Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone using a Opteka GH1 tripod Gimbal head for birding??

MS PHOTO
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using a Opteka GH1 tripod Gimbal head for birding??

Looking to purchase a new tripod head & not sure if I can afford a Wimberley head, but saw this Opteka GH1 head on Amazon for $149.95, got good reviews but looking for a fellow FM user that has one.Looking to use this for birding & landscape
Any feed back will be helpful
Thanks Pau

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using a Opteka GH1 tripod Gimbal head for birding??

I believe the Opteka and Beike are the same model. I have a Beike and it is superb, holds the D800 and Sigma 500mm without needing to tighten the vertical axis. I use it on both a monopod (90% of the time) and on a tripod.

One weakness (on mine) was the quick-release plate kept coming loose (I also have necessary redundancy in the form of a Black Rapid secured to the camera tripod mount - so I can carry the set-up on the mono, either by my side or over my shoulder) so I bought a Benro PU70 QR plate, which is a perfect fit, to replace it. Problem solved.

Worth every penny and a lot more.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:56 AM
h.b.Jr.59

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using a Opteka GH1 tripod Gimbal head for birding??

I've been using the Opteka Gimbal head for a couple weeks now, so far I like it.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:49 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using a Opteka GH1 tripod Gimbal head for birding??

I use one and I made a video about it on Amazon and youtube. I only have a 400mm f/5.6L, not one of the giant lenses and from this perspective the GH-1 has been perfect. You will find that the movement has more friction than the Wimberly but it is glass smooth. The friction actually allows me to release the lens at any attitude and it just stays where I release it. I find that I don't even have to lock it for landscapes and other uses.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Thang
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using a Opteka GH1 tripod Gimbal head for birding??

After reading all the rave reviews, to satisfy my curiousity, I decided to give this head a try even though I already have a wimberley. While some have great success with the Opteka GH1 head, after using one for 5 minutes, I packed it up and shipped it right back to amazon.

What a god awful product! For small lenses like the 300 f/4, 400 5.6, this may be an adequate head for use. But then again, why the heck would one need to mount these lenses on tripod anyway?? Are they that heavy?? how about go to the gym instead!

Built quality is horrible, especially at the quick release clamp and the quick release knob. After I mounted the 600 VR and tighten the knob, the knob broke! With further examination, I noticed the base of the quick release clamp bent! What the hell?

You get what you pay for.

Edited on Mar 01, 2013 at 10:23 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using a Opteka GH1 tripod Gimbal head for birding??

I've got a Manfrotto 393 gimbal - very reasonably priced. I haven't used the Opteka so I can't compare it. The manfrotto gimbal is useable on a tripod or monopod. I'm just not a fan of using a big setup. I've found I don't like using a tripod or a gimbal - just too bulky. So I either handhold or use just a monopod. That being said, I know a lot of folks really like a tripod and a gimbal for bird photography. My point being, if you decide youre interested in the Manfrotto gimbal - I'm willing to sell mine.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using a Opteka GH1 tripod Gimbal head for birding??

I have one, used it 2-3 times. I liked it, its smooth and worked well with the 500F4. Going to be listing it on B&S board since i have 2 of these. Msg me if you want to buy it.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password