Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

mike kobal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

Hi guys,
from my latest beauty shoot, wide open with the DC Nikkor 135mm f2 and 85mm 1.4, hope some of you will find it useful
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=6342
cheers,
Mike

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:42 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

Lovely set. As a maximum aperture kind of guy myself, I find that I have underestimated the required DOF many, many times. In your series shots 3 & 5 have the close eye at critical focus, but the away eye nearly, but not, in focus. This is in contrast to image # 2 where the two eye's focal planes are very clearly separate; and in #4 where the planes are identical. My point is that nearly-in focus creates a bothersome ambiguity that clearly out of focus does not - especially in tight shots that emphasize the eyes.

I have made hundreds, if not thousands, of portraits where I have committed the same technique that I'm criticizing here. In retrospect and in being honest, I find that had I worked at 2.0 or 2.2 instead of 1.2 or 1.4, I'd have made a stronger contact with the model and a better portrait - yet without disrupting the dreamy atmosphere I was afraid of ruining by stopping down slightly.

Just my personal analysis. Everything else about your series and model and very lovely to my eyes.

John Caldwell

Edited on Jan 11, 2013 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:42 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

I know it was intentional, and I know it was supposed to break the rules, but for me this rule breaking is not working I don't mind portraits with narrow DoF and have shot and shown many myself, but for me a beauty shoot is all about that crisp, sharp appearance and being able to take in all the detail. This set lost that in my eyes.

They are, however, beautifully styled and beautifully lit. And they certainly stand out from the crowd.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:50 PM
mike kobal
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

thanks for your feedback, John and ChiShutter. I am very interested to hear fellow photographers opinions. The blurry approach was a team request and putting the second eye out of focus was intentional, for the finals we even went further and applied additional blur in post to simulate that large format feeling. Usually we shoot beauty "sharp" and this was a welcome break for everyone involved, of course I don't have enough distance to judge it since I just shot it and the team loved it -but we are all biased of course-I am really grateful for feedback here, looking forward to more comments.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:59 PM

ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

Have to agree with ChiShutter. Not digging it I'm afraid. I could handle the softness and oof thing but not with one eye in and one out. I don't think this style of oof/soft image suits the styling myself. Just my opinion of course.

P.S what was supposed to be helpful or did I miss something?

Jan 12, 2013 at 09:34 AM
poshyp
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

Very nice.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:54 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

ct8282 wrote

P.S what was supposed to be helpful or did I miss something?

Not to shoot beauty shots wide open .

As other have said for this type of shooting would have liked to see more, The third one the nose and lips in focus while the eyes are blurred.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

I like the shots, they are very well composed

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password