Upload & Sell: Off
Posting this here thinking my issues might be a common problem amongst wedding photographers.
Shot my first wedding this past weekend where I decided to go with off camera flashes at the reception hall. I recently upgraded from the AB Cybersync solution to a PocketWizard family of PW3's and the mini/flexTTL for my Canon's. I started simple with a speedlight on camera with the mini, and another speedlight on a stand with the flex. It was endless frustration. Here are some things I experienced:
- remote flash would only pop when I was very close by, within 15 feet, say.
- no TTL half the time, so flash would regularly be overpowered, blowing out the scene.
- flash would be totally unresponsive, that is until I powered everything down, then up again.
- no change when I switched to a manual set up with PW3's instead of mini/flex
- when I moved the remote flash from the dining area, down to the dance area, things became much better.
Some things I've considered that might be root cause:
- recently upgraded firmware so I could shoot TTL with my 5D Mark 3. But no change when I switched to my back up Mark 2.
- fresh batteries were in everything.
- something changed when I went to the dance floor, not sure if it was closer distances, interference up in the dining area or what, but all of a sudden it was 100% reliable.
- settings on the speedlights, maybe I needed to change something that I didn't.
- I didn't bring along the hot shoe / black bag thing for the speedlight that is supposed to cut down on interference, maybe that's it.
If anyone can offer any insight or past experience that might be relevant, that would be very helpful.
Thanks so much.