Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

These threads seem to come and go, and the information is often lost to the archives in the end, so I thought it would be better to have a jumble thread, with enough different things going on to keep it near the top.

To start things off, I have just bought the Leash, Cuff and Capture over on kickerstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/97103764/leash-by-peak-design

Looks like a very neat system, and it is cheaper than some of my straps alone. Worth a shot, and I have wanted a sling for a while now.

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 09:04 PM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:00 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

Another tip:

For those looking for an affordable hood for their alt lenses: Heavystar on eBay has a number of great little metal hoods, and many even come with a hood cap, making them very convenient.

http://myworld.ebay.com/heavystar?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:01 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

I am copying a review of the Artisan&Artist ACAM-7100 over from my blog. Great little bag which I used to use for Leica M equipment, but now use for my Olympus E-PL3.

Here is a mini-review of the Artisan&Artist ACAM 7100 camera bag, which I have just received a couple of days ago, and which I have fallen in love with. This is the same bag which used to be sold in the States and the U.K. as the "Oskar's One Day Bag".

It is relatively compact, having outside and inside dimensions of W300xH200xD100 mm and W270xH160xD90 mm, respectively. It has a strap which goes from the complete one side of the bag to the complete other side of the bag, but does not run underneath. There is a generous non-slip shoulder pad built on to the strap.

It arrived very quickly (much quicker than the charge to my credit card, which has not happened yet) from Japan (I could not find it elsewhere; they speak English well). The price was 18900, plus 3250 for shipping to Germany. This all works out to be about 135, which is quite a deal, considering the quality of the construction and materials. It was packaged carefully in a box, in a disposable, but nice for storage purposes, paper-cloth bag, as well as being accompanied by a full Artisan&Artist catalog of nice and interesting items. I suspect I will buy more things there in the future.

In the following images, I have substituted the Leica M8+50 Lux Asph with my M6+50 Cron DR, which is roughly the same size. The contents are as follows:

Back pocket: sometimes a small book, but not today.
Front flap pocket: map and lens cleaning tissue.
Front pocket 1: 1.25x loupe, angle finder, extra battery, macro adapter in bag.
Front pocket 2: cellphone, ballhead, 75 Lux shade
Inside net pocket: pens, pencil, 2mm Allen key (!), keys
Main pocket, in front of padding: Moleskine, passport
Main pocket, side of padding: Leica table top tripod
Main pocket, back of padding: magazine
Main pocket, inside padding: M8+50 Lux Asph, CV15+75 Lux, 35/2A+90/4M.

I stack the lenses back-to-back, ie. with the back covers touching. These seem tougher and I don't care if they get a little scratched. I have placed the inside dividers on a slight angle to make the bag less thick front-to-back and to make the compartments hug the lenses tighter, so that the top one cannot slide down alongside the bottom one and damage it. There is a clasped strap sitting between the front pockets which can be clasped to the hasp by the inside net pocket. This keeps the bag from flopping into a "fatter" shape, front-to-back, which I appreciate. The bag is very full, but not bursting, with the contents I have. I don't know what I will do when my WATE and 28 Cron arrive, but I will think of something I am sure. Probably I will leave the 75 Lux at home, or maybe carry a lens in a jacket pocket.

I highly recommend the bag. My only change so far would be to make it perhaps 2cm longer to hold larger magazines, to make the padding perhaps 1-2cm taller to better hold two lenses like the 75 Lux/CV15 combo, and to add one external side-pocket for the tripod, but really, these are tiny niggles.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:37 PM
SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

Just bought that same bag yesterday. It is awesome.

I actually went to purchase the Think Tank Retrospective 5, but saw this bag. There is a big weight difference between the two, this one being lighter. It is also a lot slimmer - the TT could be used for DSLR gear.

Really happy with the purchase.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

I have a truly alt tripod.
An old Benbo Trekker.
No, not the new models from Paterson.
Mine is green in color.
It is super light.
It is super configurable.
I use it for macro work with light gear.
It is also NOT a tripod for the newbie, you can get in big trouble with this tripod.
It REQUIRES lots of thought when using, forcing one to slowdown.
I like it.

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:40 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

What kind of trouble can you get into with this tripod?

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:25 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

You can easily loose your gear to a hard fall if you are not careful.
It is also soo light, it can easily get knocked about.
Still, I like it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:51 PM
lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

carstenw wrote:
These threads seem to come and go, and the information is often lost to the archives in the end, so I thought it would be better to have a jumble thread, with enough different things going on to keep it near the top.

