Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · DELL XPS 12

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DELL XPS 12

What do you guys think? It's a convertible so it serves as a notebook and also flips over to use as a tablet. It's for light photo editing and to be used as a college student's main machine.

Win8 64bit, 8gb, i7 3.0Ghz, 12.5" screen, USB 3.0, Mini-Display port, 1080p rez, 47w/hr battery, 10 finger multi-touch IPS screen, 256GB SSD: about $1700

Edited on Dec 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:55 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DELL XPS 12

Looks flimsy(weak, easy to break) to me, I'd rather have a tablet with a detachable keyboard.

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:17 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DELL XPS 12

Nah. Would rather have a Zenbook or Air.

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:59 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DELL XPS 12

I'd rather have a Macbook Air at that price.

Also, two quick things: i) Really, 47hr battery, or is that "watt hour"? If any company had a battery lasting 47 hrs for a low-power tablet, let alone an i7 (of any variety), that would be major news to me, and I'd expect more like 3.5 to 7 hrs max from a 47 watt-hour battery. ii) i7 3.0 really doesn't say much about the processor, such as how many cores, what generation chip, whether hyperthreading is enabled.

And now that I think of it... why is this in the Alternative and not General gear forum?

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:45 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DELL XPS 12

OK, quick search:

- Expect 5 hrs of battery life.

-The $1400 model has a dual-core (hyptherthreading enabled) 1.9 ghz processor-- that can TURBO boost to 3.0. That's a big difference than having a 3.0 ghz chip, or having a 4-core non-hyperthreaded (or better yet, 4-core, hyperthreaded) chip.

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:53 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DELL XPS 12

You are college student?

Seems nice to me, only downside is probably battery life and inability to use aftermarket one (tho most of this kind cant).

Im not exactly fan of ultrabooks, but this seems as nice mix of ultrabook and tablet.

For myself I would buy some superpowered and heavy notebook.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DELL XPS 12

Check out the screen - I have a Dell E6230 (and an E4300 before it) and the screen is no good for photo work. Poor viewing angles and very restricted gamut.

Dec 24, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DELL XPS 12

justruss wrote:
i) Really, 47hr battery, or is that "watt hour"?

Yeah, that's battery capacity. 47.x w/hr (Sorry, forgot my double-u). It's rated at 5.5hrs to 6hrs in "normal use" @ full brightness - whatever "normal use" is.

ii) i7 3.0 really doesn't say much about the processor, such as how many cores, what generation chip, whether hyperthreading is enabled.
Gen-3, dual-core+HT, 4MB Cache

StevenPA wrote:
Nah. Would rather have a Zenbook or Air.

I looked at the zenbooks and this DELL is built tougher - even tho the pics make the XPS-12 look kinda flimsy.

justruss wrote:
-The $1400 model has a dual-core (hyptherthreading enabled) 1.9 ghz processor-- that can TURBO boost to 3.0. That's a big difference than having a 3.0 ghz chip, or having a 4-core non-hyperthreaded (or better yet, 4-core, hyperthreaded) chip.

What lightweight laptops have those?

Mescalamba wrote:
You are college student?

No.

For myself I would buy some superpowered and heavy notebook.
Yup, that's me too! But I can't see a uni freshman lugging one around campus unless he was a total game freak!

15Bit wrote:
Check out the screen - I have a Dell E6230 (and an E4300 before it) and the screen is no good for photo work. Poor viewing angles and very restricted gamut.

160˚ view angle IPS screen - 176ppi. Gorilla glass top. It's glossy tho. I can't find any info on the gamut - but still looking...

Here's a review from CNET: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-12/4505-3121_7-35427784.html

Edited on Dec 25, 2012 at 06:23 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:56 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DELL XPS 12

Wish I could afford top end notebooks when I studied , bought my first computer only after I finished uni !

