Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Lil Judd
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Adhering to the forum's one rule "FM Forum Rules Rules: One new topic per day" I'm today dedicating my one post to Post Processing Woos.... Since I'm suffering from horrible Vertigo I can't go anywhere really & I can't ride my horse. I'm bored stiff.

Now I don't consider myself up to par with people like Chad, Tim, Socrate & many others, but I think I do ok. But like all of us, I run into dilemmas every now & then. Mainly with Golden Light & the post processing tools I've been taught. They seem to at times conflict Ah well

Now let me start by explaining - - I firmly believe in setting Black & White Points - I can't stand digital haze. I also can't stand Noise. And I also firmly believe in The Photographer's Artistic Creative View of a shot. I wanted to become a Cinematographer after all.....

That written - - here I will present 3 photos taken at different times by me. The processing will differ in a few different ways of each shot. The question - - which processing is most appealing? Well it will be individual of that I'm sure. I won't tell to start with what I've done to the different photos. I will tell when I'm ready to Author's prerogative But I will let you all know - in time.

Chad & I have communicated in PMs regarding his Chad Action & his creative view. To quote Chad's final comments "the action accounts RGB values from 250 to 255 and highlights them in RED, same for the Deeps in BLUE of 0-5" and "I feel it helps show more of a range, its hard to see detail in anything over 250 in the lights or under 5 in the deeps, anything in between is perfect "

Now I was taught anything in between 0-255 in the Histogram is fine. So, just different "schools of thought" - - so here's my photos. One you already know - from the Old Man & the Sea series They're all shot late afternoon, not necessarily Golden Light, but at least starting...

I hope this will amuse you all

P.S. I should probably mention that it will probably be easier to see the differences in a darker room

Lil

And one from yesterday - Ross was sweet enough to drive me & go with me out for a few hours so I got out of the house....

and finally - - just for fun. This is a shot I took the day I went out with Stephen & photographed Cormorants. If I'd set Black & White Points or done Black recovery - It would not look like this. But this is the way I like it - Artistic Creative Free licensing

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM
richdavid
• •
p.1 #2 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

I like 3, 6, 9 and .... 12 as is......

Rich

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Great set Lil, I pick #3,6 and 9.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Very interesting variations Lil. I like the processing in 3, 6 and 8 best

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Hi Lil! My picks - 1, 7 and 9 of the respective groups.
I love your artistic touch to the last, great shot.

Birdie

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM
ebrown88
• •
p.1 #6 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Hi, Lil,

This is a great topic - thanks for taking the time to post these PP comparisons.

That said, the differences in the first grouping are very subtle. My pick would be #2, but it's hard to distinguish it from 3.

The next grouping is a little more clear cut. I like what you did in #7 to brighten the image (and make it a touch cooler, I think), but you may have gone just a touch too far(?).

Images 8 through 11, also very subtle differences. In 9, it looks like there is a little more detail in the bird under its left wing, which I like. I find it difficult to see any difference between 10 and 11, but 11 might be slightly cooler(?). I'll go with 9 as my pick.

The last image looks just fine as is, IMHO.

Dennis B.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
B Benson
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

3, 7, 11 for me. Bruce

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

The last one for me, Lil. I really hate it when people destroy shadows.

Tony

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:03 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

My picks - 1, 5, 9. These may all have similar processing. The shadows are deep, the brights are bright (#5, I wouldn't might a touch more white in the whites), and the midtones are not stretched out to the shoulders. Then, what the heck do I know! Would be interesting to hear a master weigh in.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:53 AM
Herderdog
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

3, 6 and 8 for me , Lil. Interesting comparison of images. I have trouble with getting the whites right.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

FM Forum Rules Rules: One new topic per day Really I think that rule has left the building. I looked for it the other day and couldn't find it, go figure

Yes you will get different points of view on these and I really don't think there is right or wrong per se.

For the first group I like 1 the best. It was close with 3 but I like the darker bg in 1.

