Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Doctorbird's message #11101008 « Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ... »

Doctorbird
Upload & Sell: On
Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ...

I attended an excellent presentation by the Sports Illustrated veteran photographer Peter Read Miller. This was one of the Canon Live Learning series that takes place once every few weeks at Canon's Hollywood locale. It highlighted his coverage at several Olympics including Los Angeles (his first), Beijing, London and Barcelona, and at pro and college sports, both in the field and in some studio sports portraits environments. It was an insightful look into how he goes about getting his great shots including many that made the SI covers.

Some tidbits gleaned from him that's apropos to this forum though:

He shoots Canon, several 1DX's

Says that the 1DX surpasses the 1DIV in performance, but he's still learning the AF system. Although the tutorial in this link to the Sportshooter site might suggest otherwise:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2678

Prefers the 400mm f/2.8II mostly on a monopod since tripods aren't allowed in many venues. Says it's much improved over the previous model. He does however use longer lenses up to the 800 and TC's for special close up effects - expressions, etc.

The 600mm may be a bit long for many type of sports.

Really likes the new 24-70 that he uses for close field shots on a 1DX hanging from his neck while holding the monopod mounted camera.

Also uses the Fisheye sometimes for dramatic effect. And an angle finder for ground level shots.

Had use of the new 200-400mm in London but sadly had to return it to Canon. Interestingly, he said that it probably weighs about the same as the older 400mm f/2.8 (almost 12lbs?? hard to believe!!) but the center of mass is towards the rear of the lens because of the built in TC. Probably going to be pricey.

Tripod mounted 400mm, 600mm with 1DX's were on display, as well as th3 24-70 II and a 70-200II.

These free presentations are nice touch from Canon, that runs for a couple of hours after working hours. I'm fortunate that the location is close enough for me to be a regular attendee.

Db

Note: Edited message

Nov 08, 2012 at 09:52 PM
Doctorbird

I attended an excellent presentation by the Sports Illustrated veteran photographer Peter Read Miller. This was one of the Canon Live Learning series that takes place once every few weeks at Canon's Hollywood locale. It highlighted his coverage at several Olympics including Los Angeles (his first), Beijing, London and Barcelona, and at pro and college sports, both in the field and in some studio sports portraits environments. It was an insightful look into how he goes about getting his great shots including many that made the SI covers.

Says that the 1DX surpasses the 1DIV in performance, but he's still learning the AF system. Although the tutorial in this link to the Sportshooter site might suggest otherwise:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2678

Prefers the 400mm f/2.8II mostly on a monopod since tripods aren't allowed in many venues. Says it's much improved over the previous model. He does however use longer lenses up to the 800 and TC's for special close up effects - expressions, etc.

The 600mm may be a bit long for many type of sports.

Really likes the new 24-70 that he uses for close field shots on a 1DX hanging from his neck while holding the monopod mounted camera.

Also uses the Fisheye sometimes for dramatic effect. And an angle finder for ground level shots.

Had use of the new 200-400mm in London but sadly had to return it to Canon. Interestingly, he said that it probably weighs about the same as the older 400mm f/2.8 (almost 12lbs?? hard to believe!!) but the center of mass is towards the rear of the lens because of the built in TC. Probably going to be pricey.

These free presentations are nice touch from Canon, that runs for a couple of hours after working hours. I'm fortunate that the location is close enough for me to be a regular attendee.

Db

Note: Edited message

Nov 08, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Doctorbird

I attended an excellent presentation by the Sports Illustrated veteran photographer Peter Read Miller. This was one of the Canon Live Learning series that takes place once every few weeks in Canon's Hollywood locale. It highlighted his coverage at several Olympics including Beijing, London and Barcelona, and at pro and college sports, both in the field and in some studio sports portraits environments. It was an insightful look into how he goes about getting his great shots including many that made the SI covers.

Says that the 1DX surpasses the 1DIV in performance, but he's still learning the AF system.

Prefers the 400mm f/2.8II mostly on a monopod since tripods aren't allowed in many venues. Says it's much improved over the previous model.

The 600mm may be a bit long for his type of sports.

Also uses the Fisheye sometimes for dramatic effect.

Db

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:08 AM

Previous versions of Doctorbird's message #11101008 « Sports Illustrated Photographer Presentation ... »