Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              18       19       end

Archive 2012 · Fall Color 2012

garyroach
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall Color 2012

Has anyone started a fall color trip report yet? According to the locals on Tripadvisor, the aspen are already turning in the higher elevations in Colorado. I won't be there for two more weeks. Hope I time it right.

Let us know how the colors are coming along in your part of the world. Thanks.

Edited on Sep 01, 2012 at 07:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:22 PM
billk55
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall Color 2012

No, no, it's too soon!

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:26 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall Color 2012

billk55 wrote:
No, no, it's too soon!

Sorry, I don't control the weather, I just report it!

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:52 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall Color 2012

Nothing has changed in the Rockies (Alberta). Starting to get our first snap of cold weather and morning temps below freezing, so it won't be long

Last year peak season was around 3rd week of Sept for us (Larch Valley, Lake Louise, etc)

Sep 01, 2012 at 08:07 PM
mamankyle
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fall Color 2012

Here in Carbondale, Co, about 30 miles down valley from Aspen and the Maroon Bells, the oaks are already starting to turn, as are some aspens higher up. I believe the color will be a couple of weeks earlier than normal. I have lived here 15 years and have not seen the leaves start turning so soon. I would be more than happy to post an occasional quick pic of some of the higher valley's over the next few weeks, if that would be helpful to anyone. The peak color last year was in the first few days of October, this was on the 5th:

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000A5FpRMzX6y8/s/500/I0000A5FpRMzX6y8.jpg

Greg

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:16 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fall Color 2012

Yep, sort of that way in the LaSal Mountains. Things slowly turning, but several weeks ahead of schedule. Must be the dryness.

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:20 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fall Color 2012

mamankyle wrote:
Here in Carbondale, Co, about 30 miles down valley from Aspen and the Maroon Bells, the oaks are already starting to turn, as are some aspens higher up. I believe the color will be a couple of weeks earlier than normal. I have lived here 15 years and have not seen the leaves start turning so soon. I would be more than happy to post an occasional quick pic of some of the higher valley's over the next few weeks, if that would be helpful to anyone. The peak color last year was in the first few days of October,
...Show more

Scared me there for a moment. I thought the photo was taken this year at first. Yes, if you could keep us posted, that would be helpful. I'll be coming through Carbondale on the 19th.

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:58 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fall Color 2012

I will follow this closely, anyone local to the North Carolina mountains, near the Blue Ridge parkway...that is where my dad and I will spend 2+ days this year...first overnight photo trip.

Sep 02, 2012 at 10:46 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fall Color 2012

I live on the TN side of the Smokies, but venture over the mountain to the NC side and BR Parkway often when the leaves start to turn. I'm sure NCAndy will also let us know how things are progressing over there. But, don't expect much until we are well into October.

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fall Color 2012

good to hear garyroach...our trip is planned for either the 13th or 20th of October. Scouring the web, it looks like the two middle weeks of October are usually good weeks, just wondering about things turning early this year.

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:05 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fall Color 2012

Travis Rhoads wrote:
good to hear garyroach...our trip is planned for either the 13th or 20th of October. Scouring the web, it looks like the two middle weeks of October are usually good weeks, just wondering about things turning early this year.

You probably already know that the higher elevations turn first then work their way down the mountains. We won't know if the color will be early for another month. Usually the last half of October is the peak time of the year. Last year they were done by the end of October. But, each year is a little different.

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Digitaldog

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fall Color 2012

Headed to the San Juans the 2nd week of September - Crested Butte, Ouray, and Telluride - right thru the heat of aspen country and hope the report of early color are true. I hope to send reports while there.

Sep 02, 2012 at 08:08 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fall Color 2012

Digitaldog wrote:
Headed to the San Juans the 2nd week of September - Crested Butte, Ouray, and Telluride - right thru the heat of aspen country and hope the report of early color are true. I hope to send reports while there.

Great. I won't be there until the 3rd and 4th week. Leave some leaves for me to shoot!

Sep 02, 2012 at 08:43 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fall Color 2012

You never know what will happen with aspens. However, one thing I have observed is that the schedule of the change rarely changes much at all. What does change is the way the transition progresses once it starts - depending upon weather and other issues. Of course, this year could well be one that proves me wrong!

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:15 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fall Color 2012

garyroach wrote:
You probably already know that the higher elevations turn first then work their way down the mountains. We won't know if the color will be early for another month. Usually the last half of October is the peak time of the year. Last year they were done by the end of October. But, each year is a little different.

Last year was early in the Smokies. This year though we've had plenty of moisture even though it was a hot summer. It's still very humid and warm but that will change by next weekend. Remember, the highest elevations while they do change first, have the least color. Last year places like Graveyard Fields on the BRP hit peak early in the first week of Oct. Usually I would expect peak there around the 12th or so. Last year the color was great but short lived. I'll report back as we get later into Sept.

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:37 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fall Color 2012

Lower elevations of the South San Juans are showing bits of color. There is some gold and some bright red showing now, the oaks are not really going crazy just yet (at 7,000' or so). Looks like the Fall colors might come a bit early this season due to the drought.

Sep 03, 2012 at 10:38 PM
camerausername
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fall Color 2012

Salt Lake City is seeing pockets of color in the small trees and brush at the base of the mountains. I just hiked through some aspens today and they are still green but it looks like they are starting to get ready to change.

Sep 03, 2012 at 11:33 PM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fall Color 2012

Here in Colorado, we've had a very dry summer. The colors are already starting to turn...peak may be a few weeks early.

Dejan

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:51 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fall Color 2012

Here in Florida, the leaves are green. They don't change to a light green until March.

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fall Color 2012

Fall is just starting in the Rockies. Noticed some reds and yellows on shrubs in the 4-5000 foot level last weekend (Sept 2).

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:10 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.