Group 2; 6, to me looks most natural. I do love the shot overall

Group 3; the actual subject looks best in 9 but there are selection artifacts on the subject and even more so on the rocks that ruin it for me. 9 is the most detailed of the bunch and to me the whites look the best.

The bonus shot is gorgeous

There are my thoughts, take them as you will

Tim

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:32 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

1-4 I find all very acceptable and honestly not worth a debate on which is better or more liked, I see nothing that would sway me one way or the other.
5-7 sometimes those ultra pure bright blue/whites look a bit artificial to me
#10 over #11 for me

The last is simply beautiful
Karl

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:35 AM
WesN
• • •
p.1 #13 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Lil,

1-4. I like the whites in #3 (looks to be less blown out), but I prefer the blues in #2 and #4. So make it #3.

5-7. I prefer the whites in #7, but prefer the warmer colors in #5 and #6. So make it #7 (but with a tweak to warm it up a bit).

9-11. These looks pretty close. I'll pick #9 as it has more contrast in the wing area.

12 - Nice.

Wes N.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:35 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Hi Lil,

The first clearly maintains the whites best and is darn good. The face of the second has a bit more definition and it would look good on the first.

7 is my pick of the next set as it have vibrance

9, 10 and 11 all bug me as the body is too bright though if I must pick one it is 9

12 is the best of that set, oh itís the only one and sweet!

I hope you feel better soon

Morris

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:48 AM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Super Job Lil. Ed

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:02 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

#1, #7 & #10. #12 is super special

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:08 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Lil, vertigo must be contagious...I'm dizzy going back and forth amongst all the great shots. Yes there are subtle differences but all are much more than acceptable. And that last is really special. Hope your world stops spinning soon and you can get out and about.
A nice exercise and I'm sure you found what appeals to your eye and that is what is truly important.
Eric

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:21 AM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

richdavid wrote:
I like 3, 6, 9 and .... 12 as is......

Rich

Thanks Rich

I'm going to tally up the numbers jut for the fun of it

Lil

Herb Houghton wrote:
Great set Lil, I pick #3,6 and 9.

Thanks Herb,

glad you like them

Lil

Conrad Tan wrote:
Very interesting variations Lil. I like the processing in 3, 6 and 8 best

Thanks Conrad

appreciate your feedback

Lil

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:48 AM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

birdied wrote:
Hi Lil! My picks - 1, 7 and 9 of the respective groups.
I love your artistic touch to the last, great shot.

Birdie

Thanks Roberta,

interesting to see how people choose

Thanks for the vote on my last shot

Lil

ebrown88 wrote:
Hi, Lil,

This is a great topic - thanks for taking the time to post these PP comparisons.

That said, the differences in the first grouping are very subtle. My pick would be #2, but it's hard to distinguish it from 3.

The next grouping is a little more clear cut. I like what you did in #7 to brighten the image (and make it a touch cooler, I think), but you may have gone just a touch too far(?).

Images 8 through 11, also very subtle differences. In 9, it looks like there is a little more detail in the bird under its
...Show more

Thanks for all your thought Dennis,

I appreciate all of them

I will just comment that on none of these photos have I used a Curves tool I'm very basic in my pp so the variations are much based upon the Histograms...

Glad you liked my Cormorant as well

Lil

B Benson wrote:
3, 7, 11 for me. Bruce

Thanks Bruce

Lil

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Final Thoughts - Golden Light, Whites - PP Woos.....

Imagemaster wrote:
The last one for me, Lil. I really hate it when people destroy shadows.

Tony

Thanks Tony

Lil

KCollett wrote:
My picks - 1, 5, 9. These may all have similar processing. The shadows are deep, the brights are bright (#5, I wouldn't might a touch more white in the whites), and the midtones are not stretched out to the shoulders. Then, what the heck do I know! Would be interesting to hear a master weigh in.

Thanks Ken,

yes I'm eagerly awaiting the Masters weighing in

Lil

Herderdog wrote:
3, 6 and 8 for me , Lil. Interesting comparison of images. I have trouble with getting the whites right.

Hi there Bonnie,

thanks for your choices. I think we all have some issues with the whites.

Lil

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:58 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password