Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600...
  
 
James Taylor
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


http://www.pocketwizard.com/upload/photos/677MiniTT1_FlexTT5_Canon_6.104_beta_release_notes.pdf

Anybody tried this yet? Not that you would need it unless you were trig to fire a flash from three football fields out

Just wondering if the RF interference is still a problem.

JT



Jul 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM
cordellwillis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


You do realize that the firmware is only addressing the new Canon flash and transmitter right? The RF issue was fixed (depending on your flash) more than a year ago. There a lots of happy users on here along with lots of people hanging on to old news about the RF issue too...again, that has already been resolve with various options.

~ OR ~

Am I misunderstanding your post?



Jul 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM
James Taylor
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


cordellwillis wrote:
You do realize that the firmware is only addressing the new Canon flash and transmitter right? The RF issue was fixed (depending on your flash) more than a year ago. There a lots of happy users on here along with lots of people hanging on to old news about the RF issue too...again, that has already been resolve with various options.

~ OR ~

Am I misunderstanding your post?


I wouldn't call a "sock" a fix :-) The 430EXII works fine, but my 580EXII with the TT5s was limited to close distances. I love canons new wireless system, but there are times I would want more distance. Just hoping the 600EX is more like the 430 then 580.



Jul 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM
jerrykur
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


James Taylor wrote:
I wouldn't call a "sock" a fix :-) The 430EXII works fine, but my 580EXII with the TT5s was limited to close distances. I love canons new wireless system, but there are times I would want more distance. Just hoping the 600EX is more like the 430 then 580.


Sly Arena said he quit testing the distance for the 600EX at 100 yards. Is this not enough?




Jul 17, 2012 at 08:27 PM
cordellwillis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


James Taylor wrote:
I wouldn't call a "sock" a fix :-) The 430EXII works fine, but my 580EXII with the TT5s was limited to close distances. I love canons new wireless system, but there are times I would want more distance. Just hoping the 600EX is more like the 430 then 580.



It certainly is a fix for the units that need them, because not all Canon flashes need the sock. I've never understood the bitching about placing a sock over a remote flash either You place it on there, leave it alone to do your job.

The 550EX works perfect at great distances. Besides why spend extra money on a newer flash that does the same thing in a remote location? I currently use 4 550EX units and love them for it.



Jul 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



James Taylor
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


cordellwillis wrote:
It certainly is a fix for the units that need them, because not all Canon flashes need the sock. I've never understood the bitching about placing a sock over a remote flash either You place it on there, leave it alone to do your job.

The 550EX works perfect at great distances. Besides why spend extra money on a newer flash that does the same thing in a remote location? I currently use 4 550EX units and love them for it.


I guess I'm missing something? I was using the 5DMKII with two 580EXIIs & TT5s. Used for outside portraits every week. I use the flash in manual and high sped sync. With the sock I would have to remove it every time I needed to adjust my manual settings? This happens a lot as I move around to different locations. Is that how you are using the sock? You don't find this cumbersome?



Jul 20, 2012 at 04:54 PM
cordellwillis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


James Taylor wrote:
I guess I'm missing something? I was using the 5DMKII with two 580EXIIs & TT5s. Used for outside portraits every week. I use the flash in manual and high sped sync. With the sock I would have to remove it every time I needed to adjust my manual settings? This happens a lot as I move around to different locations. Is that how you are using the sock? You don't find this cumbersome?



If you have either a AC3 or on camera Master flash you do not have to touch the Slave flashes other than to move them to a different location or pack up and go home. Making slave flash setting changes from camera is one of the major points of PW ControlTL system. I believe you're wasting money on these expensive wireless units if you are not controlling from camera....otherwise any much less expensive units can already do what you are doing with them (walking over and making manual changes).

This is what I have when using a very simple setup:

On camera: 1 TT5 Flex, OR 1 TT1, Mini. To control slave flashes (manual or ETTL) I also have an AC3 on top of the Flex or Mini
Remote flash (slave): is attached to a TT5. If your flash requires the sock simply place it on there with the shoe part that goes along with it.

*** with the above I never have to touch the remote flash again because the power settings are adjusted with the AC3 *** As I previously mentioned I purchased used 550EX flashes and they work fine without the sock and have 99% of the power of a 580EX I and II.



Jul 23, 2012 at 06:08 PM
James Taylor
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


cordellwillis wrote:
If you have either a AC3 or on camera Master flash you do not have to touch the Slave flashes other than to move them to a different location or pack up and go home. Making slave flash setting changes from camera is one of the major points of PW ControlTL system. I believe you're wasting money on these expensive wireless units if you are not controlling from camera....otherwise any much less expensive units can already do what you are doing with them (walking over and making manual changes).

This is what I have when using a very simple setup:

On camera:
...Show more

Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping I was doing something wrong, but it looks like maybe you aren't seeing the same issues because you are using the 550EX? I don't see using a sock or buying more accessories as a fix to the issue. And again, please understand I am not putting all blame on PocketWizard, my issues have been more to do with the RF interference from the 580EXII. A friend of sent his in to be modified and they are working MUCH better. I'm just tired of spending more money to try and get this setup working.

"I believe you're wasting money on these expensive wireless units if you are not controlling from camera"

I don't need to control from the camera. What I need is to be able to shoot in manual at 1/8000 shutter speed. The TT5 will do high-speed sync in manual. That's why I went in that direction. The only other game in town when I purchased the PocketWizard was RadioPopper.

The nice thing is now we have more choices. And to be honest, the new Canon 600EX-RT is amazing at it's intended range. The darn thing just WANTS to work in wireless mode



Jul 26, 2012 at 02:50 PM
cordellwillis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


Yes, I am sooooo thrilled that we have several options these days. Before RP decided to invent the radio controlled TTL system I was dreaming of having that option. Now we have a handful. Though not everyone is taking their time to understand the quirks about it. I see it as advancements and I can work around the issues. Life goes on

I believe I've spent less money than many users because I actually read about the issues before moving forward. Some people feel the need for the latest and greatest (580EXII at the time) even though it gave them nothing over the 550EX (for remote purposes).

The cover comes with the TT5 so you wouldn't spend any additional money. It doesn't really make sense to me to send a 580EXII in for the RF modification when the 550EX was available to purchase used; I've purchased several from KEH for $165 each. With a flash sitting in a remote area I prefer it to be something cheap anyway; why have an expensive flash sitting on a stand when at some point someone will knock it over

Lastly, 1/8000 is great to have only if you have a few/couple of flashes to make up for the loss of light with the increased shutter speeds. This is another reason I decided on less expensive 550EX flashes over multiple 580EX I, II, or even the 600EX-RT. I have 4 of these flashes and an AlienBee 1600. There is no way I can justify 4 600EX-RTs. The 550EX and the AB can be controlled with the PW ControlTL system, whereas the 600EX can only control itself....when I need more power the AB kicks in.



Jul 26, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Cphoto1954
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anybody Tried The New PocketWizard TT5 Beta for Canon 600-EXRT Flash?


I have five TT5 units which I purchased when they first came out. I went through some of the bumps along the way with firmware upgrades. At this point I could not be happier - they work great, and I'm using 430EXii and an a 580EXi units.

What I like, and doubt even Canons new 600EX offers, is the bump in power efficency over the stardard HSS. See this LINK

Plus the better rear curtain sync. See this LINK

I use a Canon 5D2.





Jul 26, 2012 at 07:56 PM





FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password