Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NEX 5R vs NEX 6: features

mjk115

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NEX 5R vs NEX 6: features

My apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it.

So the 5R and 6 appear to be using the same sensor and AF system. They both share the same (somewhat hobbled) 2 dial interface. But what are the main differences?

What I see:

5R exclusive features:
1. touch screen with touch shutter feature
2. 180 degree tilting screen (for self portraits and such)
3. smaller form factor.
4. better-placed movie button
5. top-placed playback button

6 exclusive features:
1. OLED viewfinder
2. Mode dial (but no custom settings)
3. Built-in flash
4. more robust form factor (more comfortable to my hands)
5. odd movie button placement
6. AEL button
7. Quick-Navi menu option (very nice feature from my A900 days)
8. rear-placed playback button
9. 90 degree tilting screen

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or have made a mistake here. With the 3 newly announced lenses, I will be purchasing one of these camera. I'm not interested in tele lenses, as I'll continue to use my D700 for that, but for wide angle to normal, I'm excited about this system, especially with the 10-18, as I'm always down on the ground with my d700 and 17-35.

The question is which one?

The flash is irrelevant to me. I like the 180 degree touch screen feature of the 5R. But I also like the larger form factor of the 6. And Quick-Navi would seem to be a very convenient way of bypassing the sub-par NEX menu system. I don't think the 5R is offering this feature, but I'm not sure.

The viewfinder is a big question mark. I see myself doing a lot of waist-height and lower shooting. I could always add a viewfinder to the 5R, but I can't add a touch screen to the 6. But the form factor(7) sure feels good in my hand. Decisions, decisions.

Edited on Oct 07, 2012 at 12:24 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:24 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NEX 5R vs NEX 6: features

I used a 5N extensively for a two week country hopping trip last year. Awesome IQ but not very fun to use because a lack of dials and a lack of grip. I didn't have the evf at the time and that sucked shooting in daylight, turned to guesswork.

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:38 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NEX 5R vs NEX 6: features

As someone who owned the 5N and 7 at the same time, and I can say that adding one of the various leather half cases on the market to the 5N makes its grip and size very similar to the 7, and I'd imagine it to be the same with the 5R vs. 6.

The viewfinder is the big question mark. The external EVF tilts and, for most shooters, it seems to be easier to seal off outside light from your eye. However, I stuck with the 7's internal EVF, because of the sleeker form factor.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:55 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NEX 5R vs NEX 6: features

Also an external Evf is yet another expensive to lose, forget, or accidentally damage in your camera bag. Tilt is nice to have though.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NEX 5R vs NEX 6: features

if you love street photography then its the 5r; for everything else, the 6. I plan to get the 5R and use the d700 for times I want an OVF / FF.

Oct 06, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NEX 5R vs NEX 6: features

frezeiss wrote:
if you love street photography then its the 5r; for everything else, the 6. I plan to get the 5R and use the d700 for times I want an OVF / FF.

You got me curious now. Wondering how 5R would differ from 6 in regard to street photography?

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:59 PM
mjk115

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NEX 5R vs NEX 6: features

I'm not sure I get why the 5R would be better for street photography either. It's only marginally smaller than the 6, and both screens can tilt at least 90 degrees for discreet waist height shooting (a fact I'd failed to list above, but have now added).

I do like the idea of a tilting viewfinder as well though. That would be one advantage to using the external viewer on the 5R.

I'll also have to check out some of these cases for the 5R that make it a bit larger and easy to hold. Any suggested manufacturers?

Oct 07, 2012 at 12:32 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password