I've long since stopped using downloadable "previewers" as they don't offer anything over the OS itself and often cause more trouble than I care to deal with.

Here's some screenies uv'em:

OS X Built-in Quick Look (showing a webpage)

OS X Built-in Preview (showing images)

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 03:27 AM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:34 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

Free Faststone image browser (http://www.faststone.org/).

Fast, cheap (free), and feature rich, including color management.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:53 AM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

Thanks for the response bifufactor. Thanks redcrown, i tried the program you suggested and the JPEG viewing is much cleaner.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

I use Lightroom. However, most of what I look at is raw files. I like the file management capabilities as well as what I can do to enhance the photos.

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:07 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

For just image viewing, I've been using Irfan View for probably 10+ years.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

i second faststone image viewer. great, great program. lots of options.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM
philhill

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

redcrown wrote:
including color management.

Faststone is a great program except that it's not fully color managed. Yes, it reads the color space that’s embedded in a file but it doesn’t use the display profile when displaying images. What I see in color-managed programs such as PS and DPP is different from what Faststone displays.

Of course, if the display hasn't been calibrated and profiled then this probably won't make any difference.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

redcrown wrote:
Free Faststone image browser (http://www.faststone.org/).

Fast, cheap (free), and feature rich, including color management.

+1 ... been using it for years, plus it supports viewing RAW files also, which Windows natively does not.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:32 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

Thanks for the faststone heads up. It is quickly becoming my go to for viewing and quick edits to jpegs I like and don't want to work the raw with.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Snead
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

I have Photoshop, Capture One 7, Lightroom, Breeze Browser, Faststone and AfterShot but I prefer a free viewer called Xnview. Unlike Faststone it is color managed and renders sharp true color images. I like it's ability to create separate slide show with music. Irfan is also nice but I prefer the way Xnview works.

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:06 AM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What do you use to view JPEGs?

Thanks for the info on XnView, I'll have to check that out.
The one dislike I have about FastStone that it isn't color managed.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:36 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.