New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

Joel Knepper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

For a couple of years now we've been shooting with a few 580EX IIs, both on and off camera, with Radiopoppers. My wife and I each have one on our camera (5D Mark II and 7D) and we share 2 off camera in either ETTL, manual, or one of each, depending on the situation. We've enjoyed the system but lately it has just become too unreliable. There were always some misfires but recently it has gotten really bad and I can't figure out where the problem is. We've gotten to the point of being so fed up with flashes not firing, or misfiring at 1/1 that we are looking for other options. So, obviously we've started looking at the new 600EX RTs as a replacement system. The only thing holding me back is the compatibility issues with our cameras. I've read about a billion reviews and forum posts on this topic so I'm sorry to post again but I just want to try to clarify that how we use our flashed will work before buying anything.

Here is what I would like to know: Using a 5D Mark II or 7D - Can I have an on camera 600EX, set to fire in ETTL, fire two separate off camera 600EX slaves (in radio mode of course, I have no us for optical)? Can one slave be ETTL and the other manual? Will controls for slaves set in manual be on the slave flash (as they currently are on the 590EX II, or will they be able to be adjusted on the master? Can I still use the on camera flash just to trigger the slaves, not to fire it's own flash? If the answer is yes above, can this be done in HSS?

And finally, I'm curious about how the radio features affect the battery life. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

I don't think you'll get much if any advantage out of the 600EX RT unless you use a 5D III or 1DX. With those bodies, the radio system works great, but with older bodies the radio isn't functional.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Joel Knepper
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

Photon wrote:
I don't think you'll get much if any advantage out of the 600EX RT unless you use a 5D III or 1DX. With those bodies, the radio system works great, but with older bodies the radio isn't functional.

I know that's what Canon says but there are a lot of reports of people using the radio features with older bodies. That's why I'm asking for first hand experiences.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:07 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

Another option is these triggers:

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Transceiver/dp/B009EJSWJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357161252&sr=8-2&keywords=622c+yongnuo

I have them and they work great with all of my Canon flashes. They do utilize the in-camera flash menu, so they will work best with 5DIII/1Dx level bodies, but will work on a more basic level with older bodies as well.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

Joel Knepper wrote:
I know that's what Canon says but there are a lot of reports of people using the radio features with older bodies. That's why I'm asking for first hand experiences.

I should try it with my 5DII. I'll let you know if I get useful results. Meanwhile maybe others will spot this. You might consider changing the thread title to 600EX RT with 5DII/7D.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:19 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

Basically, the 600EX-RT will work on the 5D II and 7D just like the 580EX optical system, and yes radio mode works just fine, including HSS, but you will need to setup on the flash, not the camera menu. Some new features like group mode are for newer 2012+ bodies.

I sold my PW Flex/Mini TT5/TT1 and 580EX II flashes setup, and greatly prefer the newer Canon system on both my 5D II and 5D III.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Joel Knepper
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

I just thought of another important question. Can more than one master flash unit (on different bodies) be simultaneously linked to the same set of slaves?

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:49 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

^^^Page 60 of the 600EX-RT user manual states that you can have more than one master unit... max of 16 total (master and slaves). The first master lights up green, the subsequent ones orange.

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 07:14 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Joel Knepper
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

jrscls wrote:
^^^Page 60 of the 600EX-RT user manual states that you can have more than one master unit... max of 16 total (master and slaves). The first master lights up green, the subsequent ones orange.

thanks!

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:29 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

Photon wrote:

^^^ This is just wrong.

What doesnt work is the on camera menu system and a few extra bits as said above.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Joel Knepper
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

RobDickinson wrote:
^^^ This is just wrong.

What doesnt work is the on camera menu system and a few extra bits as said above.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks!

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:17 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

RobDickinson wrote:
^^^ This is just wrong.

I agree 100%... We are currently using a total of (6) 600EX-RT's, have been since about July, 3 of them on camera (on 5DmkIII's and mkII's) and off camera. All radio functions work perfectly with either body and that isn't even stated in the instructions so I don't know where this mis-information has come from. The instruction manual does state that high speed sync will not work with anything older than 5DmkIII/1Dx, but in my experience, that is no correct. I don't know why canon would print this. The instruction manual also states that sync speed will be cut in half when using anything older than 5DmkIII/1Dx... again, this is no true based on my experience for the last 6 months or so.

Being wedding photographers, we have pretty extensive use of the system. It works great, but we have discovered a few tricks to make it work better. First. I always turn on the Masters first... When I turn them on, I scan for the best channel. I've also set a wireless radio ID, as directed on pg. 53 of the manual. You must also remember that the entire system will only recycle as fast as slowest flash..... so if one flash in the system has bad batteries, it will slow the entire system down. We've just had to learn to change batteries. Also, these flashes seem to be more susceptible to heat... the sensor that prevents the flash from firing so it doesn't over heat is much more sensitive than on the 580's... we used to use the 580's just like you. Hope this helps... if you have any other questions, let me know.

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:18 AM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

RichardLavigne is 100% correct. They will work perfectly in HSS.
Check out this post I contributed to which shows my set up;
600EX + 5D2

These units work great with PW TT5 units too just not in the Canon Radio mode.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Joel Knepper
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

Thank you RichardLavigne!

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Joel Knepper
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

Just got 4 yesterday and have been doing a lot of testing with them. I like the setup and adjustment - seems very simple. However, the one big thing I am missing is the ability to do individual slave mode in radio (it seems it can only be done in optical). In the past, using radiopoppers, we were able to have our on camera flash fire in ttl and have the off camera slaves set to manual. I knew that it would not be possible to control slave output with the master on the 5DII (using the group feature), but I was hoping I would be able to manually set the slave power (on the slave itself) and fire it from a ttl master, with the radio system.

So, I guess I'm either sending back the 600s and sticking with the radiopoppers or buying a 5DIII for myself AND a 6D for my wife. ugh.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 600EX RTs with 5d Mark II or 7D

RobDickinson wrote:
^^^ This is just wrong.

I stand corrected and apologize for repeating misinformation. I had only used the 600s with the new bodies.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.