Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

I was going through older files today while putting together a new portfolio and was surprised when I came across some shots from my old Canon 1D mkII.

It's probably been about 3 years since I owned it, but to date it's been the only camera I've actually missed. Even after putting some serious miles on my D3 (and D700, and 5D2, and 7D, and 5D), I can genuinely say that the 1D2 is still my all time favorite. It was just a blast to use. As a side note, I loved the 50mm focal length on the 1.3 crop. I have no clue why as it's such a weird one (65), but I've never like 50 on full frame. Weird.

Anyways, it's pretty impressive what modern software will do. Below is a web size and 100% crop of an ISO 1600 1D2 file, and below that is an ISO 1600 shot from my D3. Both shots are processed through Lightroom 3 with some quick and dirty noise reduction (maybe 1-2 minutes processing time). The D3 is clearly better, but I thought it'd be even more noticeable. Of course, things change dramatically once you go above 1600...

Maybe it's just my rush-job processing

I guess there's probably not much of a point in comparing an 8 year old camera to a 4 year old camera, especially with the impending 1DX and D4, but just thought I'd bore you guys with my late night discoveries

1D2:

D3:

100% crops:

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:14 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

Sorry about the crappy PNG screenshots.

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:16 AM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

You know, that is pretty remarkable. There is maybe a little bit of a difference, but nothing huge by any stretch of the imagination.

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:23 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

Most new cam are over-rated 1D2 series is the best canon ever made. I love their low iso file better than any new one i have owned.

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:32 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

love my Mk2n....

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:52 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #6 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

I love my 1d2 and 1d3. Shame on me not using 1d2 at all due to my new year's project "one photo a day of my daughter with 1d classic"... love all 1D cameras... but 1D classic is my current favorite.

since you brought this subject up, I think Im going to leave my 1d3 home this weekend and head out with 1d2 for some motor sports.

Feb 05, 2012 at 01:04 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

The NR software in LR3 is one of the things that has kept me very happy with my 1Ds2 and its (less than stellar) high ISO performance, especially compared to todays technology

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:18 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

mike, check out the 1ds2. i'm still rockin that at weddings.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:19 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

I currently have the 1DII also, and don't really have any intention of letting it go anytime soon. It's files and those that came from my 1DsII seemed to have the most processing latitude from any of the other camera's I've had. I've never shot for keeps a 1DIII/DsIII/DIV, so I can't compare against those, but I keep seeing this same topic arise again and again, and just wanted to add my $.02 in there...

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:38 PM
docnlaw24
• • •
p.1 #10 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

digitalbug30d wrote:
love my Mk2n....

+1

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Depp
• •
p.1 #11 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

Picked up a 1Ds3 last fall and the 1D4 the winter of 2010...but the cameras I have with me no matter what are the 1D2,1D2n and the 1Ds2...and take more shots with the 1D2 and 1D2n then any of my other bodies for regular shooting,because of the smaller file size which still deliver great images.

Cropped JPEG's from the 1D2n Thursday at work...

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:59 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

I haven't wanted to let go of my 1D2n, which was supposed to be a stop gap until I replaced my stolen 1D3.

I just bought the 85/1.8 and while the images on 5D2 look very good, the 1D2n images pop with that lens. Big, fat, old pixels - love 'em.

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

I've been doing some comparisons the last few days, using the same lenses on two 1D2's and one 1Ds2 (50/2.5 Macro and 100L). The point of my exercise is to equalize white balance between the bodies.

I shot all images in RAW at ISO 200, and for the same subject magnification, the photos looked essentially the same, meaning it was almost impossible to tell which was shot with 8MP and which was shot at 16MP. I thought that was pretty remarkable for 100% details. Color, details, edge sharpness -- all were pretty equal. Granted, the 1Ds2 images were more magnified and overall have better detail, but still, when cropped to same subject size, very little gained with the 1Ds2. (The images were only imported to LR with the native settings.)

I certainly prefer the 1D2 over the 5D when the whole package of controls and build quality is considered. The 8MP images aren't far behind the 5D's near-13MP, especially for people, events and general activites. Only detailed techical subjects (products, architecture, landscape) have a big benefit from the higher MP full frame bodies. So I use the 1D2 whenever I can.

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:44 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

Gunzorro wrote:
I've been doing some comparisons the last few days, using the same lenses on two 1D2's and one 1Ds2 (50/2.5 Macro and 100L). The point of my exercise is to equalize white balance between the bodies.

I shot all images in RAW at ISO 200, and for the same subject magnification, the photos looked essentially the same, meaning it was almost impossible to tell which was shot with 8MP and which was shot at 16MP. I thought that was pretty remarkable for 100% details. Color, details, edge sharpness -- all were pretty equal. Granted, the 1Ds2 images were more magnified
...Show more

There should probably be more comparison threads with photos and crops on this forum, just to remind people that the higher MP lust is somewhat misplaced.

Long live the 1DII(n)!

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #15 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

Even at home where I could easily use one of my higher MP bodies...quite often just grab a 1D2 or the 1D2n which I put on a side table in the dining room when I come home from work,because they are close at hand...shot through one of the picture windows in the dining room(the window wasn't spotless at the time,it needed to be cleaned...oh well,may as well take the shot,rather then no shot at all).

1D2n @ 800 ISO

cropped

Another through a dirty window shot @ 200 ISO

cropped

Edited on May 05, 2012 at 05:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2012 at 06:08 PM
ananda

p.1 #16 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

Shot of my daughter during her hockey game. Extremely poor lighting conditions ISO 1600 with some noise reduction in LR3.

Feb 05, 2012 at 06:38 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

Haha yeah, impressive stuff folks.

Like I said, anything above ISO 1600 and the D3 just stomps it (duh), but it makes me smile to think that I could do 90% of my photo journalism work with a $800ish setup - just the 1D2 and 50 1.8.

Chuck - I almost did scoop up a 1Ds2, but by that point I had just decided to switch over entirely to Nikon. No regrets on my move, just a little sentimentalism for my first pro body

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:01 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

Also, I think it's worth mentioning how abused mine was. The thing was beat to crap before I even got it, then I beat it up some more, then I eventually ended up selling it for $100 more than I paid for it about a year and a half later.

Never had to get it repaired/cleaned/anything.

Lenses weren't so lucky

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:11 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #19 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

galenapass wrote:
....just to remind people that the higher MP lust is somewhat misplaced.

Long live the 1DII(n)!

Word...

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:12 PM
NygaardDK

p.1 #20 · Love the 1D2 (comparison with D3)

I have the 1D2N as well - i prefer the IQ of my 5D1 over this one by a notch, but my 1D is the camera I tend to use the most lately, I just love the whole package!

Just a random pic from this evening - my 15 month old son shot at ISO 1000 + flash. Slightly cropped, adjusted and noisereduced a bit in LR3:

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N    105mm    f/2.8    1/100s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password