Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

I'm thinking of giving them a try next week. They are a small shop and require reservations in advance.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Please let us know how it goes. I usually ship to Irvine, but might be interested in trying drive to Hollywood.

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:36 PM
gbaren

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Thumbs up for CPS Hollywood. I usually ship to Irvine as well. Mason completely took care of me. FYI you have to call to set an appointment time. Service same as Irvine…excellent.

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:15 AM
akivisuals
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Been there a few times already. Mason over there is awesome! Really excellent service, but you have to be CPS Gold or higher to get an appointment time.

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:57 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

It's quite accessible for me so I take advantage of this. Had a complementary clean and check on opening day and, later, an adjustment done on my 5D3. They claim a full tech setup. Mason, the front guy, and the techs there are very friendly and helpful if you happen to meet them. In addition I've been going to some of their workshops organized by Gina that's hosted there. Today there is an 'In Depth Look at Canon's Autofocus System' presentation.

Db

Edited on Sep 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Thanks everyone. I'll be down there on Friday to drop off some stuff for check up. If anyone wants to meet there, lmk!

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Another ditto to the above positive comments and Mason. The only issue I had was major road work being done on Sunset so there was very little parking available. That was a month ago though so it could be done now. The facility there is gorgeous. Be sure to check out their showroom - lots of amazing toys.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:05 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Yes, parking/traffic is tough there. Unlike, say, the Jamesburg, NJ, and the Irvine, CA, facilities which are physically integrated with a major Canon structure with ample parking, the Sunset store is a stand alone facility in Hollywood w/o its own parking amenities. It's located there because of the proximity to the local videophiles to establish a turf, so the emphasis is towards their cine offerings.

Db

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:26 PM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Doctorbird wrote:
It's located there because of the proximity to the local videophiles to establish a turf, so the emphasis is towards their cine offerings.

Db

and the first thing came to my mind was that it's there to serve the slew of paparazzi.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:16 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

jojosung wrote:
and the first thing came to my mind was that it's there to serve the slew of paparazzi.

Except I doubt the majority are CPS Gold members. Most just take their gear to Samys for repair. The Canon service center is located in the very busy Sunset Gower studio complex, so the film/entertainment market is definitely their focus.

Edited on Sep 26, 2012 at 08:26 AM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:22 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

So can I assume CPS Hollywood > CPS Irvine? Irvine is supposedly the CPS assigned to me via CPS Silver but I have heard that is not the best one in USA.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:25 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

I've used both Hollywood and Irvine now and both have been fine. One difference is that Hollywood is drop off only, whereas you can mail your gear into Irvine (both will mail back to you). Since Hollywood is relatively close to me I'd prefer to just walk my gear in.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:28 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Ah I had no idea it was drop-in only for CPS Hollywood. Thanks a lot for the info.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:56 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

I think you need to be Gold or Platinum to use the Hollywood facility, right?

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:09 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Yep... gold or platinum. Luckily I'm gold.

Will provide a review after I get back.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

Actually Hollywood CPS will not repair anything.

From the CPS page

"Repairs mailed to the Hollywood facility will not be accepted. Please utilize our Irvine, CA factory service center for mail-in service."

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

4x4rock wrote:
Actually Hollywood CPS will not repair anything.

From the CPS page

"Repairs mailed to the Hollywood facility will not be accepted. Please utilize our Irvine, CA factory service center for mail-in service."

They do repair but need to know what you are bringing in before you walk in so they have parts on hand.

If you read it carefully, that statement is related to mail-in repairs.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Hutch
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

+1 Kudos for Hollywood Service Center and Mason. Dropped off equipment yesterday and got follow-up call from him today. Parking is a pain and Sunset Blvd. construction is ongoing.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:54 PM
jschwedock

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

I brought in my 1DMkIII and 70-200 MkII for service there. Both items had to be sent to Irvine to complete the work. Body was ready for pick up at Hollywood before lens as Mason told me my UV filter on the lens had cracked and they will replace free of charge. Did not think anything of it as this is "Canon Professional Service". Eventually picked up Body and Lens the next week, without the UV filter which would be sent at a later date. Got home to So. Bay ,read the repair report which stated the front lens element on the 70-200 had to be replaced. Some major event happened after the lens left Canon Irvine, my guess when originally shipped back with body, and Lens went back to Irvine.
Never got a straight answer as to what happened to the lens. Damaged during shipping or when it got back to Hollywood the first time? I also found some large particles under the front element, which in fairness was Canon Irvines fault. Had to make another trip to Hollywood to take care of this. Lens made another trip to Irvine. "do you think they work in a clean room"? was a Hollywood Techs reply.
Mason is a nice enough fellow, and maybe he didn't know the whole story, but I felt misled. Eventually got the Heliopan UV after a few emails. I will ship to Irvine next time. No, I did not get any make goods and was not looking for any but big improvement in Lens and Camera function after adjustments.

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:33 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone try out CPS Hollywood yet?

I just dropped off a 300mm for C+C and a 200mm for service. The facilities looks nice with photos of hollywood movies hanging on the walls.

Unfortunately Mason wasn't there (first vacation day in a year) but the lady up front was very friendly and took care of me. She even went inside and gave me my shutter count on two cameras.

Sep 28, 2012 at 04:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.