Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

Drayken
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

First of all, I just got a new Dell U2711 monitor (cheap 2nd monitor) and new PC. Ok, I have need some help!

First, All I need to do is set the monitor to adobeRGB in it's settings, correct? I don't need to set anything in the PC to use that colorspace?

Second, I have the old Xrite DTP94 calibrator. But the software does not work with windows 7. My father purchased the ColorMunki, so I decided to give it a try. I am shocked that it does NOT have you adjust any red, green, blue, or even contrast values. I simply had to lower my brightness all the way down to 7, and then it finished measuring colors and made a profile. Is this as accurate as the old DTP94, when it used to adjust all the values? Ro does the colormunki simply make all those adjustments in the software?

Third, I am VERY worried about the printer profiling. First, again, my old Xrite profiler, used to have me print about 300 little color blocks that it measured. (It won't calibrate anymore, so it's broke) The colormunki only measures two prints, with what, about 100 blocks, if that? Worried about it's accuracy.

Fourth, but maybe most important. When printing the color blocks for printer profiling, it has me set my epson r1800 printer. I use the correct paper, best photo, and ICM, no color management. So, it measures those prints, BUT, then when I edit a pic in photoshop, and go to print, I choose relative colorametric. There are 4 choices to choose from, and they ALL will turn out different, and yet I never had a chance to have the profiler measure, when using any of those settings, so how the heck can it be correct! How can it make a profile, using none of those, but then when I use PS, I must use one, which alters the colors. Please help, I do not want to waste paper and ink till I know how to do this correctly. thanks.

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 01:31 AM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:16 AM
bhoffman

p.1 #2 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

First; if you set the monitor to adobeRGB you are using the preconfigured profile created by Dell to simulate adobeRGB. This will be a decent profile, but not as good as creating your own profile with the Colormunki.

Second; It sounds like you were using the DTP94 to calibrate a crt monitor. A lot of the newer lcd monitors don't have these adjustments available on them. If you follow the directions on the software you will end up with an accurate profile.

Third; The i1profiler software has options for different test chart sizes. If you feel you need more color patches to create your profile, then select one of the bigger test patterns.

Fourth; This is very important and you are doing it correctly. You absolutely want the color management turned off when printing the test form. As for rendering intents, these are used by the color management software to transform the image from the RGB color space to the color space of the printer. You will probably never have reason to use saturation or absolute rendering intents. The only two you should use are relative and perceptual. This link can explain it better than I can. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-space-conversion.htm

There are also a full set of videos produced by xrite on youtube that explain the operation of your colormunki.

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:58 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

Just to add to what bhoffman said, the colormunki adjusts the colors with the profile so you do not have to do it. As you have done, you need to adjust the brightness manually. That is how I do my older dell 2405FPW and it matches the prints fine.

I have made profiles previously and they work fine with the smaller number of patches. At the moment, I am using Epson paper and ink on an Epson printer so the downloaded profiles are fine.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:01 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #4 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

I got the best results with my U2711 using "Standard" as my preset mode and 120 luminance with native temp. The Colormunki automatically set brightness to 28 and contrast to 50 (at least I think it did I may have done it on a previous setting and not remembered) . Any other setting gave me a slightly green cast with the Spyder 3 the cast was greener though I don't think I ever tried native with it.

I use Spyder Print for my printer and am happy but the ColorMunki supposedly makes very good profiles.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Drayken
• • •
p.1 #5 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

Ok, I am good with the printer profiles, but still a little shaky on the monitor profiling. A few things I want to make sure.

1) DDC. The colormunki is supposed to be able to control the monitor on its own, if the monitor has DDC. The Dell U2711 has it, but from what I have been reading, it doesn't work right. So, should I turn it off on the monitor, and also uncheck the DDC in the colormunki preferences?

2) I still don't understand why I shouldn't have adobeRGB chosen. If I pick standard, won't I be losing out on why I paid so much for a wide gamut monitor??

3) The other option in colormunki, "achieve display luminance values by using video LUTs. I assume I should leave that on?

4) I'm also sticking with the version 2, since I read some programs can't use the version 4?

Thanks for everyone's help

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:39 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #6 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm

Quote from above.
One of the odd 'features' of the U2410 was that it did not seem possible to calibrate the custom color preset properly, and so we had to revert to the standard mode to get the best results. I wanted to check whether calibration of the standard profile on the U2711 produced any different results to our already excellent calibration above. All OSD settings were left as they were, but changing back to the standard preset meant RGB controls were not available at all. All corrections would be carried out by the automatic calibration process and at a graphics card level.

Again we had good correction of gamma, colour temperature and luminance here. Colour accuracy was also very good with average dE of 0.3 and max of 0.8. This was ever so slightly behind the custom color calibration where max was only 0.5. You can get good results from both presets, but neither has a particular advantage over the other on this model. Again, ICC profile available if you want it in our ICC profile database.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:22 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

I never calibrate rgb separately since I got my U2711

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Drayken
• • •
p.1 #8 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

WAYCOOL wrote:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm

Quote from above.
One of the odd 'features' of the U2410 was that it did not seem possible to calibrate the custom color preset properly, and so we had to revert to the standard mode to get the best results. I wanted to check whether calibration of the standard profile on the U2711 produced any different results to our already excellent calibration above. All OSD settings were left as they were, but changing back to the standard preset meant RGB controls were not available at all. All corrections would be carried out by the automatic calibration process and at a
...Show more

I'll go read that whole article, thx. But from the snipit that you posted, it still doesn't say if using the standard preset gives you adobeRGB. I want to make sure I am in wide gamut. Otherwise, I could have saved money and went with a different monitor.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:19 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

Standard = wide gamut on the U2711

Standard is the U2711 native mode any other mode is an attenuation of the standard mode

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:31 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #10 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

The resulting profile is much larger than sRGB it is wide gamut trust us.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:44 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

So, WAYCOOL, are you saying that standard mode is wide gamut on the U2711?

WAYCOOL wrote:
http://www.dougieville.us/images/calibrated.jpg

The resulting profile is much larger than sRGB it is wide gamut trust us.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:56 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #12 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

It doesn't quite fill the CIE 1931 XYZ color space but its pretty darn wide

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Drayken
• • •
p.1 #13 · ColorMunki owners, PLEASE HELP! Dell U2711

Thanks guys. It's not that I didn't trust you, but unless I missed it, that part wasn't addressed in this post, until now, lol. Also, after I had posted, I went and opened a few pics in browser, versus windows picture viewer, and could definitely tell a difference, so I could tell the adobeRGB. So, thanks for all your help. I hope to go calibrate tomorrow, when I have some time.

I think I may also buy an arm/bracket for the monitor, so I can turn it to portrait mode when editing. The one drawback to a 27, over a 24.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password