Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

joxang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

Just picked up this lens, cosmetically, everything about it appears to be in perfect condition. Adapted for use on a 5D and the out of camera results are stunning! Contrasty, amazing colours, I'm very pleasantly surprised for the cost . Photos in next post.

Only problem is that the aperture ring is a bit stiff. The iris blades are fine, no sticking or anything, but turning the ring there is an uneven amount of stiffness and a bit of 'wobble' between clicks. Does anyone know if this is this normal for old Contax Zeiss lenses, or whether this might be something I or a repairman could fix? Will post some pics from the lens after I shoot some more later today .

Edited on May 26, 2012 at 01:08 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2012 at 09:42 AM
joxang
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

I've never used a Zeiss lens, and the colours and contrast out of camera are everything I've heard and more. Simply breathtaking compared to other manual lenses I've used, and the Canon 50mm 1.8. In case anyone's interested in this lens, here's a few test images from Canon 5D - never done this before so tell me if there's anything wrong with the set-up .
All images are out-of-camera default RAW, converted to jpeg in Photoshop.

100%@
f1.7
f2.8
f4
f5.6
f8
f11
Overall I agree with the sharpness summary of this lens on this page.

Shot these just now, again all default RAW settings straight out of camera. At f2.8, sharpness corner to corner is excellent imo. Easy to focus on stock 5D screen, really nice DoF effect.

At f1.7, edges and corners are not so sharp, but this results in a pleasing smudged DoF effect. There's a degree of vignetting, but flare is really well controlled. The lens is very hard to focus well on the stock screen at 1.7, with the DoF being extremely shallow on the 5D.

May 26, 2012 at 01:04 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

Congrats with the lens.
Regarding the aperture ring stiffness: my Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and 100/2.8 all have very smooth aperture clicks. I don't know what could be wrong with yours. Might be fixable though.

I recommend getting the Ee-S screen for your 5D. It definitely makes focusing easier at wide apertures and gives a more accurate view of the DOF.

May 26, 2012 at 02:56 PM
lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

I had a Contax Planar 50/1.7 for about 4 months, then upgraded to the 50/1.4. Both lenses have very smooth aperture rings and solid build. They are fantastic lenses aren't they?!

Attached is a RAW conversion direct to a small jpeg, then slightly cropped to fit with FM file size demands. No sharpening, just processed with Capture One high contrast setting.

I have yet to learn how best to successively resize and sharpen, so this is probably a 'sledgehammer on a nut' attempt.

CZ 50/1.4 at about f5.6, ISO200, 5D Mk III - 1st shot taken with this camera.

May 26, 2012 at 03:19 PM
joxang
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

^Great photo! Thanks for the info guys.

EE-s is in the post . Is it usable at f4 and f5.6? With the lenses I have I don't think I'll be going higher than that, but will probably be using them. I've arranged to send the lens off to Eddie Houston at thelensdoctor.co.uk. A friend recommended him and I want to see if I can get a fluid aperture installed. Definitely something wrong with the aperture ring as is...between f8 and f16 it's totally smooth but any bigger than that I have to push really hard on the ring.

I'm afraid that a zeiss lens addiction is incoming...

May 26, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

The 1.4 and the 1.7 are very different lenses IMO. The 1.4 is like a standard "Zeiss Class" CZ if there is such a thing. The 1.7 is more unique than other CZ models I've used. And with that uniqueness comes some up and some down sides. I like both but they're pretty different!

May 26, 2012 at 05:15 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

joxang wrote:
I'm afraid that a zeiss lens addiction is incoming...

The nice thing about the Contax line is that it has some quite affordable models, such as the the 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 85/2.8, 100/3.5 and 80-200/4 (and the 50/1.7 of course).

About usability of smaller apertures with the Ee-S: I usually shoot landscapes at f/8 but compose and focus at f/2.8 or so. It's my habit to stop down only at the last moment (or at least after focusing). The screen gets pretty dark at small apertures.

May 26, 2012 at 06:59 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

joxang wrote:
^Great photo! Thanks for the info guys.

EE-s is in the post . Is it usable at f4 and f5.6? With the lenses I have I don't think I'll be going higher than that, but will probably be using them. I've arranged to send the lens off to Eddie Houston at thelensdoctor.co.uk. A friend recommended him and I want to see if I can get a fluid aperture installed. Definitely something wrong with the aperture ring as is...between f8 and f16 it's totally smooth but any bigger than that I have to push really hard on the ring.

