Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

Hey FM, need a little bit of help.. as always, I'm going to leave most of my considerations + opinions til the end so I don't cloud the responses too too much - just hoping to gain some clarity from different viewpoints.

Came across a (possibly) great opportunity to obtain a new 1DX at a decent price.. Was originally planning to make the switch next spring instead before wedding season, but tempted to make the change now to save some $ and sell one of my existing 1-series bodies at a better price than I'd likely get for them next year - biggest thing i would gain in the short term would be much improved ISO1600-6400 full-frame capability for my event coverage over the next few months, no weddings until next year..

Background: I shoot full-time for a living - primarily events / corporate / weddings / portraits professionally (in that order), with the occasional runway show or random press/sporting assignment thrown in.. outside of that, I enjoy birding when it isn't freezing here in Toronto (aka definitely not right now or anytime soon) & will probably squeeze in more studio/portrait work during the winter since I have more availability. I currently own: 1DsmkIII, 1DmkIV, 24-70mkII, 50L, 70-200mkII, 500mkI + MkIII extenders..

Question: If you were me, would you rather sell the 1Ds Mark III or the 1D Mark IV in order to make room for the 1DX?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

I just sold my 1DsIII to help pay for the new 1DX I got in August. I kept my 1DIV. Chances are good that I'll replace the 1DIV with another 1DX next spring, but I want to make sure that it's the right move for me.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

1D X is more replacement of 1D MKIV than 1Ds MKIII. But if you like and benefit from 1D MKIV 1.3x crop, then selling it probably isnt wisest move.. ..on other hand there wont be any new APS-H, so it will be eventually replaced with FF anyway. You may aswell do it right now.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

I still need to list my MKIV and 1DsMKIII on B&S and will buy a 2nd 1DX after they sell. Love the camera!!!!

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM
NicoleB
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

I sold the 1DIV and keep the 1DSIII.
As a studio and wedding photographer, full frame is a must for me.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:06 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

I would think having 2 FF cameras that were so similar in form would be redundant, so if you are getting a 1DX then the Ds would be the one I'd sell. In reality I'd probably sell them both and replace them with a DX and 5D III, one for speed and one for resolution.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:15 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

From what you do sell the 1D IV and 1Ds III. 1Ds III really only beats the 1DX for IQ at ISO 100/200, in every other area 1D X stomps over 1Ds III.

I'd keep the 1D IV if you were doing sports or wildlife but it doesn't look like you do those activities.

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

I'd be curious to hear from people like Jim Colwell if the 1DX is actually in any way IQ-inferior to the 1Ds3 at low ISO. From examples I've seen, it seems they are pretty equivalent, but I'd like to hear more firsthand reports.

You know the strengths and weakness of these two bodies (1Ds3 and 1DIV) better than most people! If it were me, I'd sell the 1Ds3 and keep the 1DIV for now to go with the 1DX. The 1DIV is a newer tech camera with Digic IV instead of Digic 3. Plus, as you know, the 1DIV has much better high ISO rendering.

I'm not in a position to get the newer models, but I think I could be happy with the 5D3 and 1DX to cover those needs you listed. Then again, there may be new super-MP body in a year or so to accompany your 1DX.

So, for now, I'd suggest the 1DX and 1DIV combo.

Have fun deciding!

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

Kevin, judging from your website you have thing well in hand.
http://www.addictedtobeauty.ca/index.php?x=browse
Keep and add

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

Drop the 's'. I sold my 1DsII in favour of the 5D3 and kept my MkIV. Its a good combo. Resale value is not to be sniffed at.

kaycephoto wrote:
Hey FM, need a little bit of help.. as always, I'm going to leave most of my considerations + opinions til the end so I don't cloud the responses too too much - just hoping to gain some clarity from different viewpoints.

Came across a (possibly) great opportunity to obtain a new 1DX at a decent price.. Was originally planning to make the switch next spring instead before wedding season, but tempted to make the change now to save some $ and sell one of my existing 1-series bodies at a better price than I'd likely get for them next year
...Show more

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

before i comment, just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who chimed in.. definitely helped me sort out my thoughts a little bit, I'll respond accordingly to my thought-process in the matter:

Pixel Perfect wrote:
From what you do sell the 1D IV and 1Ds III. 1Ds III really only beats the 1DX for IQ at ISO 100/200, in every other area 1D X stomps over 1Ds III.

I'd keep the 1D IV if you were doing sports or wildlife but it doesn't look like you do those activities.

