Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of sbeme's message #11264508 « First post for critique - Foggy sunset in Pittsburgh »

sbeme
Upload & Sell: On
Re: First post for critique - Foggy sunset in Pittsburgh

Welcome to our little spot on FM.
Nice scene with the fog.
There isnt that much vibrance to the color shot and you could push it, but I like that you tried a BW conversion. And I prefer the second crop. keeping the duck and reflections but eliminating the "dead space" of water below. I also think the cop from the left improved the image, bringing the eye more directly to the span and buildings behind.
I'd think about dodging the fog, brightening it up a bit. It's a bit dull grey and lifeless in both versions, and with a bit of a magenta cast in the first image, seen more easily in the fog.
For a bit more drama, I'd also increase the contrast in the sky, perhaps by pulling down the luminosity of the blues, gaining more tonal separation between the clouds. A bit of a negative exposure gradient pulled from the top edge of the image would also help bring the eye to the skyline.
Finally, in anticipation of Karen's frequent and wise advise, you might bump the midtones with either a USM of something like 15/50/0 once or twice, or an increase in "Clarity" in LR.

Scott

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:39 AM

Previous versions of sbeme's message #11264508 « First post for critique - Foggy sunset in Pittsburgh »