Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3              18       19       end

Archive 2012 · Fall Color 2012

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fall Color 2012

DH drove from Durango to Ouray to Montrose to Aspen for work yesterday and said there is just a bit of color change going into Ouray, not much is showing anywhere else...

Sep 05, 2012 at 09:20 AM
astv99
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fall Color 2012

I have a question for any northeasterners: are there any spots near NYC, NJ, or PA (Wilkes-Barre through State College) that will have fall color around mid-November, or will it be gone by then? For example, will Ricketts Glen in PA still have fall color in November? Would like to know in advance, thanks!

Colorado update:

On my way back home on a trip over the Labor Day weekend, I stopped by Maroon Bells and went over Independence Pass. The only spot with any amount of yellow aspens was at the low-elevation end of Independence Pass, near the intersection with Hwy 24 (at Twin Lakes). Everything else was still 99% green. I'd say the Aspen area still has about 3 weeks to go maybe.

I didn't see much of any color directly along I-70 all the way up to Glenwood Springs either.

However I was surprised to see odd individual trees (or even just branches) every now and then that had already gone completely gold - some around Vail, Maroon Bells, Independence Pass, and Leadville. They stuck out like sore thumbs against the masses of green.

This shot at Maroon Bells was taken on 9/3: (not for C&C, just a snapshot)

I've already tentatively re-adjusted an upcoming trip to the McClure & Kebler Pass area back to starting on 9/23 (from 9/28). Hopefully it'll be peak that week. Last year, McClure & Kebler were peak 9/30-10/2 - I'm banking on them peaking a little earlier this year.

Edited on Sep 07, 2012 at 02:34 AM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fall Color 2012

Hey Asrale,

Thanks for the shot of the Bells! It's good to see that area all green still.

I did the same thing as you, I already moved up my trip to Colorado by a week, so I will be there on the 24th. Last year was a late peak, this looks like it might be a bit early, hopefully the 24th will work for me. I can't get there any sooner... so it will have to do...

Jim

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:27 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fall Color 2012

I've also moved my trip to Colorado up a week. Now the 16th thru the 28th. Was the last week of Sept. and first week of Oct. But, by all reports it will be an early fall.

Sep 07, 2012 at 04:38 AM
Ektar25
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fall Color 2012

Northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula are showing some color already, looks like peak color might be a week or so early this year. The third or fourth week of September will probably be the best.

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:44 AM
yowzer

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fall Color 2012

For the New England area I have found this site to be of help....

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/

Sep 07, 2012 at 07:19 AM
mamankyle
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fall Color 2012

I just drove from Carbondale to Telluride yesyerday, over Independence pass and Dallas Divide near Ridgeway. Many cottonwoods in the Crystal River Valley are turning, as are many of the Aspens. Independance pass is certainly not mostly green, it has that green yellow look over large areas. Mclure might be different. The Telluride area in the San juans has not even started it seems, mostly green. Sorry I did not have my camera.

Sep 07, 2012 at 07:52 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fall Color 2012

It's coming...
Yesterday...
http://ckcarr.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Nature-and-Outdoors/i-qHHG3kw/0/M/DSC3062-M.jpg

Sorry for the so, so quality. Was on a steep Jeep road and thought I'd get to a better place, but it never happened...

Sep 07, 2012 at 10:13 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fall Color 2012

Asrale wrote:
However I was surprised to see odd individual trees (or even just branches) every now and then that had already gone completely gold...

Every year (in the Sierra Nevada) I spot a few trees that do this - turn bright yellow in the midst of an otherwise completely green grove. And, yes, when I see them I often start thinking, "Oh, boy! Early fall this year!" And it usually turns out I was wrong...

We'll see.

