Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Thinking of switching

DaveOls
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Thinking of switching

I have been waiting for the announcement of a D400 for quite a while now. I had thought of getting a D700 instead, as all of my lenses are FX other than a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
If the D400 doesn't come out soon, I was thinking of switching to a Sony A77 which has some really good reviews. I'm not sure about the EVF though instead of an OVF. Can you get adapters for Nikon AF, and AIS lenses for the A77. Would my AIS lenses even meter on it. Should I be asking about the Sony in the Sony forum, as I don't imagine many people here own the camera.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:38 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #2 · Thinking of switching

There is no Sony forum.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Thinking of switching

You can try this question out on the alt gear forum. There are a number of Sony users there.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:48 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #4 · Thinking of switching

I posted it on the alt gear forum also.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Mark Price
• •
p.1 #5 · Thinking of switching

Why not just get the D700?

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Thinking of switching

Mark Price wrote:
Why not just get the D700?

Exactly What's your current body? What do you shoot?

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Thinking of switching

The D400 will come out just after you buy the A77. That means a lot of Nikon shooters can't wait for you to buy the Sony!

Good luck in your quest...

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Thinking of switching

There is an A77 and lens on the B&S for $1450. Nikon and Canon can't compete with Sony's price point on its cameras.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Thinking of switching

Body & megapixels are so unimportant. And bring on their own problems. If your profile is correct you are shooting a D80? D700 is stellar, and avoids the pain of a change... just to change. Or stay with DX and get a $700 D7000, or a $550 D300... D400 if it ever appears is a DX camera anyway...

More curious, what are your lenses?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM
miguellara
• •
p.1 #10 · Thinking of switching

I just came from Sony, had a65, a77, a57 and a full line of Sony lenses (70-200g, 70-400g, 16-50 2.8, 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8).

I just switched to Nikon because of 2 things:

Number one: IQ - Detail - Dynamic Range and Noise control are way way better in Nikon, even the cheap body I got (d5100) out performs the A77 in all of that.... and I was a 5 months user of the A77 and A65. Only the A57 (yes the cheaper one) competes with Nikon in that area.

Number 2: Equipment availability, it is really hard to find what you want in the sony mount locally.... most of the time you have to order online, and if you wanted to save a few bucks and buy locally second hand.... good luck with that....
It took me 3 months to buy my sony gear because I wanted second hand, and some of it I had to buy new online because it wasn't available locally.
I wanted to try some of the expensive lenses before buying them so I thought about renting them.... well no luck there neither.... almost no one stocks Sony Gear for rent.
I once lost my battery charger for my A77 and I had to travel to 6 diferent stores before I was able to locate it locally..... very anoying.

With nikon on the other hand...... I bought all my line up in less than a week, second hand and with a third of the price of what I spent with Sony. And I know that if I ever need something else... I will have it most likely locally to buy either second hand, new or be able to rent it.

Now.... Sony has great technology.... there are lots of thing I will miss with Sony... Like Focus Peaking, Image Stabilization in the Body, real time Live Preview and real time focusing with it and a few other things.

So you always have to compromise some where... what is more important to you.... is totally up to you.

Just my 2 cents.... from someone that have actually used these 3 Sony cameras for a few months.
Just a word of advise... go for the a57 if you make the change... unless you are ready to deal with lots of noise and less detail than what you expect. But also be ready for some great new tech features that you can't see in Nikon. :-) .

By the way.... I actually kept the a57 and a couple minolta lenses so I can still play with it from time to time... It is a really nice camera to own.... just not a lot of support for it out there yet.......

Edited on Dec 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Thinking of switching

Why not a D7K to tide you over? Or a D300?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #12 · Thinking of switching

ckcarr wrote:
Body & megapixels are so unimportant. And bring on their own problems. If your profile is correct you are shooting a D80? D700 is stellar, and avoids the pain of a change... just to change. Or stay with DX and get a $700 D7000, or a $550 D300... D400 if it ever appears is a DX camera anyway...

More curious, what are your lenses?

