Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bought: Canon EF 500mm f4L IS or 400mm f4 DO IS or...? (Canada)

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bought: Canon EF 500mm f4L IS or 400mm f4 DO IS or...? (Canada)

Item updated in the last 24 hours    Canon EF 500mm f4L IS or 400mm f4 DO IS or... ?

Bought

Price: $0.00
Payment method: PayPal or EMT
Item condition: 9 Shows signs of use, but very clean
Shipping instructions: Please let me know the cost with shipping to T1S 1X3 in Alberta

Looking to buy a long lens for an upcoming trip in early September. I would prefer an EF 500mm f4L IS, but would also consider a 400mm f4 DO IS for the right price (and I would even consider a 400 f2.8L IS or 600 f4L IS, but it would have to be a smokin' good deal...)

I will only consider lenses from Canada, as I don't want to deal with the hassle and expense of cross-border shipping.

Edited on Aug 20, 2012 at 01:23 PM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:53 AM
herbertgzb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bought: Canon EF 500mm f4L IS or 400mm f4 DO IS or...? (Canada)

I would strongly discourage using a 400 2.8 for wide life during a trip.
I would also discourage 400 DO. 300 2.8 plus teleconverter is a better solution. 400 do is a handholdable lens for sports but it doesn't meet the requirement for birds. If you are shooting hippos you'll be fine, if birds, it doesn't do a lot more than a 400 5.6, per sharpness. It's the only supertele whose sharpness is in the level of a 70-200. Both my personal experience and review from the-digital-pictures would support this conclusion.

for a time, the 400 do is cheaper that the 300 2.8 is. At that moment, it's ok to make a choice of either. Now the 400 do is more expensive. The choice is obvious and unarguable.

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:16 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bought: Canon EF 500mm f4L IS or 400mm f4 DO IS or...? (Canada)

herbertgzb wrote:
I would strongly discourage using a 400 2.8 for wide life during a trip.
I would also discourage 400 DO. 300 2.8 plus teleconverter is a better solution. 400 do is a handholdable lens for sports but it doesn't meet the requirement for birds. If you are shooting hippos you'll be fine, if birds, it doesn't do a lot more than a 400 5.6, per sharpness. It's the only supertele whose sharpness is in the level of a 70-200. Both my personal experience and review from the-digital-pictures would support this conclusion.

for a time, the 400 do is cheaper that the 300
...Show more

Thanks for the advice, but I've owned all of the above lenses and know what my needs are, and the 300 f2.8 is not a consideration.

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:29 AM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.