Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #506 Overtaking

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #506 Overtaking

I spent this weekend at the race track...shooting a little Motorsports...I have not gone through all 5000 images yet, but I knew I liked this one after I shot it...if I find one I like better I might replace it, but for now, I like this one. Thanks for looking, good luck to all this week.

Overtaking

Canon EOS 7D    14mm    f/25.0    1/25s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jun 18, 2012 at 01:07 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #506 Overtaking

I like it too travis. I feel a brotherly connection amongst another slow shutter enthusiast. Nice job at 1/25th.

Jun 18, 2012 at 06:17 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #506 Overtaking

mark fadely wrote:
I like it too travis. I feel a brotherly connection amongst another slow shutter enthusiast. Nice job at 1/25th.

Thanks Mark...I love trying to push myself on slow speed shots...its hard when the subject is probably going 125-130 MPH! I think that slow speed like this is a real labor of love, you have to love the results to put in the time to learn to do it...it took me years, and I am still not always successful.

Jun 18, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Hightraxx
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #506 Overtaking

Nice shot Travis, I never done a shot like that for racing, I'm so use to using a 400mm lens at all servo and panning using a 250 shutter speed to get the shot I want. Have to try that the next time, and see how it comes out.

Norm

Jun 18, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #506 Overtaking

Sharp subjects while panning is nothing short of a miracle in my book;
Great work, here, Travis...
Jerry

Jun 18, 2012 at 09:46 PM
BertoBuckeye
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #506 Overtaking

Do you have a technique you are willing to share? I hear some folks using a washer with a fishing line. You step on the washer and attach the fishing line to the bottom of the camera at you standing height.

So then you pan with tension on the string to help stabilize.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #506 Overtaking

Travis, great capture ... and well done too.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #506 Overtaking

Hightraxx wrote:
Nice shot Travis, I never done a shot like that for racing, I'm so use to using a 400mm lens at all servo and panning using a 250 shutter speed to get the shot I want. Have to try that the next time, and see how it comes out.

Norm

Thanks Norm. I don't do much panning with the 400, the 400 f/5.6L one I have access to is not real fast to focus, and that length is awkward for me to hand hold, and I hate to use a monopod for anything other than steadying a camera. I do a lot of slightly faster stuff, safer, more keepers, and make sure I get those for clients before trying to have fun like this one.

Give the slower speeds a try next time out...there will be a lot of tossers, but over time you will notice better images. I think it is the best way to really convey the sense of speed.

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:25 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #506 Overtaking

Tenn.Jer wrote:
Sharp subjects while panning is nothing short of a miracle in my book;
Great work, here, Travis...
Jerry

It took a lot of practice, and a lot of really bad pictures Jerry...thanks for the kind words, I really do appreciate it. I have put a lot of hard work in to the art of motorsports shooting and it is paying off these days.

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #506 Overtaking

BertoBuckeye wrote:
Do you have a technique you are willing to share? I hear some folks using a washer with a fishing line. You step on the washer and attach the fishing line to the bottom of the camera at you standing height.

So then you pan with tension on the string to help stabilize.

Practice, knowing where the cars will be going, what they are going to do and practice practice practice. I don't use a monopod, everyone says you need to, I can't do it, my keeper rate went in the can...I don't use the method that you described, but I have heard it...I don't' want to rely on tricks, I want my fundamentals to be strong...you can't do that trick standing on a 12 foot ladder...and I do sometimes stand on a 12 foot ladder...was on an 8 footer this weekend...in the trees! I simply hand hold, and pan with the car, unwinding my body in the direction to pan and fire when I need to and if I know the right spot, I will square up to that, and twist in the direction the car will come from so that I unwind as I pan, which is less stress and easier to do smoothly.

If you really want to learn panning, there is a great read by a guy who many, me included, is considered one of the best motorsports shooters around, John Thawley. The article on his blog-->The Pan Shot by John Thawley I read that one about 4 times when he first posted it, and my panning shots got better the next time out.

Edited on Jun 19, 2012 at 01:34 AM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:32 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #506 Overtaking

Tom Harpstead wrote:
Travis, great capture ... and well done too.

Thanks Tom.

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:32 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #506 Overtaking

Nice catch Travis. I have been too busy to do much shooting but am enjoying looking through the entries this week. Lots of good stuff.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #506 Overtaking

twistedlim wrote:
Nice catch Travis. I have been too busy to do much shooting but am enjoying looking through the entries this week. Lots of good stuff.

Thanks Rich. I know the feeling...unless the next few assignments are subjects that don't require too much setup or planning, I likely wont' have an entry for a couple weeks...

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM
ts232
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #506 Overtaking

Great shot Travis. What I like about this, in addition to the overall panning, is the speed differential between the cars. The difference in motion blur between them gives a good feel for the overtaking maneuver.

Jun 19, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #506 Overtaking

ts232 wrote:
Great shot Travis. What I like about this, in addition to the overall panning, is the speed differential between the cars. The difference in motion blur between them gives a good feel for the overtaking maneuver.

Thanks Alan, glad the overtaking comes through in that way for you...that was the goal!

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM
robert829
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #506 Overtaking

You picked the right one travis nice one here

Jun 20, 2012 at 09:09 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #506 Overtaking

robert829 wrote:
You picked the right one travis nice one here

Thanks Robert. I won't be changing it, I have not come across anything that I really want to replace it with, so it will stay.

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password