New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Few questions for the amazing FM'ers

Pmarshall

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Few questions for the amazing FM'ers

Hey all, I have 2 questions. First one is i need a logo for my business and i am the least creative person on earth when it comes to that type of stuff. I found a few ideas through google search but all seemed commercial and likely to see the same logo i create somewhere else. Does anyone on here create that type of thing for a fee? Id def be willing to pay someone for their creativity and time. Second, i have just gotten a job to shoot an indian/hindu baby shower, it will be a 2 day event and will consist of 2 shooters doing candid and few set up shots and a 3rd shooter by the door drawing in parties to shoot group shots with a backdrop. My question is, what should i charge for this...better yet, what would everyone else charge for this? Granted i live in MS and usual cost is lower than most states. I was thinking $2500-$3000 but i dont want to undercharge. Thank you so much for any help you may share with me.

Jul 22, 2012 at 01:52 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Few questions for the amazing FM'ers

indian/hindu baby shower, it will be a 2 day event

Baby showers are usually a 2-3 hour event. Are you are talking two, 8 hour days? Is it in their house or at a commercial facility? For me, they would have to invite about 500 people over two days, to warrant a 2nd shooter, and a third shooter is unnecessary. I would price it like a wedding. Tell him your fee, get it in writing upon acceptance, and ask for 50% up front. If you can't shoot candids and groups by yourself you should pass on this job.

BTW: Anybody can shoot candids. It's all about portraits and groups. IMO this whole job sounds fishy unless the baby is the king of something back home.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:51 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Few questions for the amazing FM'ers

Let me first say that I am not a professional event photographer, but as an Indian who has experienced Hindu baby showers, I can tell you that a 2-day event is HIGHLY unusual. Hindu weddings can be 2-3 day events, but a Hindu baby shower is typically just a few hours (anywhere from 2-6 hours depending on how in-depth the religious ceremony is and what other festivities are included).

I would ask for more details of the event, possibly a timeline. Unless the family is a really big deal, I wouldn't expect more than 200-300 people. My wife's baby shower was about 150 and we had exactly one photographer who was able to do portraits and candids. I would encourage you to be clear on expectations and, as borderlight suggested, get it all in writing. We Indians are notorious for last-minute surprises and unplanned special requests.

Good luck and hope it works out for you!

Edited on Jul 23, 2012 at 04:16 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:56 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Few questions for the amazing FM'ers

Weddings can be 2-3 day events

Actually a wedding can be an all day event, but typically 8-10 hours. NEVER more than one day because of guest's schedules and costs. As mitesh said, it is highly unusual, probably unheard of, for a 2 day baby shower for the same reasons; the obvious one is that nobody is going to come back a second day. In the Judeo-Christian culture the invited guests are usually women and time is set aside for gift opening. An Indian baby shower may be a more formal event with families invited, but it will still end in late afternoon, or before midnight if it starts around 7PM.

BTW: A commercial logo is not necessary for a photographer. Your personality and portfolio are the only things that count.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Pmarshall

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Few questions for the amazing FM'ers

Ok so here are some details, not sure how "big of a deal" they are lol but, i know they are flying in 500 guests from where ever they are coming from and 300 local giving 800 total. Day 1 will consist of the religious event starting at 10am and should last roughly a few hours at the place of the ceremony (including guests coming and leaving), then a party consisting of close family for a few hours. Day 2 will be a big party with all 800 guests invited to a huge ballroom roughly 8000 sq ft give or take a bit consisting of many rooms with different decor. Reason i was thinking 3 photographers is because 2 include my business from the start no matter what (wife), and my mother has been a portrait photographer for 28 years so i was thinking of hiring her for the portrait portion which will only cost me at most $300 and dinner ha. They dont want all photos edited, only about 150 or so which isnt a big deal with 2 people doing the editing. Im just not sure my typical 10 hr full day wedding price will be enough.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:50 PM
Pmarshall

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Few questions for the amazing FM'ers

Only reason i was wanting a logo is due to all my business and economic classes say a logo is a mental image people associate things with, either good or bad but none the less an image. We could see golden arches and know its a McDonalds without the words, i know im not McDonalds but theory still stands. Word of mouth has def been the best for me...dunno, still playing with the logo idea....maybe if i saw something that stood out haha. Thanks who all replied to my first post also, i really appreciate it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:55 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Few questions for the amazing FM'ers

Obviously this job IS the exception. When a client has rented 8000 sq. feet of space, and flying in 500 guests, AND feeding... maybe even boarding some of them, it's a big deal. I think you are looking at a couple hundred thousand dollars, easy, for this event not including the photography. For the parents, or the people footing the bill, money doesn't seem to be much of a consideration. If you cut your fee to the bare bone it probably won't impress them. My 2 cents is to go for it. Charge, but be sure that your results will please them. Hire the third person too.... it's part of your expenses, not your fee.

I had a logo when I first started my photo business. At some point I discovered that it really doesn't matter to the client. They either liked you and your pictures or they didn't. Today it's more about a nice web design than a logo. Business and economic classes are focusing more on the identity of a business or corporation with pro logo and a brief slogan, not the artistry of the individual. If you look at the history of the masters of photography, I would venture to guess that not one had a logo.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.