New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Edrha

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Hi I live in the UK and I'm coming to Boston & NY mid September and would value any advice on lens choice,for carrying in messenger type bag.

I have a 5Dmk3. 24mm f2.8, 17-40 f4, 100 f2 & 70-200 f2.8.

Hoping to visit in NY. Empire State building, Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty,Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, open to any other places of interest. Not forgetting B&H photo.

Ed

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Certainly depends on your shooting style, but the 17-40 was my most used lens on my last trip to NYC. It was a little tight sometimes (but on a 7D). With a full frame body, you should be ok at 17mm, or stitch for when you need wider.
Of course you could still get some closeup stuff with the 70-200 - again depending on your style - but most things you can get closer to, right up on/in, and that is when you'll find yourself shooting wider.

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:36 PM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

If you only want to bring one lens, I'd go for 17-40.

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

I would leave the 24 2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 at home. The 100 f2 is compact enough and fast enough to be worth taking. The 17-40L is perfect. When I went to europe I actually only took my 5D3 with the 17-40L and the 40mm pancake.

Aug 15, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Snoopy Lane

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Given the lenses you have I would definitely go for the 17-40. I recently did my first trip to Manhattan with and brought a 16-35 and 28-105 on a 5D2. Our days worked out so that I knew when leaving the hotel which I would want, so some days were 16-35 only and others were 28-105 only, and that worked out really well. Actually, I brought the 70-200 2.8 with me as well, but never used it.

Aug 15, 2012 at 04:39 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

I live here in NYC... and trust me bring only these two:

Ground zero area is tight. You'll need 17-40mm, and go to Century 21 ( it's next block ) buy some cheapo but good clothes there... if you need one. There's a Pizza place around the block, you can also visit J&R camera store say 4 blocks away... you'll see this if you are going brooklyn bridge

and bring your 70-200mm f/2.8 and don't forget to go to CENTRAL PARK a must.

if you want to scout first the area around liberty, take Staten Island Ferry from White HALL train station, R train to staten island enjoy the free sight seeing for 20 minutes then go back to manhattan... that's another 20 minutes. Again the Staten Island Ferry is FREE.

any more questions about manhattan area... feel free. I can give you some good cheapo itenerary all you need to spend is LUNCH and bottled water.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:08 AM
the888account
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

I'd 100% take the 17-40mm and probably the 70-200mm if you can afford the space.

Be sure to head over to New Jersey for a view on the Manhatten skyline at night. Cant remeber what the ferry cost was, a few $$ only.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:20 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

I'm not to familiar with Boston, but here are a few other NYC must-see spots:
Grand Central Station
Top of the Rock
The Met
MoMA
The Guggenheim
Flatiron Building
The High Line
Times Square

Like everyone else has said, the 17-40 is a must.
The 100f2 would come in handy with people shots, if you're into that sort of thing.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Definitely take the 17-40 as that will probably be your most used lens. If you take another lens, I would say the 70-200 although it might be a bear to lug around. The 100 may serve you better if you want more compressed skyline shots. But the 17-40 is a must.

-Nick

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Edrha wrote:
Hi I live in the UK and I'm coming to Boston & NY mid September and would value any advice on lens choice,for carrying in messenger type bag.

Hoping to visit in NY. Empire State building, Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty,Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, open to any other places of interest. Not forgetting B&H photo.

Ed

As they say, depends on your intentions and your shooting style and your inclination to carry a lot of gear or not. I would probably bring the 70-200 zoom and leave the 100mm f/2 prime at home. As to the 24mm f2.8, only you can say how critical that will be to you when you also duplicate the FL with the 17-40 zoom - I'd lean toward one or the other.

For my own shooting, I would want something to more readily cover the "normal" range. I've used both a 50mm f/2.4 prime and the 24--105mm f/4 zoom in NY. In some ways, the prime might be useful for its larger aperture and small size and light weight.

Some might question the large and heavy tele-zoom, but I found a longer lens to be very useful for many NY subjects.

YMMV.

Dan

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Abhinav Jain
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Go to B&H store and spend a lot of money there. Pound goes further than the $$

Lens recommndations for Boston and NYC
17-40
70-200

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Edrha

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Can I thank you all for lens selection advice & places to visit it has been very helpful I will try to let you know how I get on. So looking forward to seeing the NYC.

I will take the 17-40,100,& 70-200. Would like to bring back a 24-70mkii !!!!!

Ed.

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:50 PM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Edrha check out my website for Boston location ideas, all my work done mostly with the 17-35mm AFS, 24-120RV2 / 24-70G/70-300 VR...if I carry two lenses here it's the 17-35/24-120VR combo.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:39 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Edrha check out my website for Boston location ideas, all my work done mostly with the 17-35mm AFS, 24-120RV2 / 24-70G/70-300 VR...if I carry two lenses here it's the 17-35/24-120VR combo.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Edrha -- I like your choices, excepting the 100/2. It's too close to the f/2.8 of the zoom. If it were me, I'd fill the hole between the zooms with a 50/1.4.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:08 PM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

I also live in the city - if I was doing it? 17-40 and the 70-200 (or even borrow back my 70-200 F4 from my godson) depending. I usually carry the 2.8 trio (16-35,24-70,70-200), and on a crop, the 16-35 is probably the way to go (though with my style, I'd probably carry the 24-70 if forced to go 'one lens')

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:38 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Edrha wrote:
Can I thank you all for lens selection advice & places to visit it has been very helpful I will try to let you know how I get on. So looking forward to seeing the NYC.