To start things off, I have just bought the Leash, Cuff and Capture over on kickerstarter:

Looks like a very neat system, and it is cheaper than some of my straps alone. Worth a shot, and I have wanted a sling for a while now.

Thanks for the heads-up Carsten. I have also ordered these items.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM
OneAnt
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

Of course there is the alt tripod ...where you tie a piece of string to your big toe and the other end to your camera you could even be more alt and tie it to other parts of your body.

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:02 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

Let's not get excited...

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

Regarding the Artisan&Artist ACAM-7100 bag, does the top flap have Velcro silencers built in like on the Think Tank Retrospective and the Crumpler bags?

I couldn't find this info on the website and I find the sound of the velcro opening to be annoying and I'm not sure why you need velcro plus a buckle to fasten the flap.

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:15 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

carstenw wrote:

Thanks for that Carsten, just signed up for the same deal

Mike

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:20 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

Carsten, I don;t know how you feel, but once I see there is no handle on the top of the bag is a deal break to me. My billingham leica bag is a PIA to work with. Every time, I try to lift the bag up make me think how stupid design it is? Every single time.

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:23 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

zhangyue wrote:
Carsten, I don;t know how you feel, but once I see there is no handle on the top of the bag is a deal break to me. My billingham leica bag is a PIA to work with. Every time, I try to lift the bag up make me think how stupid design it is? Every single time.

I'm not sure about Carsten's ACAM-7100, but my GCAM-7200, which is very similar (except that it has leather on the flap,) has a carry handle/strap that you can remove.

Popflash had a deal on these for a while, and I think I got the GCAM-7200 for something like $150-$200 last year, if I remember correctly. It looks like they're $350 now.

p.s. to answer Jeff's question, mine doesn't have a velcro silencer (it also doesn't have the buckle closure that Carsten's has.)

edit* On the popflash website, it does show Carsten's bag having the carry handle attached.

Edited on Dec 01, 2012 at 12:42 AM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:30 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

By looking your bags again, yours may not that bothersome.

Here is mine and you can see how difficult I can grab this thing. I have some other bag in my mind at the time shopping but my wife bought this for me as Christmas gift without notify me. Well, what I can say

*Note* pic is not mine, I stole somewhere by quick google search

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:42 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

zhangyue wrote:

I don't use such handles, so I am happy it doesn't have one built-in, but as Douglas say, there is a detachable one which I had completely forgotten about. It is lying in a box somewhere.

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:28 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

Jeff Kott wrote:
Regarding the Artisan&Artist ACAM-7100 bag, does the top flap have Velcro silencers built in like on the Think Tank Retrospective and the Crumpler bags?

I couldn't find this info on the website and I find the sound of the velcro opening to be annoying and I'm not sure why you need velcro plus a buckle to fasten the flap.

There aren't any silencers, but this bag isn't as loud as some, as the strips are quite narrow. If you really wanted to, you could buy a couple of squares of velcro to reduce the surface area.

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:31 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

lenticular11 wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up Carsten. I have also ordered these items.

Looks like a worthy system, so +1, Thanks for heads-up.

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:39 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

My (late) Christmas present to myself...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/12/03/MindShift-Rotation-180-think-tank-kickstarter
I mainly use F-Stops for my gear as I prefer the rear entry opening. This looks like it has a good combination of better access to camera + 1 extra lens and rear entry

Mike

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:59 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Alt Accessories: bags, tripods, straps, hoods, etc.

1) Bag. I have been using the same Crumpler 5MDH since late 2006. It is the old version, obviously. I do not like the revised models.
This bag comfortably carries one body with lens mounted, and as many as 4 other (small) lenses, or two "normal" sized lenses. Somewhat rainproof. Looks good. Was only $60 something new at that point. I love this bag!

IMG_0204 by Chris.jpg, on Flickr

2) Strap. I've been using UpStrap's "Bandolier" straps for a few years. I bought two from them and had the adjustability taken out by a local tailor (while i was in Iraq haha), so they are fixed at the length I would set them at anyways. They are simple, no-frills, and bulletproof.
I also have one of their (discontinued) small camera "Bandolier" versions, which is a smaller width strap that uses loop connectors for the camera. VERY good for rangefinders, small SLRs, or M4/3.

(compact bandolier)

IMG_1795 by Chris.jpg, on Flickr

I've been using the same reliable Manfrotto 3221WN for ~8 years now, with a Kirk BH-3 ballhead. This has been a bulletproof combo. It isn't as stable as a Gitzo, but it didn't cost me nearly as much.

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password