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:06 PM
Tony5787

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DELL XPS 12

Why don't you look at the 13" Retina Macbook Pro? With the education discount you can get the base model for only $200 more. Sure it has 128gb flash storage instead of the 256gb but that shouldn't matter because you should be using external storage for files. Unless you're planning on having 128gb of apps that shouldn't matter. The Retina has a better processor, better screen (and slightly larger), and the same amount of RAM. I'm in college right now as well and if I had that computer available when I had started there's no question it's what I would have gotten.

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DELL XPS 12

I think the student should start with determining what software he/she will need, then which operating system supports it best and only after that what hardware platform is needed.

Even if it seemingly does not matter, because the software exists for both, Office for Mac is bothersome, Creative Suite may crash more frequently on Windows etc.

If this is already determined and PC is the best choice, I would think twice before paying extra for touch screen, if it is really going to help with apps he/she uses and if it would not be smarter to spend the money for better battery life, larger display, more memory, monitor that calibrates better or whatnot.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DELL XPS 12

IPS screens are usually good, I doubt its bad tho didnt manage to find how much sRGB it covers. Standart is 95% sRGB, might be more, might be less.

Sorta pity theres no 100% sRGB with calibration in some ultrabook or big tablet, could be pretty useful.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DELL XPS 12

Edgars Kalnins wrote:
Wish I could afford top end notebooks when I studied , bought my first computer only after I finished uni

I wish there were such things as laptops at all when I was at uni! When I graduated high-school there wasn't even such a thing as a "personal computer" which was commercially available. So man, if I had a laptop! Wow! I woulda been like, Elroy Jetson or something.

Tony5787 wrote:
Why don't you look at the 13" Retina Macbook Pro? With the education discount you can get the base model for only $200 more. Sure it has 128gb flash storage instead of the 256gb but that shouldn't matter because you should be using external storage for files. Unless you're planning on having 128gb of apps that shouldn't matter. The Retina has a better processor, better screen (and slightly larger), and the same amount of RAM. I'm in college right now as well and if I had that computer available when I had started there's no question it's what I would
...Show more

I looked. There's no such thing as a student discount in Japan or so I was told by the Apple Store manager in 2011. Also I don't think Macs are acceptable at Uni. I mean most Universities here REQUIRE every student to purchase a laptop - usually through the school itself and especially at private universities. Because of this there are restrictions on which types are considered fulfillment of that requirement. A tablet by itself isn't, and if I'm not mistaken OS X or Linux based laptops aren't either. And I can totally understand why too.

Mainly because that would potentially cause the professors and support staff a lot of extra work. I taught at Japanese universities here for eight years or so and setting up the lab machines as well as the student laptops was kinda time consuming - I can imagine the increase in clusterfukishness by opening myself up to Linux and OS X. Given the opportunity I would take a pass on that myself so I can see why the schools officially do it as well.

Secondarily because both Mac and Linux are at a severe disadvantage what it comes to app availability. Sure, 75% of the big popular apps are available for Mac - but only about 25% of the lesser known smaller apps are - and it's not growing either! In fact I would say it's shrinking. About 5 or 6 years ago when Apple went intel there began a rush for developers to port their apps over to OS X. Since then Apple has kinda screwed the pooch several times and many devs have just stopped updating or supporting the platform. Also the initial rush to port for Apple is gone and these days smaller devs think twice before taking on a whole-nother platform. I kinda think this is one reason Apple is proactively merging iOS with OS X more and more with every new OS X release - because development on iOS is growing, and will be for a long time to come it appears. OS X appears to be decreasing and I can only assume that trend will continue - to some degree at least.

But hey, if I had my way I would require all students of get Amiga OS or Linux based machines!

Mescalamba wrote:
IPS screens are usually good, I doubt its bad tho didnt manage to find how much sRGB it covers. Standart is 95% sRGB, might be more, might be less.

Sorta pity theres no 100% sRGB with calibration in some ultrabook or big tablet, could be pretty useful.

