Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How to give this more pop?

mrhoni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to give this more pop?

I have the current version of Lightroom and Photoshop, but not very knowledgeable about how I might give this more pop than what can be done in Lightroom. In Lightroom there might be more I could try, but this is what I got when making adjustments.

http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-tNBcFcG/0/X2/i-tNBcFcG-X2.jpg

http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-s4TdZ59/0/X2/i-s4TdZ59-X2.jpg

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:32 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to give this more pop?

Those are good photos, and all they need is just some contrast and bit sharpness. That's it. Of course, you can always cut it out and place it in some more exotic environs if that's what you're after.

Here are some quick blends and little sharpening.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maxoqoxZMm1rvtmuto1_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maxoqoxZMm1rvtmuto2_1280.jpg

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to give this more pop?

IMO they do not need any more contrast or sharpening. Since the faucets and other background shapes are distracting, why not just crop tighter and clean up the background?

Sep 28, 2012 at 09:09 PM
mrhoni
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to give this more pop?

Per your suggestion, I have made my edit.

http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-wkZrG2F/1/X2/i-wkZrG2F-X2.jpg

Sep 29, 2012 at 01:38 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to give this more pop?

Tony (Imagemaster) hid the nail right on the head for you. Your second edit using his suggestion is great. On thing that makes this particular image really jump is the adjust for a very small color variation you have. It will clean up the whites and make your pups lovely color variation really stand out. If you adjust the color by increasing your blue hue slider (under HSL) a bit she will really pop nicely, about 15-25 looks right IMO. Nice images.

Dave

Sep 29, 2012 at 02:13 PM
mrhoni
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to give this more pop?

Hmm, in LR4, on the HSL, I select Hue and slide the blue but I don't much of a change. Not familiar with PS to do this, but I think I found Hue and Blue and changed it. Those changes that I noticed are the same small changes that I noticed in LR4, so I don't notice any additional POP.

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to give this more pop?

Part of the problem is that you have mixed lighting which is causing you to have different color casts (warm vs. cool) in differing areas of the image.

Those areas that were illuminated by your flash have one WB, while those areas the flash didn't reach (or reached less of) were illuminated by ambient WB. Anytime you have a color cast, it will rob you of the ability to make it "pop".

The supersaturation reveals the differing areas. Notice how the sink changes color (also the tiles) when it should be a consistent color (i.e. white or close to it). Shooting @ high ISO/slow shutter may have allowed you to pick up warm ambient influence in the areas not receiving direct flash.

Edited on Sep 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM
mrhoni
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to give this more pop?

Window light and bounced flash were used. Since you have identified a colorcast, I'm thinking it is probably caused by the flash bouncing off tan wall camera right. Window light was behind camera left.
I had thought of using a soft box, but the dog is quite timid. I may try this again - I need the pop.😃

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to give this more pop?

Bouncing off a colored wall and window light ... yup, that'll do it. Two different colors @ key vs fill.

Also, if you were using window light, it was likely blue if you shot it @ noon or so, since no direct sunlight (i.e. only skylight) could come through the window. So, having cool window light and flash bouncing off a warm wall (plus areas of overlap) makes a tough gig for getting good WB throughout.

If this had been a different time of day (i.e. golden hours), your window light could have been on the warmer side of "white" if direct sunlight were coming through. Then at least the colored wall and window light would be a closer match at degrees of variance (warm vs. warm) rather than polar opposites (cool vs. warm). Optionally, you could use a neutral item to bounce your flash if you want to mix with the window light. Then it would be cool (or warm time of day dependent) vs. white. Also, you could use the flash as "key" rather than "fill" and allow the window to play the role of fill. Using the flash as key has the added benefit of more contrast in your lighting.

Notice too, the "rainbow" across the dog revealing the transition from cool to warm as the two light sources blend. You can see the "rainbow" again in the foreground tiles. It would be helpful if both these "white" areas had only one color cast to correct for.

With two color casts involved, correcting for the blue cast by warming it will intensify the warm cast. Going the other way to correct for the warm cast by cooling it will intensify the cool cast. Having two casts puts (especially warm vs. cool) you in a "catch 22" of push/pull for WB cast correction.

Another piece of the puzzle @ generating "pop" ... if your window light is diffuse and you bounce your flash to diffuse it as well, it is a bit more challenging to create the contrasty "pop" without contrasty light. North light (indirect window light) has its appeal and is widely regarded, but it comes with reduced contrast (the appeal for "soft" light) and non-white color variance. If it is "pop" you're after, it might be worth reconsidering the role/utilization of your window light.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.