Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

pipspeak
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Thought this was kinda fun... An analysis of the exif data from Reuters photos of the year:

http://gizmodo.com/5965080/the-cameras-and-settings-that-captured-this-years-best-photos?tag=photography

Edited on Dec 03, 2012 at 09:15 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:05 PM
robsuh
• •
p.1 #2 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Nice. What ugly graphs though. They could of conveyed the information much better with a simple table. Hard to tell those colors apart.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:12 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Thank you for posting this! Very interesting stats!

I did not know that anyone made a 16mm, 25mm and 42mm primes.

f-number makes sense.

It is interesting to see the top three most popular shutter speed starts at 1/250.

This pretty much convinces me to skip the 24-70 II.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:27 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

dolina wrote:

?

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

dolina wrote:

Mistake. The two most popular focal lengths were 24 mm and 50 mm. They were prime lenses for low light (probably both f/1.4), but the flexibility of the zoom should not be under-rated. I expect that in 2013 and beyond, the 24-70 II will show up in the zooms a lot more due to its improved ruggedness over the original: It now maintains sharp calibration far better and longer due to a much better mechanical design (per Roger Cicala). Nowadays with high quality high ISO, you don't need f/1.4 instead of f/2.8 nearly as much as you used to.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:48 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

pipspeak wrote:
Thought this was kinda fun... An analysis of the exif data from Reuters photos of the year:

http://gizmodo.com/5965080/the-cameras-and-settings-that-captured-this-years-best-photos?tag=photography

Definitely fun and beyond that, kinda interesting.

robsuh wrote:
Nice. What ugly graphs though. They could of conveyed the information much better with a simple table. Hard to tell those colors apart.

The colours are listed in sequence starting at 12 noon. Easy to tell the colours apart that way.

The phrase you are looking for is "could have".

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:48 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Notice how high the percentage of 5D Mark II cameras used is. It's 26.4%, the second most used camera.

Kind of puts the lie to the meme that the 5D2 can't be used for focusing quickly in stressful circumstances.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Notice how Canons account for over 7/8 (about 90%) of the cameras used to make the best photos for Reuters in 2012.

I think the reason is that professional photographers are not as flighty as vocal internet forum posters and much more steady with their equipment, not changing it every 18 months as competitors release equipment.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:54 PM
zquaratella
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Monito wrote:
Notice how Canons account for over 7/8 (about 90%) of the cameras used to make the best photos for Reuters in 2012.

Does this match Canon's market share? That would be another point for "pros use whatever they've got in their hands while internet photographers care more about upgrades" ideology.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:59 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Respect! And nice numbers.
- 36 % 1D IV
- 36 % 5D MK II & III
- 8 % 1D X

against maybe another 8 % for all Nikons ...

Monito wrote:
Notice how high the percentage of 5D Mark II cameras used is. It's 26.4%, the second most used camera.

Kind of puts the lie to the meme that the 5D2 can't be used for focusing quickly in stressful circumstances.

+ 1000
But I am missing a cake showing how many pics where shot using AF or MF

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dolina
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Monito wrote:
Mistake. The two most popular focal lengths were 24 mm and 50 mm. They were prime lenses for low light (probably both f/1.4), but the flexibility of the zoom should not be under-rated. I expect that in 2013 and beyond, the 24-70 II will show up in the zooms a lot more due to its improved ruggedness over the original: It now maintains sharp calibration far better and longer due to a much better mechanical design (per Roger Cicala). Nowadays with high quality high ISO, you don't need f/1.4 instead of f/2.8 nearly as much as you used to.

I'd be interested with the IS version of this zoom. Better IQ, closer focusing distance and newer USM isn't that much of an inducement especially when the filter thread has changed to the much larger 82mm.

For my purposes, skip. For others a must buy.

This graph validates my purchase of the 70-200 IS II.

My explanation for the 5D2's popularity comes down to it being full frame, compact, light and relatively cheap to a 1-Series. Not to mention this month marks the 4th anniversary of the body, shipped.

I expect the 5D3 to close the gap between 5D2 in 2013's round up but will not overtake it.

This is the same reason why the 1D4 dominates the photos chosen over the 1DX.

Some photo agencies update their photog's gear every 18 months or so. Whatever gets replaced either is given to the photog (thus encouraging them to take care of their company's property) or given back to their company for a swap out.

As for the popularity of Canon over other makers it has something to do with cost and deliverables. Wholly a business decision with little sentimentality or bravado. I am sure businesses will switch to another system given the right business reasons.

What I am amazed with is no mention of smartphones or tablets.

