Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

Doctorbird
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

I attended an excellent presentation by the Sports Illustrated veteran photographer Peter Read Miller. This was one of the Canon Live Learning series that takes place once every few weeks at Canon's Hollywood locale. It highlighted his coverage at several Olympics including Los Angeles (his first), Beijing, London and Barcelona, and at pro and college sports, both in the field and in some studio sports portraits environments. It was an insightful look into how he goes about getting his great shots including many that made the SI covers.

Some tidbits gleaned from him that's apropos to this forum though:

He shoots Canon, several 1DX's

Says that the 1DX surpasses the 1DIV in performance, but he's still learning the AF system. Although the tutorial in this link to the Sportshooter site might suggest otherwise:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2678

Prefers the 400mm f/2.8II mostly on a monopod since tripods aren't allowed in many venues. Says it's much improved over the previous model. He does however use longer lenses up to the 800 and TC's for special close up effects - expressions, etc.

The 600mm may be a bit long for many type of sports.

Really likes the new 24-70 that he uses for close field shots on a 1DX hanging from his neck while holding the monopod mounted camera.

Also uses the Fisheye sometimes for dramatic effect. And an angle finder for ground level shots.

Had use of the new 200-400mm in London but sadly had to return it to Canon. Interestingly, he said that it probably weighs about the same as the older 400mm f/2.8 (almost 12lbs?? Hard to believe!!) but the center of mass is towards the rear of the lens because of the built in TC. Probably going to be pricey.

Tripod mounted 400mm, 600mm with 1DX's were on display, as well as the 24-70 II and a 70-200II.

These free presentations are nice touch from Canon, that runs for a couple of hours after working hours. I'm fortunate that the location is close enough for me to be a regular attendee.

Db

Note: Edited message

Edited on Nov 11, 2012 at 06:37 AM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:08 AM
KF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

I heard the weight of the 200-440 is exactly 3.8 kg
Just a little bit lighter than the new 400/2.8 II which is 3.85 kg

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:51 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

Thanx for that report, Db.
It is doubtful in the extreme that 200-400 would weigh nearly as much as 400 f/2.8 IS MkI.....in fact, it is surprising a sports photographer who must have used either Canon or Nikon old 400 f/2.8 lens extensively would make such an assessment.

However, a few other reports we have seen would suggest that 200-400L weighs close to 4 kg, i.e., similar to 400 f/2.8 IS MkII....if so, then even that is heavier than its prospective users, as well as Canon, would want. .

As far as 1DX AF system is concerned, it would have been much easier for users to fine tune its performance if the Canon's instruction on the subject wasn't so piss poor.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:14 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

Where're the bikini girls?

Joke aside, did he say what lenses he prefers when shooting in studio environment?

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:18 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

KF, Peter,

Regarding the weight of the 200-400, the speaker may well have been using the 'effective wield weight', . He graphically demonstrated how awkward the lens felt because of the weight distribution towards the rear, tending to make him fall backwards. He didn't come across as an extreme gear head as we are , so it was probably a literal 'seat of the pants' estimate.

And yes Canon's manuals are a bit too condensed. One often has to rely on the tutorials. Peter Read Miller did write this up on his site, I suspect also for his own edification:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2678

And I find Canon's Rudy Winston presentations are very helpful.

Db

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

n0b0 wrote:
Where're the bikini girls?

Joke aside, did he say what lenses he prefers when shooting in studio environment?

Legitimate question. Not much cheerleaders, only perhaps incidentally in the background. He did show several glamorized spreads of female athletes - as well as some males too. These for the glossies.

We didn't ask about the equipment but he seems to have a lot of stuff at his disposal including all sort ofelaborate hardware, and assistants for his studio (indoors and outdoors) shoots.

His envious workflow:
Shoots RAW as demanded by SI. Uploads small JPG's from his laptop to the media guys at the office. They cull them for their picks and download the full res versions of these from the still connected laptop. So no tedious PP'ing for him. What luxury.

Db

Edited on Nov 09, 2012 at 02:17 AM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:26 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

Doctorbird wrote:
Regarding the weight of the 200-400, the speaker may well have been using the 'effective wield weight', . He graphically demonstrated how awkward the lens felt because of the weight distribution towards the rear, tending to make him fall backwards.

There are some myths related to "lens balance" in the community of photographers. I believe that from static as well as dynamic loading of our body by hand-held lens/camera, it is more desireable that the setup weight is located closer to our bodies as opposed to being more distant from it.

(When it comes to on-gimbal-head lens/camera balancing, that is pretty much a different consideration)

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

PetKal wrote:
There are some myths related to "lens balance" in the community of photographers. I believe that from static as well as dynamic loading of our body by hand-held lens/camera, it is more desireable that the setup weight is located closer to our bodies as opposed to being more distant from it.

+100%

Having the centre of mass (centre of gravity) closer to the axes of rotation (i.e. your wrists/elbows/waist) makes it a lot easier to change the azimuth and elevation of a heavy lens.

OTOH, having a large, front-heavy lens reminds me of an old joke: two morons were sitting at the edge of a cliff, the big one fell off...

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

jcolwell wrote:
+100%

Having the centre of mass (centre of gravity) closer to the axes of rotation (i.e. your wrists/elbows/waist) makes it a lot easier to change the azimuth and elevation of a heavy lens.

OTOH, having a large, front-heavy lens reminds me of an old joke: two morons were sitting at the edge of a cliff, the big one fell off...

+1. Angular momentum is public enemy number one.

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:56 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

jcolwell wrote:
+100%

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:58 PM
vivisha
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

I was also at the lecture last night, and enjoyed the stories behind some of the pictures. I especially liked how he talked about the planning and execution of a shot, and the jube shots after the victory.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:28 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

What happens to the photos that don't make the cull? Does he just delete them or keep them all for personal use?

Nov 09, 2012 at 03:28 AM
psurrette
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

Peter is a great photographer and also one heck of a nice person. I attended his spring weeklong workshop in Denver this year and I have to tell you the wealth of information given out over an entire week is just amazing. And I get the feeling we did not even scratch the surface of what he could impart given more time. He was extremely accessible all week and very hands on helping all the shooters. I would highly recommend you to go see Peter any where he is speaking or conducting a workshop.

Video of this years workshop

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password