Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

UsseryG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

Alright, I figured it out. Thanks everyone!

Edited on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2012 at 06:52 PM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

You need a better target - you think you know where the focus is here, but you REALLY don't. And I don't either.

I just fine tuned all of my lenses today on the D7K, they range in needs from -2 to -20, so my D7K definitely has a back-focusing issue.

However, with all of them tuned, the AF is very accurate - in fact most of the time I can't do any better in live view.

Since they're all within the range of adjustment, I'm not concerned about the body since it's out of warranty and everything works 100% now - it would be a waste of time and $ for me to send it in.

This is why the mfr.'s include the feature, because they know it's needed - but you need to be systematic about it and get repeatable results to get it right. I wouldn't be concerned at all if your body/lens combo back or front focuses - as long as it's within the range of adjustment and it's consistent, they have already given you the tools to fix it.

I built a 16x20 stiff cardboard target, covered it with a "bar code" of black duct tape strips in different widths, placed it on the lawn, and took test shots at realistic distances and good shutter speeds, wide open and on a monopod, estimating sensor plane parallel to target, re-AF'd for each shot, then pixel peeped at 100% on my big monitor to see what adjustment I might need, looking for the blades of grass in the plane of the target to be in focus.

Today I received a used lens align tool and did it the 'right' way, ensuring dead on alignment of the target and recommended distances for each lens with a tape measure between two tripods.

Turns out my homemade method worked just as well, it just took a bit longer to get there

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:00 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

Well, then is this picture sharp? This is the 1:1 crop.

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:17 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

What lens is this and what aperture? It looks reasonably sharp and I would guess focus point between the 2nd and 3rd "E" - but using a fast lens wide open will tell you pretty quick if you have a back/front focusing issue. Keep in mind D300/D7000 crop 100% are not the same thing at all due to the higher MP of the D7K

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:24 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

Yup, I realize the pixel difference.

This is with a 60mm 2.8G wide open, 100 ISO, on a tripod, tripped with the timer.

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:29 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

We need to see where the focus point is.When testing you need to use the largest aperture also.I presume you used single point and not any other focus mode also. My 300 f4 is a plus 15 and it is spot on.Even with live view micro focusing I do not get sharper.Looks like the focus was on the 4th E.If not then tune it in Doug

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:37 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

I wouldn't play with the adjustment unless you verify repeatable error using single point AF in a controlled situation.

I found very repeatable error in a wide range (-2 to -20) depending on what lens I was using - which makes me skeptical of the folks that say, "send the body back and make sure they get it right" - seems to me they would only be able to "get it right" if all of your lenses were requiring approximately the same fine tuning on that body. Otherwise you'd have to send in all of the lenses too at the same time.

I'm not thrilled about the -20 required by my 200 f2 but that does the trick, so everything is within range of adjustment and I'll just keep shooting for now. The D7K is a lot of bang for the buck.

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

I'd look into getting a Lens Align or similar proper target. You should check focus approximately at the main distance of use and preferably with the same light source. Specifically, I've seen differing results at close distances indoors with fluorescent lights as compared to outdoors in sunlight.

EBH

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:40 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does my D7000 Back/ Front Focus?

www.focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.