Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of kaycephoto's message #11115352 « Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX? »

kaycephoto
Upload & Sell: Off
Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

morganb4 wrote:
Drop the 's'. I sold my 1DsII in favour of the 5D3 and kept my MkIV. Its a good combo. Resale value is not to be sniffed at.

PeaktoPeek wrote:
I would think having 2 FF cameras that were so similar in form would be redundant, so if you are getting a 1DX then the Ds would be the one I'd sell. In reality I'd probably sell them both and replace them with a DX and 5D III, one for speed and one for resolution.

for my needs, the 1Ds3 is still a better tool than the 5D3 despite the 5D3's lead in some areas.. the 5D3's studio advantage over the 1DX & 1Ds3 at ISO100 is very, very small

jcolwell wrote:
I just sold my 1DsIII to help pay for the new 1DX I got in August. I kept my 1DIV. Chances are good that I'll replace the 1DIV with another 1DX next spring, but I want to make sure that it's the right move for me.

Gunzorro wrote:
I'd be curious to hear from people like Jim Colwell if the 1DX is actually in any way IQ-inferior to the 1Ds3 at low ISO. From examples I've seen, it seems they are pretty equivalent, but I'd like to hear more firsthand reports.

You know the strengths and weakness of these two bodies (1Ds3 and 1DIV) better than most people! If it were me, I'd sell the 1Ds3 and keep the 1DIV for now to go with the 1DX. The 1DIV is a newer tech camera with Digic IV instead of Digic 3. Plus, as you know, the 1DIV has much better high ISO rendering.

I'm not in a position to get the newer models, but I think I could be happy with the 5D3 and 1DX to cover those needs you listed. Then again, there may be new super-MP body in a year or so to accompany your 1DX.

So, for now, I'd suggest the 1DX and 1DIV combo.

ultimately i think the right decision for me is to sell the 1Ds3 - which kills me a bit seeing how low the used value has dropped relative to what i think of the 1Ds3 as a money-making photographic tool. that said, it doesn't really make sense for me to keep 3 bodies laying around - as I said in my last post, choosing tools is always about compromise & i stand to lose the least by selling the 1Ds3.

(coincidentally I'm addressing both Jims) but Jim, my next series of tests prior to selling the 1Ds3 will definitely be to compare the 1DX & 1Ds3 in a studio settings at ISO100.. by my own extracted metrics from DXOMark sensor measurements, the 1DX is actually slightly superior to the 1Ds3 at ISO100, trailing only the 5D3 slightly at ISO100..

thank you again for your help FM! it is much appreciated!

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:32 AM
kaycephoto

morganb4 wrote:
Drop the 's'. I sold my 1DsII in favour of the 5D3 and kept my MkIV. Its a good combo. Resale value is not to be sniffed at.

PeaktoPeek wrote:
I would think having 2 FF cameras that were so similar in form would be redundant, so if you are getting a 1DX then the Ds would be the one I'd sell. In reality I'd probably sell them both and replace them with a DX and 5D III, one for speed and one for resolution.

for my needs, the 1Ds3 is still a better tool than the 5D3 despite the 5D3's lead in some areas.. the 5D3's studio advantage over the 1DX & 1Ds3 at ISO100 is very, very small

jcolwell wrote:
I just sold my 1DsIII to help pay for the new 1DX I got in August. I kept my 1DIV. Chances are good that I'll replace the 1DIV with another 1DX next spring, but I want to make sure that it's the right move for me.

Gunzorro wrote:
I'd be curious to hear from people like Jim Colwell if the 1DX is actually in any way IQ-inferior to the 1Ds3 at low ISO. From examples I've seen, it seems they are pretty equivalent, but I'd like to hear more firsthand reports.

You know the strengths and weakness of these two bodies (1Ds3 and 1DIV) better than most people! If it were me, I'd sell the 1Ds3 and keep the 1DIV for now to go with the 1DX. The 1DIV is a newer tech camera with Digic IV instead of Digic 3. Plus, as you know, the 1DIV has much better high ISO rendering.

I'm not in a position to get the newer models, but I think I could be happy with the 5D3 and 1DX to cover those needs you listed. Then again, there may be new super-MP body in a year or so to accompany your 1DX.

So, for now, I'd suggest the 1DX and 1DIV combo.

ultimately i think the right decision for me is to sell the 1Ds3 - which kills me a bit seeing how low the used value has dropped relative to what i think of the 1Ds3 as a money-making photographic tool. that said, it doesn't really make sense for me to keep 3 bodies laying around - as I said in my last post, choosing tools is always about compromise & i stand to lose the least by selling the 1Ds3.

(coincidentally I'm addressing both Jims) but Jim, my next series of tests prior to selling the 1Ds3 will definitely be to compare the 1DX & 1Ds3 in a critical studio setting at ISO100.. by my own extracted metrics from DXOMark sensor measurements, the 1DX is actually slightly superior to the 1Ds3 at ISO100, trailing only the 5D3 slightly at ISO100..

thank you again for your help FM! it is much appreciated!

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:27 AM
kaycephoto

PeaktoPeek wrote:

morganb4 wrote:

jcolwell wrote:

thank you again for your help FM! it is much appreciated,

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:22 AM
kaycephoto
Re: Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX?

morganb4 wrote:

PeaktoPeek wrote:

jcolwell wrote:

ultimately i think the right decision for me is to sell the 1Ds3 - which kills me a bit seeing how low the used value has dropped relative to what i think of the 1Ds3 as a money-making photographic tool.

(also, for my needs, the 1Ds3 is still a better tool than the 5D3 despite the 5D3's lead in some areas.. the 5D3's studio advantage over the 1DX & 1Ds3 at ISO100 is very, very small)

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:11 AM

Previous versions of kaycephoto's message #11115352 « Should I replace my 1DsIII or 1D4 with the 1DX? »