Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First post for critique - Foggy sunset in Pittsburgh

Tartan1749

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First post for critique - Foggy sunset in Pittsburgh

Strange weather (rain in mid January) allowed fog to form in the afternoon, so I headed downtown on my way home to snap a few with this one being my favorite. Shot @ 24mm with a 24-105 mounted to a T1i, ISO 200, f/8 1/250. The first is the jpg out of the camera, and the 2nd is the RAW image with minimal post processing and converted to B&W, then cropped. i toyed around with cropping more water off the bottom, but I liked the reflections and the balance they provided. Any tips?

Seth

Original jpg from T1i

B&W version

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:06 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First post for critique - Foggy sunset in Pittsburgh

Welcome to our little spot on FM.
Nice scene with the fog.
There isnt that much vibrance to the color shot and you could push it, but I like that you tried a BW conversion. And I prefer the second crop. keeping the duck and reflections but eliminating the "dead space" of water below. I also think the crop from the left improved the image, bringing the eye more directly to the span and buildings behind.
I'd think about dodging the fog, brightening it up a bit. It's a bit dull grey and lifeless in both versions, and with a bit of a magenta cast in the first image, seen more easily in the fog.
For a bit more drama, I'd also increase the contrast in the sky, perhaps by pulling down the luminosity of the blues, gaining more tonal separation between the clouds. A bit of a negative exposure gradient pulled from the top edge of the image would also help bring the eye to the skyline.
Finally, in anticipation of Karen's frequent and wise advise, you might bump the midtones with either a USM of something like 15/50/0 once or twice, or an increase in "Clarity" in LR.

Scott

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 01:28 AM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:39 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First post for critique - Foggy sunset in Pittsburgh

Took a stab at it ...

Sharpening & levels adjustments, some selective gamma tweaks. A little green to the highlights WB.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First post for critique - Foggy sunset in Pittsburgh

I think it's a nice image, but your original color version just seems sort of "blah". I really like the crop and the increased contrast/pop of the BW version. Here's my stab at it, maybe a bit too contrasty now, but I like the greater vibrancy.

Its funny, I did my edit before I saw Scott's specific evaluation, guess I must have been psychic because his suggestions were pretty much exactly what I did.

Jo

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password