Dan

Sep 07, 2012 at 10:46 AM
69charger
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fall Color 2012

Still green here in Southern Ontario, however the monarchs are starting to feed like mad for the flight to Mexico.
Darren

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:30 AM
coferg
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fall Color 2012

Like Greg said, the aspens are going to turn early in the central Colorado mountains. I hang out in Summit County (i.e. Breckenridge) every Labor Day, and although one can always find a leaf or two going gold that time of year, I have never seen so many half-whole trees turning during the holiday. My bigger concern is the quality of the changing color, I hope the leaves stay attached long enough for us to get some good shots, but it may turn out to be a short season - the ol turn and drop routine, because of the lack of moisture. Its been cool at night, in the mid 40's F - but still warm during the day, and if there are no clouds even a 70F day in the sun is like a clothers drier on high. I'd be interested to know if the trees are in better shape further west, such as Crested Butte. They may. or may not, have had more snow and spring/summer rain. I've moved up my outing plans by 7-10 days.
-Jim

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:19 PM
DSC01
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fall Color 2012

Asrale, If you are in the NYC area and surrounding Lower Hudson Valley at that time there should still be plenty of color. Harriman State Park (30 min from NYC) is a great place for fall shooting should still be peaking then. You will still find color and down leaves around waterfalls in the Catskills and Minewaska area as well.
If you need specific spots or anybody else fro that matter, send me a PM and I will do my best to help you out. I live in Bergen County, North NJ about 15-20 min from NYC and 5-10 min from Harriman. Regards, Dean

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:40 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fall Color 2012

DH said that coming home from Aspen through Ouray to Durango today, the color is barely starting to develop from North of Ouray to Molas Pass (South of Silverton). The mountain sides don't have much color showing overall yet... But it seems to be coming.

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:41 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fall Color 2012

Asrale wrote:
I have a question for any northeasterners: are there any spots near NYC, NJ, or PA (Wilkes-Barre through State College) that will have fall color around mid-November, or will it be gone by then? For example, will Ricketts Glen in PA still have fall color in November? Would like to know in advance, thanks!

I would think it would be gone by then. I am in the Philadelphia area

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Jet915
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fall Color 2012

ghdarnell wrote:
I would think it would be gone by then. I am in the Philadelphia area

I was at Ricketts Glenn last year at peak and that was the 2nd/3rd week of October.

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:16 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Fall Color 2012

I was sitting at the house this evening watching the first good front of the fall season come through. A couple more like this one ought to get the trees doing their thing. Some "Fall Color" in these though not in the traditional sense!

Sep 08, 2012 at 08:14 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Fall Color 2012

NCAndy wrote:
I was sitting at the house this evening watching the first good front of the fall season come through. A couple more like this one ought to get the trees doing their thing. Some "Fall Color" in these though not in the traditional sense!

Nice view from "the house"!

Sep 08, 2012 at 10:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Fall Color 2012

When looking for photographic evidence of aspens changing color, regard carefully any backlit photographs - backlit aspen leaves can appear to be yellowish (lime green) when photographed in backlight, but up close they are still... green! :-)

(Though this interesting lime-green stage does seem to me to be one that occurs not long before the real color change occurs. )

This observation can be useful to folks in another way, too. While those who have photographed aspens a lot probably already know this, sometimes relatively drab aspen color can become stunning when you shoot toward the light with the aspens backlit - and even when some but not all trees have changed this can create a scene that seems very colorful.

Dan

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:33 AM
D. von Briesen
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Fall Color 2012

nothing, gdan, like high backlight for translucent aspens quaking away!! i even look for east/west forest roads to take advantage of this, drivng one direction late mid-morning and the other early mid-afternoon. very effective along the hundreds of back road miles in and just outside of grand canyon national park on the north rim side!!

Sep 09, 2012 at 03:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Fall Color 2012

D. von Briesen wrote:
nothing, gdan, like high backlight for translucent aspens quaking away!! i even look for east/west forest roads to take advantage of this, drivng one direction late mid-morning and the other early mid-afternoon. very effective along the hundreds of back road miles in and just outside of grand canyon national park on the north rim side!!

As a Californian whose is less experienced in the seasonal patterns and changes in that area, what can you tell me about the timing of those changes in the north rim area? Here in California, I know where and when to look for aspen color with a great degree of certainty, but I may be in the southwest shortly and it would be great if I can time things right.

Thanks,

Dan

Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.