I read a thread on a discussion board where someone claimed the XPS-12's gamut was 57% but that was weeks before it released too so something tells me I was reading one of those all too common modern day phenomena known as "Internet Experts". (meaning of course I think he was full of it...)

Mirek Elsner wrote:
If this is already determined and PC is the best choice, I would think twice before paying extra for touch screen, if it is really going to help with apps he/she uses and if it would not be smarter to spend the money for better battery life, larger display, more memory, monitor that calibrates better or whatnot.

It's price-tag is actually on equal footing with other inexpensive laptops which don't have either the touch-screen nor the transformer capabilities. So those are like free extras if you think of it that way. My thinking on the usefulness of the tablet transformation is for social situations where he and his friends might be standing around or sitting around a coffee table. If it's anything like my social life that will come in handy. I can't think of a gathering I've been at in the past 6 or 8 months where a hand-held or tablet was not pulled out and used to verify some fact being claimed, expand some topic being discussed, or to share some art or music that wasn't known to the group. Course, most of my friends are teachers and professors so that may make some difference I dunno. I do think it's a bit of a different world from when I went to school tho.

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:04 PM
kahren
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DELL XPS 12

get a tf300 with keyboard dock, 9 hours in tablet battery and +7hrs in keyboard/mouse dock
you can get ms office from google store

Dec 25, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DELL XPS 12

Asus Taichi

Specs:

OS
Windows 8 / Windows 8 Pro

CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-3517U
Intel® Core™ i5-3317U

Memory
DDR3 1600MHz 4GB (on board)

Storage
SATA III SSD 128GB / 256GB

Display
Tablet: 11.6" 16:9 with 10 fingers Touch FHD (1920 x 1080)
NB: 11.6" 16:9 FHD (1920 x 1080)

Graphic
Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Camera
Tablet: 5M with Auto Focus 1080P Camera
NB: HD 720p Camera

Connectivity
802.11 a/b/g/n with Intel WIDI support
External cable supports10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Bluetooth 4.0

Interface
1 x Mini VGA port, 2 x USB 3.0 port, 1 x Micro HDMI 1.4 (1080p support),
1 x Audio jack combo, 1 x Volume up/down, 1 x DC Jack, 1 x Screen switch

Battery
35Whr (Up to 5 hours)

Dimension / Weight
30.66 x 19.93 x 1.74 cm
1.25kg

Dec 25, 2012 at 07:27 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DELL XPS 12

Bifurcator wrote:
I read a thread on a discussion board where someone claimed the XPS-12's gamut was 57% but that was weeks before it released too so something tells me I was reading one of those all too common modern day phenomena known as "Internet Experts". (meaning of course I think he was full of it...)

That might not be as big a pile of BS as you think. I can't comment on the XPS-12 itself, but this is the gamut output for my E6230 according to my Spyder3 calibration. It doesn't give a % number, but you can see its a lot smaller than the RGB colour space shown in green:

Dec 25, 2012 at 07:39 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DELL XPS 12

kahren wrote:
get a tf300 with keyboard dock, 9 hours in tablet battery and +7hrs in keyboard/mouse dock
you can get ms office from google store
http://campuslife.asus.com/index/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/HotHardwareEC.jpg

Strike one! - Bluetooth 3.0
Strike two! - USB 2.0
Rained out! - Android (Linux) OS

Edward Castro wrote:
Asus Taichi [url=http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/img/Taichi/productShot_1.jpg

Specs:
OS]http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/img/Taichi/productShot_1.jpg

Specs:
OS[/url]: Windows 8 / Windows 8 Pro
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3517U / Intel® Core™ i5-3317U
Memory: DDR3 1600MHz 4GB (on board)
Storage: SATA III SSD 128GB / 256GB
Display: Tablet: 11.6" 16:9 with 10 fingers Touch FHD (1920 x 1080) / NB: 11.6" 16:9 FHD (1920 x 1080)
Graphic: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Camera: Tablet: 5M with Auto Focus 1080P Camera / NB: HD 720p Camera
Connectivity: 802.11 a/b/g/n with Intel WIDI support / External cable supports10/100 Mbps Ethernet / Bluetooth 4.0
Interface: 1 x Mini VGA port,
...Show more

