Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

Ordered and received 3 Einsteins recently. One of them will not fire. The only thing I saw on their site regarding trouble shooting for this required replacing the flash tube due to end of service life. The flash tube appears to be installed correctly and firmly. Yes, I contacted PCB customer support via email, but will have to wait a few days for them to respond and I was supposed to have a shoot later this afternoon and wanted to test these lights out. Don't worry, the shoot is with a friend for practice. Also, it's difficult for me to call their support team over the phone due to the time difference and I don't have a personal phone here to call long distance. Was hoping another FM member may have experienced the same thing and could guide me in the right direction without having to wait as long. Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Edited on Nov 04, 2012 at 06:55 AM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2012 at 03:06 AM
jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

the one time I had a problem like this with my buf lights it was due to a broken wire going from the flash tube to the electrical connector. The wires on the buff tubes are extremely thin and break very easily. Not sure if it can be repaired but if the LED circuit on the back of the lights are working it may be a tube. Try swapping the tube out from one of the other lights.

Oct 28, 2012 at 03:38 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #3 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

jzucker wrote:
the one time I had a problem like this with my buf lights it was due to a broken wire going from the flash tube to the electrical connector. The wires on the buff tubes are extremely thin and break very easily. Not sure if it can be repaired but if the LED circuit on the back of the lights are working it may be a tube. Try swapping the tube out from one of the other lights.

Thanks jzucker, it's the flash tube.

Oct 28, 2012 at 05:09 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

i complained to them about that. I don't know why they use such a thin wire leading to the connector. They said I was the only person who's reported a problem like that but I have a hard time believing it...

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #5 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

Hmmm...not sure, I'm curious if mine got damaged in shipping. Maybe they should start shipping with bulbs packed separately. I'm 9 hours ahead of Nashville so I've got to wait a bit longer before they respond to my email. Did they replace your bulb free of charge?

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

no_surrender wrote:
Hmmm...not sure, I'm curious if mine got damaged in shipping. Maybe they should start shipping with bulbs packed separately. I'm 9 hours ahead of Nashville so I've got to wait a bit longer before they respond to my email. Did they replace your bulb free of charge?

no

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #7 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

Maybe our situations are different. Mine was shipped with a defective flash bulb. I'd be really surprised if they didn't offer a free replacement.

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

no_surrender wrote:
Maybe our situations are different. Mine was shipped with a defective flash bulb. I'd be really surprised if they didn't offer a free replacement.

Yes, mine was working originally but broke when a softbox slipped off it. It was a minor impact (didn't break the tube) but because the wires are so thin, it snapped the wire. I'll bet the wire is smaller than .005"

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #9 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

no_surrender wrote:
Maybe they should start shipping with bulbs packed separately.

They used to do this back when I bought mine...bulbs in separate boxes.
And for the CC question, yes it always shows 16 bars for all 16 channels even if you only have 2 lights. It's one of those things we suggested as an improvement for the CC.

They'll take care of it if it's a defective bulb...not sure how you got them in Korea (if your sig is correct) though...

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:11 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

kenyee wrote:
They used to do this back when I bought mine...bulbs in separate boxes.
And for the CC question, yes it always shows 16 bars for all 16 channels even if you only have 2 lights. It's one of those things we suggested as an improvement for the CC.

They'll take care of it if it's a defective bulb...not sure how you got them in Korea (if your sig is correct) though...

It's hard to prove it's a defective bulb. The wire from the connector to the flash tube is so thin it can easily shear, even from inserting as happened on one of mine. I don't doubt that it can sheer through vibration or force if the box is mishandled during shipping. This is something they could easily address in their manufacturing specifications.

In my case, i had to pay for a new tube.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

kenyee wrote:
...not sure how you got them in Korea (if your sig is correct) though...

Being in the Air Force, it's often like being stateside when it comes to getting mail/packages.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:37 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #12 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

jzucker, I see what you mean by the thin wire connector...it appears to be very fragile. Maybe PCB will improve the connection in the future.

kenyee, thanks for the CC clarification.

kenyee / BrianO, they shipped my order via USPS to an APO address here on base...it wasn't cheap!

Kevin

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #13 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

BTW, about how long are the flash tubes lasting for you guys? PCB is going to send a replacement and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and order another as a spare or do these last for at least a year with moderate usage?

Thanks! Kevin

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

they last a long time but they are so flimsy I would definitely keep a spare around. I went through several in a 2 month period

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #15 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

I've been using Einstein's since they first came on the market, and haven't had any bulb issues so far. Two of them (in a Pelican case) fell out of the back of my truck at 30MPH, and still no issues. Definitely lucky!

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:17 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #16 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

jzucker wrote:
they last a long time but they are so flimsy I would definitely keep a spare around. I went through several in a 2 month period

Did you go thru them from heavy use or did they just break for no reason?

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:11 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

no_surrender wrote:

If you pack yours in a rugged case (like the Pelican mentioned above), and if you use reasonable care in placing and removing modifiers, yours should last a long time.

Having one or two spares is just good insurance, especially considering your current distance from the factory.

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:59 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #18 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

BigIronCruiser wrote:
I've been using Einstein's since they first came on the market, and haven't had any bulb issues so far. Two of them (in a Pelican case) fell out of the back of my truck at 30MPH, and still no issues. Definitely lucky!

Wow, good to know! Probably a testament to Pelican, but glad you haven't had any issues with them. What Pelican case are you using? I was thinking of getting the 1514 carry on model, but not quite sure if I'll be able to fit 3 Einsteins in there. I was planning on packing them in using the foam that they're originally shipped in.

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:07 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #19 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

BrianO wrote:
If you pack yours in a rugged case (like the Pelican mentioned above), and if you use reasonable care in placing and removing modifiers, yours should last a long time.

Having one or two spares is just good insurance, especially considering your current distance from the factory.

I agree, may have to order two spares along with the replacement. Thanks, BrianO!

Kevin

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:17 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · PCB Einstein not firing (Update - defective flashtube)

no_surrender wrote:

Each time it was from a light modifier slipping off the grip. This actually happened on the alien bees, not the einsteins. The grips on the bees are not nearly as strong or heavy duty. The einstein grips are thicker and the springs are much heavier, plus the way it locks and unlocks is better.

But when I saw how thin the wire is (thinner than the high e string of a heavy metal rock guitar) I knew it was not a good situation!

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password