I'm afraid that
...Show more

Re-reading my post, I realise that it may have come across as chest-puffing re a new camera and 50/1.4. What I want to clarify is that I was immediately super-impressed by the 50/1.7 and in fact should have held onto it! I did however manage to get the 1.4 at a very good price and I was also able to sell the 50/1.7 to a friend and start him on his alt lens journey ( he is off and sprinting!).

BTW, I found your aperture tests and other link really useful. Will PM you with some similar tests I did on the 50/1.7.

I had an Ee-S screen fitted to my previous 1D Mk III and found it helped quite a bit. I tended to focus wide open then stop down to the chosen aperture and didn't find any focus-shift problems. I did find that the Contax lenses in particular would require 1-2EV compensation to avoid over-exposure on typical scenes.

Re Eddie Houston - I did not buy from him but yes, I have had some good correspondence with him and find the contents and testimonials on his site compelling. The fact that he is UK based cuts down on postage charges for you! Good luck!

May 26, 2012 at 09:54 PM
joxang
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

lenticular11 wrote:
Re-reading my post, I realise that it may have come across as chest-puffing re a new camera and 50/1.4.

Not at all .

lenticular11 wrote:
What I want to clarify is that I was immediately super-impressed by the 50/1.7 and in fact should have held onto it! I did however manage to get the 1.4 at a very good price and I was also able to sell the 50/1.7 to a friend and start him on his alt lens journey ( he is off and sprinting!).

BTW, I found your aperture tests and other link really useful. Will PM you with some similar tests I did on the 50/1.7.

I had an Ee-S screen fitted to my previous 1D Mk III and found it helped quite a
...Show more

Yeh, took me a while to decide between the 1.4 and the 1.7, but I looked at a few tests and thought the price difference didn't justify the extra aperture and the slight (so I've been told) sharpness increase. Looking forwards to trying out the EE-s. I was shooting with an x100 until a week ago, the change to 5D + manual was a desire to move back towards the experience I used to have shooting 35mm - stopping down after composition sounds like a good compromise. Thanks .

PS: I have noticed the overexposure actually (e.g. photos in 2nd post), a bit of compensation sounds like a good idea.

May 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bluetsunami
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

The 50/1.7 is a very fantastic lens. Its rendition in regards to each aperture feels balanced. It has to easily outresolve modern sensors when stopped down. The only reason why I'd get the f/1.4 bigger brother is for the bump in build quality (at the cost of weight and size) and it tends to look more glowy wide open versus the f/1.7. I count this as a positive since I like the look with portraiture.

May 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

Awesome lens...

5d, f/2....
http://brownphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-4Q5PBBr/0/XL/i-4Q5PBBr-XL.jpg

NEX 5N, f/2....
http://brownphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Acadia/i-9BHM26d/0/XL/DSC05763-12-XL.jpg

May 27, 2012 at 01:40 AM
joxang
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

Please forgive the extra images, but I continue to be wowed . All default RAW.

Here is f2.8 at minimum focusing distance (60cm) on the dragonfly.
http://images.krop.com/jzphoto-4fc234c910d6e0f.jpg

And here is 100% crop.
http://images.krop.com/jzphoto-4fc2349e10d6e0a.jpg

May 27, 2012 at 02:09 PM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

I missed my 50/1.7. The busy bokeh is distracting but plenty of pop in this lens. They are going for too much nowadays so I added a couple hundreds and got the ZS.

Jun 03, 2012 at 06:05 AM
Panchoskywalke

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

Does anybody knows if the 50mm 1.7 can work automaticly on a canon 5dII in Av mode?

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:08 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

It cannot. Stop-down only.

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:29 PM
Cadaver
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

This is an amazing lens for under $200.00.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D + Zeiss 50mm 1.7 testing (pics update)

Panchoskywalke wrote:
Does anybody knows if the 50mm 1.7 can work automaticly on a canon 5dII in Av mode?

If you mean will it perform automatic exposure by adjusting the shutter speed, based on the aperture that you have manually stopped down to prior to taking the picture ... it should. That's the way I shoot all my manual glass on my 5D, 1D MK II, 1D MK II N and Kodak SLR/C (if I'm not shooting full manual exposure control). I see no reason why the 5DII would be any different.

The camera does not have the ability to control the aperture of the lens, but it can still make an evaluation of the amount of light coming into the sensor and render a corresponding shutter adjustment when in Av mode ... i.e. it won't try to change the aperture (which of course, it can't).

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:55 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password