Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Saw this over on POTN.

5d2 officially discontinued.

Say you will about the 5d2. Crappola AF being its main Achilles heel. But in my mind, it is the camera that kicked off the hdslr scene. Millions of awesome photos were taken by this camera. It remained the most popular camera for wedding/portrait crowd. The camera like it's predecessor, forced Nikon into playing catch-up with hdslr and high MP in a compact dslr

Good bye friend.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

You can always buy one from the UK.......

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_II/

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:02 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

A good long run.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:04 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

I would love to know how many Canon produced. They never release any numbers like this, do they?

I'm sure mine is in no danger of being a collector's item

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:15 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

M Lucca wrote:
Good bye friend.

Your killing me... I JUST bought one, So I'm outdated before I actually get the camera in my hands

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:19 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Yes, sorry robstein, but your 5D MKII has a self-termination chip. No more MKII photos for you after 2014.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:02 AM
fredv
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

robstein wrote:
Your killing me... I JUST bought one, So I'm outdated before I actually get the camera in my hands

... Me to I got mine 2 days ago, going from 8mp to 21mp.. I love being obsolete

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

M Lucca wrote:
Saw this over on POTN.

5d2 officially discontinued.

Say you will about the 5d2. Crappola AF being its main Achilles heel. But in my mind, it is the camera that kicked off the hdslr scene. Millions of awesome photos were taken by this camera. It remained the most popular camera for wedding/portrait crowd. The camera like it's predecessor, forced Nikon into playing catch-up with hdslr and high MP in a compact dslr

Good bye friend.

Its a fine camera, and provided a bigger increment of improvement over the previous model than the 5D3 has over the 5D2. It introduced a number of very useful features: 21MP sensor, video, live view, improved high ISO performance.

The supposed problems with camera - which, like all cameras falls short of divine perfection - have been greatly overrated.

I'm not at all surprised that it would be discontinued - fairly predictable given the time it was on the market, and the introduction of the 5D3 and the 6D. I'm not going to replace mine for either of those bodies, as competent as they are, and those who picked one up at the sell-off prices will enjoy a fine camera for a long time.

Dan

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:25 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Agree that anyone just buying a 5D2 is getting alot of IQ for alot less money. Although the more we hear about the 6D the better the new camera sounds.

(Sniffs disconsolately) The 5D2 was the camera that set me free from years of crop sensor tyranny!

Was an early adopter of the 5D2, loved it and expect it to be my main DSLR at least until the 5D4 or 6D2 come out. At least now the 5D2 is discontinued I can ramble on and on about my "5D2 Classic". How long will Canon service the Mk2 by the way?

Dec 23, 2012 at 07:07 AM
aladyforty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

love mine, and Ive never had an issue with the focus, highly over rated

Dec 23, 2012 at 07:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

robstein wrote:

You should check out the Reuters Press photos thread and the 5DII pics at 500pix, it has been the camera of choice for some of the best guys around for several years.

I bought a 5D3 and it's a great camera but I see no reason to stop using my 5DII, certainly not any IQ improvements at lower ISO's. The 5DII is probably the best value FF around now.

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:31 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

The 5D2 was the first digital camera I really liked and didn't feel like IQ, viewfinder or handling were compromised over my EOS 3. I know folks on this forum love to whine about its AF but I never found it wanting and rarely missed a shot due to AF failure. In fact I found AF a lot more reliable than the cameras I owned a few years before it, e.g., EOS 3, Élan 7E, 10D, 20D and 5D.

Although the 5D2 has ceased production, my copy should solider on for a few more years.

RIP 5D2.

Dec 23, 2012 at 09:52 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Now both my 5Ds are obsolete Never had a problem with their AF in my use. The only reason I'm interested in the 5D3 is for the f8 AF so I can use my 100-400 with a 1.4x to replace my 7D. Then I'll be free of crop sensor tyranny! Even if I get a 5D3 my 24-105 will probably live on the 5D2, no rest or peace for it!

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:09 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Yes, great camera in any aspect important to me. The best tool I ever owned. But yes, the new cameras add some important features for me, too. What I would love if I find a way, is to keep mine as reliable backup and add the 6D. Imo the 6D is the real 5D II follow up and 5D III should have been named 3D (with ECF added).

This camera presented me a great time in growing into making photography my main income.
Thank you Canon.

Fanboy Ralphi

Edited on Dec 23, 2012 at 04:00 PM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:45 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

ahahaah Ralph....gotta love you for that last line /signature ))

I owned a 5D II too for about a year and had to sell to buy a motorcycle..

Great camera, great IQ, beautiful files but I really felt the crappy AF system (especially on the 24L II)....

Would I buy one now? Nah, I'd go for the 1D3 or 6D

Would I recommend it as a good/capable camera? Definitely!

I still believe the best bang for the buck,ever, is the 5Dc. You can't beat that... You just can't...

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:53 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

The best bang for the buck in my life was an EOS D60. Found in my dealers cellar three years ago and offered new at € 249. It was presented in the sales window. The next day I graped the money, went to the shop and it was ... sold already. I passed it. :-(

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:08 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

My 5d2 is my workhorse, and I've never had issues with the AF-- though I only use center point, and I often use it with 35L with no problems with focus recompose.

Great tool. Great IQ. I'd take more DR, and better high ISO cleanliness, but really these are quibbles next to what this camera has produced for me both in terms of images and $$$.

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:25 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Bought my 5D MkII about 28 days ago. I knew about the 6D, but I went with tried and true instead of latest and greatest. Since buying, it has dropped in price $200.00. B&H has credited me the $200.00, so for $2400.00 I got a full frame camera and a very useful L lens that will last me many years. Kudos to Canon and Nikon for bringing affordable full frame to the masses. I couldn't be happier.

Dec 23, 2012 at 06:06 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

adrianb wrote:
I still believe the best bang for the buck,ever, is the 5Dc. You can't beat that... You just can't...

+1.Looking to upgrade my 1DMKIIN, but I'm keeping my 5Dc Still love looking at the files that come out of that baby.

Dec 23, 2012 at 06:40 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

gdanmitchell wrote:
Its a fine camera, and provided a bigger increment of improvement over the previous model than the 5D3 has over the 5D2. It introduced a number of very useful features: 21MP sensor, video, live view, improved high ISO performance.

The supposed problems with camera - which, like all cameras falls short of divine perfection - have been greatly overrated.

I'm not at all surprised that it would be discontinued - fairly predictable given the time it was on the market, and the introduction of the 5D3 and the 6D. I'm not going to replace mine for either of those bodies, as
...Show more

I own all 5d versions and mk2 was really improving is dust cleaning and af adjustments, anything else was minor or useless like video for example. I am in love with 5d classic IQ until now. Video is really different world to the most here, never been excited about and never will. My iphone takes great videos in my lame video opinion.

Edited on Dec 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password