Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Arcs...

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Arcs...

Appreciate your thoughts on repetition of arcs and curves...works? not work?

Regards,

Bob

© Bob Jarman 2012

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:42 AM
oxman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Arcs...

odd crop -- i need to see a ball or something

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:01 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Arcs...

Sorry Bob, I do not see it... Looks like organized chaos...

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:18 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Arcs...

On the plus side, the subject look sharp and well separated from the background. Subject selection/crop seems wanting.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:23 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Arcs...

I think this is one of those shots where you see it much stronger than your viewer because you know what it is ... and you viewer doesn't. Sometimes you have to make it more obvious/clear to your viewer than you might otherwise think is necessary.

To me ... I see the "arc" but it is subtle and I'm not quite sure how you can accentuate the "arc" even more for your viewers. Took a stab at the crop to "square" around the "arc" a bit to strengthen the "arc" contrast.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:35 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Arcs...

oxman wrote:
odd crop -- i need to see a ball or something

@RustyBug improved crop - at literal level, ball would surely help; I was seeing a more abstract level which apparently misses the mark for interest - nothing ventured, nothing gained

Thanks for your looking and comment,

Bob

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Arcs...

oldrattler wrote:
Sorry Bob, I do not see it... Looks like organized chaos...

Jim,

Thanks for looking - organized chaos? - Yes, that would be an accurate impression of rugby

Hope to head to the NW in several weeks, and, more traditional venues.

-Best,

Bob

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:01 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Arcs...

AuntiPode wrote:
On the plus side, the subject look sharp and well separated from the background. Subject selection/crop seems wanting.

@AuntiPode,

Think you've touched 'em all Sometimes I cannot help myself!

Thanks for looking and commenting,

Regards,

Bob

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Arcs...

Bob Jarman wrote:
nothing ventured, nothing gained

+1 ... nothing wrong with a "swing & a miss" once in a while, when you're on your way to "knockin' 'em outa the park"

I think this would be fine, as long as there was another way of establishing context (sans the ball) ... i.e. other pic, part of an article, hanging in the clubhouse, etc.

I also think it works much better if your were to entitle it "Tussle", "Struggle", Fight" (or whatever the appropriate Rugby term would be). With it titled "Tussle" it now makes me wonder what they are 'tussling' over. I can see the uniforms, so even without the ball, I can project some kind of sport, or school attire. Then it becomes an "I wonder" if they are competing ... or are they fighting ... with no ball to give the clue. The facial expression on the background player has a bit of "wonderment" on him as well.

As an abstract @ "arcs" ... maybe a bit too subtle. As a story piece, I think it still works fine ... just play on the "missing ball" via the title.

BTW ... Diggin' the tension in the LLC forehead & forearns.

Edited on Aug 05, 2012 at 02:16 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Arcs...

RustyBug wrote:
I think this is one of those shots where you see it much stronger than your viewer because you know what it is ... and you viewer doesn't. Sometimes you have to make it more obvious/clear to your viewer than you might otherwise think is necessary.

To me ... I see the "arc" but it is subtle and I'm not quite sure how you can accentuate the "arc" even more for your viewers. Took a stab at the crop to "square" around the "arc" a bit to strengthen the "arc" contrast.

@RustyBug,

Crop works and focuses more - debated but let the un-cropped version loose. A little mischief on my part - happy folks stepped up to comment.

Curious if cognitive dissonance isn't at work here also - players define context and expectations overriding abstract - maybe I'm waaayyyy too far out and reaching for a point that does not exist?

Thanks for taking the time to re-work and corral the image.

Regards,

Bob

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:10 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Arcs...

Bob; If our home ever sells we are headed NW... Found this quote and thought it appropriate....
"The question is not what you look at but what you see."
                                                                 Henry David Thoreau
You have a great eye for detail...

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:06 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password