I will take the 17-40,100,& 70-200. Would like to bring back a 24-70mkii !!!!!

Ed.

Okay bro let me give you an Idea...i hope others will find this useful. here's how i do it when someone visits me here in NYC.

Initially we always start in Lower manhattan specifically in STATEN Island Ferry Terminal.

1. Take the R train to White Hall subway station, then take Staten Island Ferry round trip back to manhattan.
2. from the Ferry Terminal walk 5 blocks to broadway you'll see the Wall Street BULL some say it's Merril Lynch in the middle of the street... you'll see tourists there hangin around.
3. Two more blocks forward walk to Wall Street
4. On the opposite side visit the TRINITY CHAPEL ( remember the national treasure movie? Nicolas Cage)
5. Walk 5 blocks north then to your left you'll see ground ZERO... it's very obvious you'll see two buildings under construction.
6. Then walk back to the east along ANNE Street go all the way... go to PIER 17 have lunch there you'll see some good photo ops there.
7. Then walk back west to broadway and Visit J&R camera store. it's in front of City hall
8. Take the subway in City hall station then get of at CANAL STREET... go up buy some FAKE stuff... eat little bit of chinese food ( if you're in to this stuff ) and then go to little LITTLE ITALY.
8. then go back to CANAL STreet station. take R Train to 34th street exit the station.
9. Go walk to 32nd street between 5th and 6th ave, look for Pinkberry--- it's a frozen yogurt. try that. ask the Pinkberry Original with toppings.
10. If you are into wings go walk to either of these two BONCHON or KYOCHON (it's korean) highly recommended. it's between 32nd and 33rd street, 5th Avenue. It's next block from pinkberry.
11. Go walk along 5th avenue to 34th street there you'll see the majestic Empire state building, on the same building on street level you'll see Hearthland Brewery have some beers maybe 2 beers.
12. then go walk along 34th street straight to 9th avenue.....There you go VIOLA it's B&H camera store. Buy all of your L lenses.
13. Walk back towards 7th ave. to 33rd street. You'll see madison square garden.
14. walk to towards 5th avenue and 34th street, then walk to (42nd st. and 5th ave ) bryant park take pics there... visit Manhattan Public library.
15. then go walk north along 5th ave to 47th - 50th streets... this you'll see Rockefeller and RADIO CITY hall is next block.
16. along 5th walk all the way north to 59th street, you'll see CENTRAL PARK have your. 70-200mm L ready.
17. after central park walk to 7th avenue or Broadway walk south to 42nd STREET... there take lots of funny pics.. inlcuding the topless woman that walks along 42nd street TIMES SQUARE and the Naked COWBOY you'll see him with guitar.
18. then go to FLAT IRON building 23rd street, 6th avenue, nearby there's a park inside the park you'll see people lining up to get their burgers.... That's SHAKE SHACK burger try it yourself.

plot all of these in google maps so that you know where you're heading.

other places:

--- Brooklyn Bridge you can get there from J&R camera store it's infront of CITY HALL. The bridge is under maintenance right now it's covered... so a photo ops maybe a hassle but you can still walk there.

---- go to Museum of natural history and metropolitan Museum of ART. you will need one day for each museum.

---- visit also Union Square, 14th street, Union square subway station. R train.

---- go to Grand CENTRAL STATION this is a good photo ops too. it's 42nd street and park Avenue. Inside the station relax yourself & go to OYSTER BAR... order sea foods you like or if you want you can have BEER only at the BAR . far right of the restaurant.

Edited on Aug 18, 2012 at 07:56 AM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:40 AM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

great post by bushwhacker - do that!!

(I went out with a 17-40, came home with a 15, 24-70 and a 100 macro, plus a bag and a tripod... )

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:48 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

Edrha wrote:

Ed

Wide and telephoto, 17-40 & 70-200.

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:49 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

bushwacker wrote:
Okay bro let me give you an Idea...i hope others will find this useful. here's how i do it when someone visits me here in NYC.

Initially we always start in Lower manhattan specifically in STATEN Island Ferry Terminal.

1. Take the R train to White Hall subway station, then take Staten Island Ferry round trip back to manhattan.
2. from the Ferry Terminal walk 5 blocks to broadway you'll see the Wall Street BULL some say it's Merril Lynch in the middle of the street... you'll see tourists there hangin around.
3. Two more blocks forward walk to Wall Street
4. On the opposite
...Show more

Man... 20 years near by NY and never saw half of you list yet

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:51 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.