Edited on Dec 03, 2012 at 07:29 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:24 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #12 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

IIRC there was an image shot with the 16-35mm lens at f/1.4... Oh yeah image 60...

and a 24mm image (no. 10) shot at F/1.0... These (and possibly others) typos might have skewed the stats a tiny smidgen

http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2012/11/30/best-photos-of-the-year-2012/#a=1

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:26 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Monito wrote:

I think the reason is that professional photographers are not as flighty as vocal internet forum posters and much more steady with their equipment, not changing it every 18 months as competitors release equipment.

+1

How DID they manage with all that banding and lack of dynamic range?

It shows it's the user that counts, not the gear.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:34 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #14 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Monito wrote:

True.

However at first I didn't pay enough attention and was surprised to see the Nikon D800 account for 26,4 % of the shots. Wrong purple color!

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:41 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

The only time I remember the photo news agencies moving from Canon was during the 1D3 AF issue. This was most evident during major sporting events between 2007-2011 when Canon white primes did not dominate the areas designated for photogs.

Time was Leica was the camera of choice of newspapers in the day. You can see in the graph that it doesn't even register in Reuter's round up.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:57 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #16 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

I think one of the reasons for the pro Canon numbers is that Reuters is heavily favouring Canon in their working photogs. This wasn't a list of the best photos from any agency or any person for the entire year, it was the best photos from Reuters. If they are almost all Canon photogs, it would make sense that most of the 'best of' would be from Canon.

All that being said, clearly Canon is more than capable in any number of situations and as expected by most on the forum, the complaining is really an online issue and not a real world issue.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:30 PM
adrianb
• •
p.1 #17 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Amazing photos, but regarding all this "pro" & Canon gear talk, I might have to quote Mr Wolf from Pulp Fiction (Harvey Keitel) : "Let's not start sucking each other's di.cks quite yet".. (pardon the language,if you will)

jctriguy pointed out the situation pretty well..

I have Canon,I shoot with Canon, I like Canon......but you gotta admit that Nikon has gear as good as Canon....

I'm sure a D700 and especially the D3 could have coped with every situation there..... etc...

Let's not make this thread into a Canon glory thread.......it should be about the photos, not about the gear...

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:05 PM
CSStevens
• •
p.1 #18 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Monito wrote:

Yup, as a working newspaper photographer I almost never use primes with the purpose of additional light as the 1D Mark IV and 5d Mark II have pretty excellent ISO capabilities. Back when I used a 1D Mark II and so on I used fast primes a bit more often. I still like to use primes for the shallow DOF but the chance varies by assignment.

Monito wrote:

Also true, the major issue for me is that it's points are within a relatively small area of the image sensor. And it's not that great for sports, obviously. But the full frame aspect is the best part in regards to really putting the 16-35 to the focal length it deserves, and also pretty great ISO.

dolina wrote:
I expect the 5D3 to close the gap between 5D2 in 2013's round up but will not overtake it.

This is the same reason why the 1D4 dominates the photos chosen over the 1DX.

Some photo agencies update their photog's gear every 18 months or so. Whatever gets replaced either is given to the photog (thus encouraging them to take care of their company's property) or given back to their company for a swap out.

As for the popularity of Canon over other makers it has something to do with cost and deliverables. Wholly a business decision with little sentimentality or bravado. I
...Show more

The 5d3 will probably overtake the 5d2 in 2013 - I'm pretty sure of it actually, mainly because it solves the issue of the 5d2 in the case of AF and AF points, speed (not as fast as the 1D series but definitely better) and of course ISO. The fact that there are so many PJ's already with a 5D3 is a good indicator.

Agencies like Associated Press and Getty Images have been upgrading most of their staff photogs with 1DXs since this past summer, and it appears that Reuters is on that route as well, though perhaps a bit more slowly. My paper, the Las Vegas Review-Journal, is Canon, but we probably won't get any 1DX's for awhile (if it all, might just be until the next release).

I think more agencies went with Canon early on in digital due to the 1D and 1D Mark II, and after that they had invested so much in equipment that it didn't make sense to switch over systems (a pretty big hassle). I'm not sure which agencies or newspapers use Nikon (though I did know a Getty staffer that had Nikon, but not sure if they use both or if he was an usual exception) except that the US Air Force does (and perhaps all military branches).

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:28 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

adrianb wrote:
I have Canon,I shoot with Canon, I like Canon......but you gotta admit that Nikon has gear as good as Canon....
I'm sure a D700 and especially the D3 could have coped with every situation there..... etc...
Let's not make this thread into a Canon glory thread.......it should be about the photos, not about the gear...

The stats prove that despite having just a single cross AF sensor, the 5D2 is still a highly capable camera that can be used in high stress situations. Despite all the banding, limited dynamic range talk, Canon gear is still good in the right hands. No, it's not about gear... it's about photos and the person behind the camera.

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:49 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #20 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

dolina wrote:
Thank you for posting this! Very interesting stats!

I did not know that anyone made a 16mm, 25mm and 42mm primes.

Nikon make a 16mm fisheye.

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password