Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Oracle Corp.

mobius2005

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Oracle Corp.

Took this yesterday evening. Unfortunately there were no clouds but the light on the buildings was still good. What can I improve here?

30 second exposure with a 14-24mm lens at f/16

Thanks

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Oracle Corp.

I like this.
Perspective/lens correction looks pretty good to me.The yellow lights play nicely with the darkly colored buildings. Detail looks good.
The reddish rocks need to go. The color interrupts the serenity and balance of the scene and appears artificial. The rocks do not add to the comp. I'd desaturate and burn them down to shadows/silhouetted shoreline.
Some dust bunnies, esp extreme upper left, along left side of second building from the left and a few others to carefully scan the image for and clone out.
Not sure if there is a bit of banding in the sky but it may be an artifact of downsizing, would not be noticeable in print, and could be how the sky was.
Scott

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Oracle Corp.

Was that taken with a 14-24 or "the" 14-24?

+1 @ Scott

I would probably suggest not using f16 with a UWA to stay away from diffraction just a touch. My observations is that it reduces your contrast a little bit. With the WA/UWA, your DOF is essentially secure in this shot without a need to stop down that far. f8 or f11 should be fine ... as long as it still gets you a long enough motion blur on the water to your taste.

Otherwise, the capture is looking pretty good. The PP will simply be a matter of taste as to how much color you want to mine for and what flavoring you want to give your WB/sharpness/contrast. Also, your crop of choice, but I don't know that there is much better to be done on the capture. My long winded way of saying "nice".

Added some red to the shadow WB and blue to the highlight WB, sharpened, cloned the rocks, assigned to aRGB color space, then converted back to sRGB for posting (with a little desat to offset the color space variance). And then a trim off the bottom.

As always, S&P to taste.

Edited on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Oracle Corp.

+1 on f8. I bet f5.6 would do the trick here. Nice shot anyway.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM
mobius2005

p.1 #5 · Oracle Corp.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have removed the dust as Scott suggested. I didn't even see it until he mentioned it

RustyBug: Thanks for taking the time to run it though an awesome PP. I am in awe of how much better the picture looks. I have tried to reproduce your effect. I didn't even know the feature where you can selectively add colors to shadows. I have posted just few pictures here and learning so much already.

Here's my attempt to reproduce your version. Cloning of the rocks was a pathetic failure, but I learned so much about changing the color to bring that pop... incredible!!

And yes, it was taken with "the" 14-24

Thanks,
Rohit

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Oracle Corp.

If you'd waited a little longer until the wind picked up....

(Sorry. Couldn't resist an editorial comment.)

Edited on Oct 19, 2012 at 02:47 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Oracle Corp.

Cool ...

Glad you like the shadow adjust thing. I'm an ardent fan of trying to find and adjust casts to improve clarity (not to be confused with cranking up the clarity slider).

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:47 AM
mobius2005

p.1 #8 · Oracle Corp.

Auntipode. It seems you have been to this location.

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:01 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Oracle Corp.

This is a beautiful shot... All I have done is increase Vibrancy, Clarity, Applied Shadows / Highlights in CS5, applied a 3 pixel motion blur on the water, and a Glamour Glow in Nik Color Efex Pro... Hope I did not mess it up... Jim

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password