The D300/s was my other option.
For lenses I have the Nikon 85mm f/1.8D, Nikon 50mm f/1.4D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4,
Nikon 28-105, Nikon 70-300ED f/4-5.6, (not the VR), Nikon 300mm f/4, Nikon 24mm f/2.8
I also have these AIS lenses: 50mm f/2, 135mm f 3.5, 200mm f/4
Nikon 500mm f/5 mirror, 500mm f/8 mirror, 105mm f/2.8 micro
I mainly shoot scenic including waterfalls, caves, scenery and some pictures of our 1 1/2 yr old grandson. I am shooting with a 4 yr old D80 at the moment. I didn't realize I had this many Nikon lenses so I don't think it would be worthwhile switching brands.
Like I said the D 300/s and D700 cameras are worth buying. They're both about 4 yr old technology, that is why I want to see the D 400 come out. The D7000 is not really in the running, as I want a better built camera with all functions easily reached without going into the menus.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:51 AM
Anthony Labbe
• •
p.1 #13 · Thinking of switching

D600?
Sounds like the DX format is not really needed based on what you indicate you shoot. Or look for low mileage d700.
I love my d300 (still going strong 70,000 later) but if I did not really feel I need the DX for sports, I think I'd move up.
I too am waiting to see if a D400 comes out!

Good luck!

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:18 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Thinking of switching

Andre Labonte wrote:

+1
In fact what is this about tiding over??

My D7k is an awesome camera and like all bodies works best when i practice a a little discipline and use proper technique

Tim

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:05 AM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Thinking of switching

Anthony Labbe wrote:
D600?
Sounds like the DX format is not really needed based on what you indicate you shoot. Or look for low mileage d700.

Good luck!

+1

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Mr.Lindy
• • •
p.1 #16 · Thinking of switching

At the moment B&H has 8 used D700 instock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/570162/Nikon_25444_D700_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.1 #17 · Thinking of switching

All of your lenses will cover the FX sensor. Just about all of your lenses will look better on an FX sensor. If build is more important than the most modern sensor, can't go wrong with a D700. If you want a modern sensor and can tolerate a more consumer (but still excellent) build, try a D600. If you want the best of both worlds, get a D800. Any of these will be vastly more pleasurable to use than a D80! You'll actually be able to meter your AI-S lenses. I don't think the D300s is worth it. There is a significant jump in DR and (if important to you) high-ISO performance with a D700 over a D300.

If you do your scenics on a tripod, the D600 may be a good bet vs. the D700, and it's what I moved to after some deliberation. The live-view implementation is better in every way on the D600. Also I could go back to using the cheap little ML-L3 IR remote with MLU or a delayed timer, which the D700 does not offer. You pretty much had to use a cable release or radio trigger to use MLU on the D700. I can't speak towards the D800, not having used one before. In hand, it feels ergonomically better though, that's for sure.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #18 · Thinking of switching

Mr.Lindy wrote:
At the moment B&H has 8 used D700 instock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/570162/Nikon_25444_D700_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

I looked at your link to b&h and they are down to 4 D700's now. Like I said, they get scarfed up fast.
Because of my 1 1/2 yr old grandson who moves very fast, I need a camera that AF's very fast. I also don't like having to go into the menus to change things because of this.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Mr.Lindy
• • •
p.1 #19 · Thinking of switching

Look at top right, still showing "1 of 8"

They have multiples in certain conditions & included bits.

I got a D700 in 9+ from them a couple weeks ago.
Like new camera in Nikon USA box & matching serial number.
It's recently produced w/very high serial number: 2540xxx

Missing one item, Nikon usb cable which I am still waiting for.
Other than the missing USB cable I'm happy with my 1st used item purchase from them.

They say used items have 90 day warranty, so thats an additonal feature not included with most other used D700's available for sale.

I'd add, the packaging was exceptional, huge box with plenty of styro filler. No air bags

Edited on Dec 11, 2012 at 02:33 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:34 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Thinking of switching

Andre Labonte wrote:

Tim Ashton wrote:
+1
In fact what is this about tiding over??

My D7k is an awesome camera and like all bodies works best when i practice a a little discipline and use proper technique

Tim

+1 never met a car, plane, BIF, horse, kid, or musician...my D7K couldn't capture. Just sayin'

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password