Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

jseno327
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

So I'm looking for a compact digital camera that could produce good quality pictures. I dont have any experience with either of these cameras. So which one would you recommend? Save money a little bit of money and get G11 or get the newest G12? Thanks!

Feb 05, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

What is your history with photography and what are your expectations with this compact camera? Either is fine for what it is, but then so are many others. Both of these have the same sensor, I think, so there are a few feature differences which might be important to you.

I have a G10 which I like, but I'm waiting on reviews of the G1X to see if its IQ is significantly better. But that's me. Give us some details on you and we may be able to express more opinions. Cheers.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:06 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

I'm with Jeff -- I have a G10 and eventually buying the new G1X. The G10 has even more MP than the G11 or G12, and takes pretty good pictures. You can find it a little cheaper on the used market. Mine was a steal with a few mild marks on the outer LCD screen. G9 is also very good, as is the smaller S90 and S95 -- all shoot RAW.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:20 AM
jseno327
• •
p.1 #4 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

I just do photography as a hobby. I sold my gear to fund my honeymoon but Im looking for something inexpensive... and by inexpensive I mean around $300. I'm going to be going to New York for my honeymoon so I'm mostly buying this camera for that. I'm looking for something that can produce something usable with high ISO... something decent in the dark. I don't expect any of these to produce something like a 5d2 high ISO picture would but hoping for something decent.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:27 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

Give some thought to the Canon S100.

Much smaller and produces wonderful images.

Lot of bang for the buck.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:30 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

I'd look at all alternatives out there. There is no reason to just limit yourself to Canon P&S. There is zero benefits if you own canon DSLR systems to choose a Canon p&s.

I just got myself a Fuji x100 and it is simply amazing. I previously had a s95, and now that s95 is at the bottom of some drawer...honestly don't even know where it is.

I recommend you look at all options before choosing a p&s.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:48 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

To all of us, the camera we bought is the best choice - but it might not be for you. If you like Canon, checkout the Canon refurb store as well as places like Craigslist.

I bought my wife a G11, I also bought a S90. We both hated the S90, mostly because our fingers were too large to be able to operate the buttons and controls. So, just because I have a favorite does not mean you will like it at all.

Also, when you give a $300 budget and someone suggests a $1200 Fuji X100, thats really helpful.

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:31 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

scalesusa wrote:
To all of us, the camera we bought is the best choice - but it might not be for you. If you like Canon, checkout the Canon refurb store as well as places like Craigslist.

I bought my wife a G11, I also bought a S90. We both hated the S90, mostly because our fingers were too large to be able to operate the buttons and controls. So, just because I have a favorite does not mean you will like it at all.

Also, when you give a $300 budget and someone suggests a $1200 Fuji X100, thats really helpful.

I am not suggesting the x100 for the OP. What I am doing is trying to expand the vision rather than having Canon blinders on. We don't owe anything to Canon and it just makes sense to look at everything that is out there.

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:45 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

Chez -- Well, you basically went off a cliff as far as the thread goes.

OP -- Yes, take a look on eBay and Craigslist for an S95 or G9-10. You should be able to find one around $300. The G11 and G12 might be more. The S100 is new, so you'll likely pay full price, over $400. The S100 is pretty awesome in low light.

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:25 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

Gunzorro wrote:
I'm with Jeff -- I have a G10 and eventually buying the new G1X.

the new G1X with the larger sensor looks good but priced a lot more - $800

Feb 05, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

There should be some remaining s95 stock at bargain prices. Same sensor as the G12 plus a faster lens and smaller package.

Feb 05, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #12 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

jseno327 wrote:
...around $300. ... usable with high ISO... something decent in the dark.

I wouldn't expect to be able to do both. Daan's S95 suggestion is probably best as, AFIK, it has the largest sensor in the P&S range. The G series have some nice manual controls but are bulkier with the same sensor. The G1X will be better in the high ISO department but isn't available yet and will bust your budget big time.

If your budget is somewhat flexible and bulk is not a problem but higher ISO is, you might look for a used recent Rebel with kit lens of the SX vintage.

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:52 PM
pops
• •
p.1 #13 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

Amazingly not one response to the original question, I don't have either camera so I would say to the best thing to do is ask again and ask only for answers to your post. Pops

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:05 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

I have a G11 and low light performance is great for a compact. I'll post some shots later this evening. If you learn to live with the G11's limitations great results can be acheived.

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:13 PM
JohnLL
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

S95 also has a "candlelight" mode that does pretty well at ISO 6400 with pixel binning - this mode is JPEG only snf reduces MP to about 2.5, but that's enough for 4x6s. maybe 5x7s.

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:25 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #16 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

I am a great fan of the G10; I tested the G11 and G12 when they arrived on the scene...and stayed with the G10.

Whether it is good for you will depend on what you want. Above ISO200 noise will be a factor....but I shoot up to 1600 with no problem......the reason being I shoot raw only, convert in LR3 (the raw converter makes a big difference), and convert to B+W...my main interest. That will give an excellent A3 print which looks as if it came from a fine grain B+W film...which is what I want.

The camera will give a good colour print up to A3 at ISO200...and if the image is downsized to A4.....about ISO 400 is fine....some people would be happy at 800 probably. It is worth remembering that the Canon (with a separate attachment) can take conventional filters including the Cokin type holders...useful for landscape work.

Within those parameters ii is a very decent camera.....solid, fits in a jacket pocket, reasonable zoom range with an effective IS built in....and as mentioned above...shoots raw files. And of course relatively cheap now S/H...

Edited on Feb 05, 2012 at 08:30 PM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Gary Petersen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

I like my G11 and use it a lot. I don't always like dragging out the Mk III.

Canon PowerShot G11    31mm    f/8.0    1/500s    200 ISO  

Canon PowerShot G11    6.1-30.5 mm lens    6mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon PowerShot G11    6.1-30.5 mm lens    6mm    f/5.6    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:58 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #18 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

Nice toned monochrome...more evidence of what the G series can produce in the right hands....

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:32 PM
njjuliano
• • •
p.1 #19 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

chez wrote:
I am not suggesting the x100 for the OP. What I am doing is trying to expand the vision rather than having Canon blinders on. We don't owe anything to Canon and it just makes sense to look at everything that is out there.

Agree with Chez, looking at all options is a good thing, especially with the limited budget.

As an aside, didnt think Chez was suggesting the x100 either, scales' response derailed the thread.

In p&s, the earlier G models I liked, but I actually have always enjoyed fuji's renditions.

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:47 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Canon G11 or Canon G12?

We have owned the S90, S95, G11, and G12. Both the S90 and S95 were sold fairly quickly; even though they have the same sensor as the G11/12 and have a faster lens, the lens on the G11/12 just seems a little bit sharper, and the small size was sometimes an issue for my large hands. I love the swivel screen on the Gs and both cameras are excellent in low light. My gf uses her G11 religiously and actually sold her dslr because she prefers to use the G11 more and loves the portability. I recently sold my G12 in anticipation of buying a G1X, but now I'm not so sure I want to pay that much for a compact camera. Another G12 may be in my future. As a daily use camera the G11/12 are perfect and can do amazing things provided you take the time to really get to know the camera; Gary's pics above are proof of that. I think you'll enjoy using the camera.

Andy

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password