I've definitely also considered selling both of my older bodies & I'd probably be fine with just the 1DX for everything except weddings (need 2 bodies). that makes the most financial sense, though I'd be pretty sad to lose the 1.3x crop factor completely when birding (which i do quite a bit of, purely for fun)..

Mescalamba wrote:
1D X is more replacement of 1D MKIV than 1Ds MKIII. But if you like and benefit from 1D MKIV 1.3x crop, then selling it probably isnt wisest move.. ..on other hand there wont be any new APS-H, so it will be eventually replaced with FF anyway. You may aswell do it right now.

NicoleB wrote:
I sold the 1DIV and keep the 1DSIII.
As a studio and wedding photographer, full frame is a must for me.

There-in lies the main dilemma I was struggling with.. while it seemed to make more sense to replace the 1DmkIV initially since my bread & butter is events (full-frame is king!), I'll definitely miss the APS-H format for my 500mkI shooting.. ultimately, choosing your tools is always about a compromise though, so I think I've finally accepted the right decision..

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:52 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

morganb4 wrote:
Drop the 's'. I sold my 1DsII in favour of the 5D3 and kept my MkIV. Its a good combo. Resale value is not to be sniffed at.

PeaktoPeek wrote:
I would think having 2 FF cameras that were so similar in form would be redundant, so if you are getting a 1DX then the Ds would be the one I'd sell. In reality I'd probably sell them both and replace them with a DX and 5D III, one for speed and one for resolution.

for my needs, the 1Ds3 is still a better tool than the 5D3 despite the 5D3's lead in some areas.. the 5D3's studio advantage over the 1DX & 1Ds3 at ISO100 is very, very small

jcolwell wrote:
I just sold my 1DsIII to help pay for the new 1DX I got in August. I kept my 1DIV. Chances are good that I'll replace the 1DIV with another 1DX next spring, but I want to make sure that it's the right move for me.

Gunzorro wrote:
I'd be curious to hear from people like Jim Colwell if the 1DX is actually in any way IQ-inferior to the 1Ds3 at low ISO. From examples I've seen, it seems they are pretty equivalent, but I'd like to hear more firsthand reports.

You know the strengths and weakness of these two bodies (1Ds3 and 1DIV) better than most people! If it were me, I'd sell the 1Ds3 and keep the 1DIV for now to go with the 1DX. The 1DIV is a newer tech camera with Digic IV instead of Digic 3. Plus, as you know, the 1DIV has
...Show more

ultimately i think the right decision for me is to sell the 1Ds3 - which kills me a bit seeing how low the used value has dropped relative to what i think of the 1Ds3 as a money-making photographic tool. that said, it doesn't really make sense for me to keep 3 bodies laying around - as I said in my last post, choosing tools is always about compromise & i stand to lose the least by selling the 1Ds3.

(coincidentally I'm addressing both Jims) but Jim, my next series of tests prior to selling the 1Ds3 will definitely be to compare the 1DX & 1Ds3 in a studio settings at ISO100.. by my own extracted metrics from DXOMark sensor measurements (i basically interpolated the DXO measurements for measured ISO, SNR18%, dynamic range, tonal range, colour at diff ISO values), the 1DX is actually slightly superior to the 1Ds3 at ISO100, trailing only the 5D3 slightly at ISO100..

thank you again for your help FM! it is much appreciated!

Edited on Nov 14, 2012 at 02:38 AM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:11 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

I mentioned the 5D3 as its the closest thing out there to a 1Dx, wasnt suggesting you got one. For me 5D3 AF > 1DIV and ISO is nice. Those are the wins for me.

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:21 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

morganb4 wrote:
I mentioned the 5D3 as its the closest thing out there to a 1Dx, wasnt suggesting you got one. For me 5D3 AF > 1DIV and ISO is nice. Those are the wins for me.

most definitely - it's worth mentioning that after my research/decision process, I thought the 5D3 was without a doubt the best performance for $. i ultimately moved away from it because i'm very, very accustomed to the 1-series form factor & i rely on AF-linked spot metering for a good chunk of my shooting.. but i definitely think the 5D3 is a great choice for a lot of people & am not surprised at the amount of fanfare that body's received to date - amazing value

Psychic1 wrote:
Kevin, judging from your website you have thing well in hand.
http://www.addictedtobeauty.ca/index.php?x=browse
Keep and add

thank you for the kind words! if money weren't at all an issue, i'd keep the 1Ds3 just for memories =P but as it stands, its probably the odd-body out.

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:35 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password