Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Prettym1k3's message #11061114 « PWs at reception »

Prettym1k3
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: PWs at reception

I just bought three PW Plus3\'s. I returned them for a TT1 and two TT5\'s. A little more pricey, but I wanted high-speed sync (just because).

The long and short of this, and maybe it\'s because I\'m on Nikon, these are an absolute dream. SB-700 on one stand with a TT5. SB-600 on another with a TT5. They fired EVERY-SINGLE-TIME no matter where I was. I even stepped outside to get a back-light foggy shot of the bride and groom and forgot to change channels. My flash inside the barn 150 feet away popped flawlessly.

I manually set power to a decent level. Usually something like 1/8 or 1/16th. Up the ISO as necessary. Get my shutter speed wherever the ambient light is where I want it. Then adjust aperture to make sure the OCF isn\'t blowing out my shot, or destroying my subjects. TTL worked well in a few of my tests, but when you\'re rim lighting someone, or back-lighting someone, it\'s hit or miss. I\'d rather dial it in where I know it\'ll be good 4 out of 5 shots, than miss a bunch in a row because TTL is thinking something that\'s totally off.

I wouldn\'t be happier with my TT1/TT5 PW purchase. Amazing stuff.

I looked into the Phottix Odin, but they felt a little flimsy to me. I also had a set of Yongnuo\'s a few years ago that died on their own, with hardly any use, in less than a year. I\'ve heard good things about Cybersyncs. And my associate shooter loves his RadioPoppers. They operate somehow using Nikon\'s CLS system so you can still control power from your CLS menu on camera.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Prettym1k3

I just bought three PW Plus3\'s. I returned them for a TT1 and two TT5\'s. A little more pricey, but I wanted high-speed sync (just because).

The long and short of this, and maybe it\'s because I\'m on Nikon, these are an absolute dream. SB-700 on one stand with a TT5. SB-600 on another with a TT5. They fired EVERY-SINGLE-TIME no matter where I was. I even stepped outside to get a back-light foggy shot of the bride and groom and forgot to change channels. My flash inside the barn 150 feet away popped flawlessly.

I manually set power to a decent level. Usually something like 1/8 or 1/16th. Up the ISO as necessary. Get my shutter speed wherever the ambient light is where I want it. Then adjust aperture to make sure the OCF isn\'t blowing out my shot, or destroyed my subjects. TTL worked well in a few of my tests, but when you\'re rim lighting someone, or back-lighting someone, it\'s hit or miss. I\'d rather dial it in where I know it\'ll be good 4 out of 5 shots, than miss a bunch in a row because TTL is thinking something that\'s totally off.

I looked into the Phottix Odin, but they felt a little flimsy to me. I also had a set of Yongnuo\'s a few years ago that died on their own, with hardly any use, in less than a year. I\'ve heard good things about Cybersyncs. And my associate shooter loves his RadioPoppers. They operate somehow using Nikon\'s CLS system so you can still control power from your CLS menu on camera.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Prettym1k3

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:10 PM

Previous versions of Prettym1k3's message #11061114 « PWs at reception »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.