Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Draper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Some of you know I enrolled in a Masters program at the San Francisco Academy of Art a couple semesters ago. This is part of a homework assignment for self portraits. I despise these, but was happy with a couple of the images. I wanted to share my favorite three, including specs:

Self Portrait Alameda, California by DraperStudios, on Flickr

ISO 200. 35mm f1.4 lens. 1/15 sec. f5.6
Background is set to tungsten balance (so naturally adds blue to offset the yellow in tungsten bulbs) and I added a warm gel to the light for me to give a warm skin tone.

Self Portrait: Fight Club Inspired by DraperStudios, on Flickr

ISO 200. 35mm f1.4 lens. 1/60 sec. f5.6
This shot was inspired by the movie Fight Club. I debated on burning down the window because I felt it was too hot. But, if I did, it wouldn't look bright enough to light the cigarette smoke, which I really liked. So i left it as is. White balance done in camera, shifted to cyan on the color shift menu and then added a green filter to the main light camera right.

Cereal by DraperStudios, on Flickr

ISO 200. 24mm f1.4 lens. 1/15 sec. f7.1
Warmed the color balance up a little in camera by shooting on cloudy. I'm lit with a small speedlight which is across the table from me pointing directly into my face. It's snooted with a piece of black foam wrapped around the head.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:22 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Good job on all three.

In #2, I don't find the window bothersome.

Three very good compositions, each different.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:28 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

This is just my opinion so take it as it is. Three self-portraits, all wildly different. Gives you quite a different look to work with. I wouldn't even doubt it if you said all three pics were of different ppl. So congrats on creating such different looks that the subject comes across so differently in each of them.

I like No. 1. I like what you did to the background. Lighting is very nice. I like this guy.

The guy in No. 2 just comes across as an @$$, someone you'd expect to find in The Fight Club. Cigarette smoke for me works very effectively in tight shots, intimate shots. In this wider shot, I didn't even notice the cigarette had smoke until I saw that you mentioned it. I thought the cigarette was unlit. Crop really tight and you'll see how effective the cigarette smoke is -- at least, from the way I view it. I would have cropped out the wall on the far left, anyway. So you did a great job creating a guy who could be in The Fight Club. The color toning works for that as well.

No. 3 is a bit wacky, a pretty intense self-portrait with an in-your-face look. I don't know that it works for me as a standalone, but it definitely captures your personality.

Overall, No. 1 is the only one that really works for me as a standalone but each are impressive in their own way. Congrats!

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 08:36 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Good job on all three.

Interesting to see the difference in expression/personality shown in 1 vs.2.

I imagine you will get that degree with no problem.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:36 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Always like to see your stuff and completely agree on hating self portraits. Good original and different looks. I'll try to be as critical as possible to keep in the spirit of higher education.

1. Your forehead feels a bit hot, making it seem like there is a lot of light falloff from forehead to chin. I think toning the forehead down a bit would help.
2. Didn’t really pay attention to the smoke until you mentioned it, which is funny because it’s the second brightest thing in frame. The way that you’re holding the cigarette doesn’t look real to me, kinda like you’re trying to hold it away from your body.
3. I like it… fun.
Dave

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:12 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Great creativity and fun thinking for the latter two.

I like the use of gels to give a certain look, but find the overall image too bright for that look.

Just the opposite on that last ones lighting, too intense for the message IMO…. or not if that is what you wanted.

Love to see more of what you come up with.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:38 AM

DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

… also on that last shot, I think a light on the bottles on the fridge would have added a some poignancy to the message..?

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:41 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

great shots 1 and 3 for me

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:32 AM
crabcakes
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Number one is Numero Uno for me. Really love the feel.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:38 AM
sjumani123

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Good Job. Looks fantastic, Sharp and Clean. You did an awesome job and we loved looking at all of the pictures. Thanks for post. The only way to make decent photos is to get out there and make them. They don't happen by themselves.

---
Indian Art

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:20 AM
forreal

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Very nicely done, I like them all.

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:28 PM
p4ssw0rd

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SF Academy of Art Homework: Self Portrait

Great job, I am your professor you will get your A+
Just a personal preferences:
#1 Would move slightly off centre (or crop a bit from the left side).
#2 I would put this into more of a square format - found the left part a bit boring.
#3 Good, funny vibe, just found the corner of the furniture (or similar) sticking out from the right side a bit distracting.
Sorry for the nitpicking but hey, I am your professor
Solid work, depending on the number of the beers I will have #1, #2, or #3 as favourites (in this order) .

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:07 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password