Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of astv99's message #10941593 « Fall Color 2012 »

astv99
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Fall Color 2012

I have a question for any northeasterners: are there any spots near NYC, NJ, or PA (Wilkes-Barre through State College) that will have fall color around mid-November, or will it be gone by then? For example, will Ricketts Glen in PA still have fall color? Would like to know in advance, thanks!

Colorado update:

On my way back home on a trip over the Labor Day weekend, I stopped by Maroon Bells and went over Independence Pass. The only spot with any amount of yellow aspens was at the low-elevation end of Independence Pass, near the intersection with Hwy 24 (at Twin Lakes). Everything else was still 99% green. I\'d say the Aspen area still has about 3 weeks to go maybe.

I didn\'t see much of any color directly along I-70 all the way up to Glenwood Springs either.

However I was surprised to see odd individual trees (or even just branches) every now and then that had already gone completely gold - some around Vail, Maroon Bells, Independence Pass, and Leadville. They stuck out like sore thumbs against the masses of green.

This shot at Maroon Bells was taken on 9/3: (not for C&C, just a snapshot)

I\'ve already tentatively re-adjusted an upcoming trip to the McClure & Kebler Pass area back to starting on 9/23 (from 9/28). Hopefully it\'ll be peak that week. Last year, McClure & Kebler were peak 9/30-10/2 - I\'m banking on them peaking a little earlier this year.

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:28 AM
astv99
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Fall Color 2012

I have a question for any northeasterners: are there any spots near NYC, NJ, or PA (Wilkes-Barre through State College) that will have fall color around mid-November, or will it be gone by then? For example, will Ricketts Glen in PA still have fall color? Would like to know in advance, thanks!

Colorado update:

On my way back home on a trip over the Labor Day weekend, I stopped by Maroon Bells and went over Independence Pass. The only spot with any amount of yellow aspens was at the low-elevation end of Independence Pass, near the intersection with Hwy 24 (at Twin Lakes). Everything else was still 99% green. I\'d say the Aspen area still has about 3 weeks to go maybe.

I didn\'t see much of any color directly along I-70 all the way up to Glenwood Springs either.

However I was surprised to see odd individual trees (or even just branches) every now and then that had already gone completely gold - some around Vail, Maroon Bells, Independence Pass, and Leadville. They stuck out like sore thumbs against the masses of green.

This shot at Maroon Bells was taken on 9/3: (not for C&C, just a snapshot)

I\'ve already tentatively re-adjusted an upcoming trip to the McClure & Kebler Pass area back to starting on 9/23 (from 9/28). Hopefully it\'ll be peak by then. Last year, McClure & Kebler were peak 9/30-10/2 - I\'m banking on them peaking a little earlier this year.

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:18 AM

Previous versions of astv99's message #10941593 « Fall Color 2012 »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.