Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

I have just purchased a Lexar USB 3 professional dual slot card reader and Lexar 1000x 32GB CF card. When I try to download photos to my Windows 7 64 bit computer, the computer cannot see the files, it reports there are no files on the card. You can see the directories but no files. The images are still available to see when played back in my camera. The card reader however had no troubles in seeing files on my Sandisk 32GB CF card, although it would only see them on a USB2 port. I have just updated the firmware to the latest lx01 from the Lexar website but it has made no difference. I also have a Lexar USB2 professional dual slot reader and it has the same problem and does not work with the 32GB Lexar 1000x card either, but can read my other 32GB San disk card.

I should note all my portable USB 3 hard drives work without issue on my computer so I do not think it a problem with my computer. I have only had this issue since I tried the Lexar 1000x 32GB card. Computer is Dell XPS 15 with Sandy Bridge.

I've sent a message to support, but won't get an answer for a few days.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM
RoyC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Does Nikon ViewNX2 see the files? It see the files on my Lexar 1000X cards and handles the transfer to my PC.

Free software if you are not using it to transfer files give it a try.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #3 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Just a thought, have you tried plugging the camera directly to your PC? I purchased the new 1000x 128,64 & 32 CF cards and my USB2 port didn't see the files like yours so I ordered the new USB3, while I waited for delivery I would plug in directly to my computer to download, which worked.

My new reader worked out of the box. I run on a mac and there is no USB3 yet the reader works fine.
Could be your reader is bad.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Taoguy wrote:
Just a thought, have you tried plugging the camera directly to your PC? I purchased the new 1000x 128,64 & 32 CF cards and my USB2 port didn't see the files like yours so I ordered the new USB3, while I waited for delivery I would plug in directly to my computer to download, which worked.

My new reader worked out of the box. I run on a mac and there is no USB3 yet the reader works fine.
Could be your reader is bad.

I was going to try that next, but I cannot understand why my new USB 3 reader with the very latest firmware has an issue. I can understand the old USB 2 reader might have an issue.

I think my reader is faulty, but it's strange it can read a 32GB Sandisk Extreme card although only when plugged into a usb 2 port.

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:34 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

RoyC wrote:
Does Nikon ViewNX2 see the files? It see the files on my Lexar 1000X cards and handles the transfer to my PC.

Free software if you are not using it to transfer files give it a try.

If I attach the reader to a USB port, the computer pops up a window saying do I want to download photos, but no software or file-manager can find any files. They all report the card as having no photos. I've tried LR, explorer, downloader pro. I though the reader had actually deleted my photos, but I went and put the card back in my 5D III and they were still there.
What I find bizarre is that the folders can be seen on the card - DCIM/100EOS5D, but they appear empty.

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

You can upgrade the reader with it's latest firmware from the Lexar website. I did that with mine last month

Jul 21, 2012 at 03:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

he has done this
" I have just updated the firmware to the latest lx01 from the Lexar website but it has made no difference."

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Ugh. Is that a UMDA 7 issue or only when the specific Lexar cards are used?

EBH

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I have just purchased a Lexar USB 3 professional dual slot card reader and Lexar 1000x 32GB CF card. When I try to download photos to my Windows 7 64 bit computer, the computer cannot see the files, it reports there are no files on the card. You can see the directories but no files. The images are still available to see when played back in my camera. The card reader however had no troubles in seeing files on my Sandisk 32GB CF card, although it would only see them on a USB2 port. I have just updated the
...Show more

you say that all your usb3 ports are operative. is that at usb3 speeds and they recognize all your usb3 devices as such?

do you have the most updated USB3 drivers installed? sandy bridge did not have USB3 integrated into the chipset yet as does the ivy bridge. so a seperate driver is required. this will be dependent on which xps15 model you have and the usb3 controller
renesas (L502x)
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=7NW89&FileId=2969963657&productCode=xps-15&urlProductCode=False
renesas (L501x)
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=61X2W&FileId=2907012265&productCode=xps-l502x&urlProductCode=False
intel (L521x)
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=2XYWD&FileId=2987885420&productCode=xps-15-l521x&urlProductCode=False

do you have a friend with any good readers that you can try it with. it should not matter as long as it is modern and preferred udma type?

is your sandisk card readable in the usb3 reader?

are you using the original USB3 cable? i had issues with some 3rd party cables as they were supposedly USB3 and would only perform at USB2. there is a difference in qualities unfortunately.

in the mean time download the images if you can from the camera and do a full erase and format in the camera.

Edited on Jul 21, 2012 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

EB-1 wrote:
Ugh. Is that a UMDA 7 issue or only when the specific Lexar cards are used?

EBH

UDMA is backwards compatible though it will only read at the readers capability.

so its either possibly a card reader or card issue if the drivers are good in the computer.

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

I have the same reader and it works with my new Lexar UDMA 7 card.
For me it's rather obvious that the Lexar card reader will work with their own cards

Jul 21, 2012 at 05:13 PM
unknown_photog

p.1 #12 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

I second what sjms says...make sure you have the latest drivers for the USB 3.0 Hub. I know that on my computer it's a separate driver.

Definitely try hooking up just the camera with the card in it to verify it's not the card.

Jul 21, 2012 at 05:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

i agree that is why i put up that other info about the usb3 drivers. i am giving him as much info as i can from this hemisphere

Jul 21, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

Update. I managed to transfer the files successfully via the camera and EOS Utility.

I had installed the latest USB3 host driver from Dell a few weeks ago. I might try the old driver as the new describes an issue I've never had.

I was using the Lexar OEM cable with my USB3 reader. I don't have a another USB 3 cable to try anyway.

I downloaded files from my Sandisk 32GB in the new reader, but I think it only worked when I plugged it into the USB2 port. My old USB2 reader worked with my Sandisk in USB3 or USB2 ports.

I've just reformatted my Lexar card in the camera and will take a few photos and try again.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

have you used you usb3 ports for anything else that is usb3?

Jul 22, 2012 at 01:14 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

sjms wrote:
have you used you usb3 ports for anything else that is usb3?

Yes I have two native 1-1.5TB USB3 external hard drives that work fine and get up to 100MB/s transfer speeds, I have used several USB2 thumb drives that work fine and get 25-30MB/s.

I haven't tried my new card reader and 32GB lexar CF card combo in my PC yet, but that's only USB 2, not that worries me if it can actually read the files.

I still can't understand how I can see the directories on the CF card but not the files?

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM
s23chang
• • •
p.1 #17 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=41646937

Possible defective USB 3.0 reader

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

well after eliminating pretty much all the obvious it looks that s23chang may have the answer

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

I contacted Lexar and they reckon it is the card that is faulty. Note I also have similar problem with my older USB2 Lexar reader with that card.

I'm going to try some different cards tonight in both readers.

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:58 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Lexar usb3 reader and 1000x 32GB CF card issue

then they will resolve it.

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password