Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of John Caldwell's message #11260728 « Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field »

John Caldwell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field

Lovely set. As a maximum aperture kind of guy myself, I find that I have underestimated the required DOF many, many times. In your series shots 3 & 5 have the close eye at critical focus, but the away eye nearly, but not, in focus. This is in contrast to image # 2 where the two eye's focal planes are very clearly separate; and in #4 where the planes are identical. My point is that nearly-in focus creates a bothersome ambiguity that clearly out of focus does not - especially in tight shots that emphasize the eyes.

I have made hundreds, if not thousands, of portraits where I have committed the same technique that I'm criticizing here. In retrospect and in being honest, I find that had I worked at 2.0 or 2.2 instead of 1.2 or 1.4, I'd have made a stronger contact with the model's and a better portrait - yet without disrupting the dreamy atmosphere I was afraid of ruining by stopping down slightly.

Just my personal analysis. Everything else about your series and model and very lovely to my eyes.

John Caldwell

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:42 PM

Previous versions of John Caldwell's message #11260728 « Model glamour beauty/shallow depth of field »