Hmmm, that looks nice! It meets all the same specs as the Dell I listed but additionally has faster RAM. On the downside the battery is slightly weaker and I was kinda thinking that the double-sided screen design was whack. So when I first started looking and comparing models I disqualified anything with a double screen like that.

But do you have one of these? What is your experience using the 2 back to back screens like that? Upsides? Downsides?

Thanks!

Bifurcator wrote:

15Bit wrote:
That might not be as big a pile of BS as you think. I can't comment on the XPS-12 itself, but this is the gamut output for my E6230 according to my Spyder3 calibration. It doesn't give a % number, but you can see its a lot smaller than the RGB colour space shown in green: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8223/8307141573_f4b923d551.jpg

Hmm, yeah that looks like it could be down around the high 60's somewhere. That's kinda bad (isn't it?)... Is that an IPS screen too?

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DELL XPS 12

Bifurcator wrote:
Hmm, yeah that looks like it could be down around the high 60's somewhere. That's kinda bad (isn't it?)... Is that an IPS screen too?

Website says "LED Backlit". Not sure what that means in this context.

And yes, it is a pretty poor screen. Shame, as the rest of the laptop is pretty decent.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DELL XPS 12

Bifurcator wrote:
But do you have one of these? What is your experience using the 2 back to back screens like that? Upsides? Downsides?

Sorry, but these will come out I think 1st Q, so nope, don't have one. I've been looking at them my self, but I'm also waiting for reviews once it comes out.

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:00 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DELL XPS 12

Bifurcator wrote:

15Bit wrote:
Website says "LED Backlit". Not sure what that means in this context.
And yes, it is a pretty poor screen. Shame, as the rest of the laptop is pretty decent.

Yup, sounds like a bummer. Although I'm not sure what 65% of sRGB would actually look like. Do you actually notice any difference between that and say a $250 23" IPS or TN monitor?

As for the XPS-12 being LED backlit, where did you see that? That's interesting. And of course other than a potential contrast boost and a more evenly lit display, I'm not sure what that implies either. It sounds good tho! Or maybe not either Isn't LED backlighting electrically more expensive? Seems like that might be a battery drain? No?

Bifurcator wrote:

Edward Castro wrote:
Sorry, but these will come out I think 1st Q, so nope, don't have one. I've been looking at them my self, but I'm also waiting for reviews once it comes out.

OK, I get ya. I asked to be shown one with a double-sided screen like that at the shop so I could more clearly make an informed decision but he said "they weren't currently in" - to wit I assumed he meant all sold out. I'll go back in again in a few days and see. I think the potential upside to this design is that (if both screens can be on simultaneously) two people or groups of people sitting face to face as they would at a picnic table, can view the screen(s) more perfectly than a shared tablet laying flat. I think the downsides are mainly that the device always needs to be cared for as if it were a hugh tablet device: Careful of direct sunlight, keeping it in a sheath while in the back-pack, back shows gloomy finger-grease to on-lookers when the back screen is off and used in Laptop orientation, perhaps additional weight, massive battery drain if both screens are used at once - if that's even possible, and probably something else I'm not thinking of too. My initial reaction to the design when I heard/read of it was that the designer was talentless choosing to brutally replace wit with resource. But again, I dunno. In practice it might be the best way to go. <shrug>

I guess another potential upside is that it might be able to use the two screens independently and simultaneously for something like a teacher/student session (or game etc.) where one person sees one screen and the other person sitting opposite, sees the other. Are makers smart enough for that tho? My initial guess is no although it might be hackable.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:18 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password