New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Gene_C
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

I'm not looking for sympathy here just a few opinions. I have completed a lot of good honest transactions over the years on B&S and can honestly say I never cheated anyone and no one has cheated me. In this case it was me that got blindsided by a member in good standing and with limited but respectable feedback. Here is the link to the ad.

Link removed, please check my feedback.

The lens was received without delay. Upon inspecting it the first thing I found out was that the lens was grey market not USA as described in the ad. The seller claims that he was the original owner and that the lens was sparingly used on only on two gigs. The lens mount shows heavy brassing the full circumference of the mount. He claimed it was normal wear from the two gigs. He argued the point that it was not grey market because Adorama does not sell grey market, he said he was the original owner but that it was a demo lens when he bought it, maybe so. The lens serial indicates that it was made in 2006. After voicing complaints about his inaccurate description , I agreed to accept it at a reduced price of $875. There was also a track worn in the paint from turning the Kirk bracket vertical to horizontal, the lens was obviously well used. He said if I wasn't satisfied I could return it. However it was working and I had it and needed it so I went for it. I checked it out at a local venue and in the backyard, maybe 30 shots. He claims to have paid $54 for shipping from Fresno Ca. to Orange County, about 210 miles. What about his shipping charge if I return it. My response to him was I can Fedex ground it back in one day for less than $20.
Less than 4 days after receiving it I took the lens with me to Bosque in NM, I used the lens for less than 100 shots. The next day I was going to use it again, the lens would not autofocus. The focusing motor was shot. He mentioned that the lens motor squeaked in the ad, I had the same lens before, that one squeaked as well even when new, I wasn't worried too much about the squeak.
I returned to the motel and immediately wrote to him telling him what had happened and that I was going to return the lens per his previous offer. I said I would check the lens out further when I got home, his response was to keep him informed. I returned home, checked the camera body and indeed it was the lens. I wrote to him, his response was that he reduced the price which finalized the sale and was not accepting it for return. This of course came after he found out the focusng motor died.

I have since opened a case with paypal. I reported the facts, he stated his side of the story and claims that he doesn't know what I did to the lens but I did something because it worked perfectly when he had it. The whole transaction was filled with lies from start to finish.

Any opinions, comments or suggestions on what to do more than what I have done already would be appreciated.
My lens died within 4 days and less than 200 clicks and the seller says it's my problem.

Gene

Edited on Dec 19, 2012 at 06:43 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:15 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

"After voicing complaints about his inaccurate description, I agreed to accept it at a reduced price of $875.".... I think you may have stepped on your own foot Of course, since the "word on the street" here and elsewhere is that PP has a preferential option to side with the buyer, you'll probably come out OK, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

I know what you are saying but the lens really should work for more than 4 days. I am hoping you are right on the pp part of it. Thanks.

gene

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Not much help, I'm afraid, Gene. I must say, however, that I'm a little bit non-plussed by the apparent pristine condition of the lens mount as depicted in the picture on the post you linked to relative to your description of it being brassed as you found it. ??

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Tough one.

I offer returns on my sales for any reason with in seven days (return shipping not included). IME, if the seller doesn't say anything about returns, then you should ask, before buying.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

anthonysemone wrote:
Not much help, I'm afraid, Gene. I must say, however, that I'm a little bit non-plussed by the apparent pristine condition of the lens mount as depicted in the picture on the post you linked to relative to your description of it being brassed as you found it. ??

Anthony,

Trust me, it's brassed all the way around. His picture is junk, the brassed part is OOF, you can see a faint color of brass if you look though. It's solid brass color and all the way around. I could put up a picture and easily show it, his doesn't nor does it show the track worn in the paint from the kirk bracket.

Gene

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Did you back up your purchase with a credit card?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

jcolwell wrote:
Tough one.

I offer returns on my sales for any reason with in seven days (return shipping not included). IME, if the seller doesn't say anything about returns, then you should ask, before buying.

He did offer a return but changed his mind when the lens stopped focusing in a mere 4 days of ownership.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Wobble wrote:
Did you back up your purchase with a credit card?

No, that was another lesson learned. I paid from pp balance.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

With respect to accepting the lowered price, my take is a little different from Anthony's. Gene accepted the lower price in return for accepting a lens that was in lesser cosmetic condition than described, and that was not a USA model; this still assumed that the lens functioned as it should. So, I can empathize with him about wanting to return a broken lens.

I also understand that sellers don't want to be "on the hook" for things that can go wrong after the sale is made. However, since most of us use Paypal, we're bound by their TOS. Therefore, even if a seller doesn't offer a refund or return policy, by virtue of using Paypal, he or she is bound to take returns or offer refunds (not all cases are the same, and I'm speaking very broadly). I know many people feel like they're not B&H or Adorama, and that a buyer buying used gear on the forum is assuming a level of risk. That may well be true, but if you use Paypal, their rules trump all others.

Good luck getting this resolved, Gene.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:39 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

good point, Mitesh.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:49 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Thanks Mitesh, you are correct. I accepted the lower than described condition but really did expect the lens to work. Thanks for the good luck .

Gene

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

You should have turned away the second he mentioned squeaking. It can be (and in this case is) a death to the lens. The 28-70 was notorious for this.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

I went over that with the seller, he says it squeaked from day one. his comment was no worries. After the fact I'm thinking that the squeak just recently started, he was bailing out of it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM
J_Glowacki
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

The mount in the picture appears to be from the Teleconverter, not this lens....

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Now that I look at it, you're right. He doesn't show the mount. Thanks.....

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:10 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Boy, i missed that for sure!! And more telling about this guy(?), is this: not a word from him on this thread. Hell, send him a PM and invite him to comment. I'm betting he just screwed his next sale or purchase on this forum

Dec 19, 2012 at 04:45 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Oh and FYI, this thread will probably be shut down as soon as fred see's it. Its generally a no-no to call out people in public.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

All is well now. I contacted pp this afternoon. They said to return the lens to him immediately and provide them with the tracking number. No questions asked. Include delivery confirmation on the shipment. When the lens is shown to be accepted I will get my refund along with my return shipping cost which was $14.76. His shipping charge was a claimed $54..

If he refuses shipment the lens gets returned to me along my refund. Thanks for all of the support guys.It looks like justice has been served.

Gene

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:38 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Quick question: what did you learn from this experience? It may be helpful to others who are new here.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.