New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 24L or 50L?

BrianMendoza

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24L or 50L?

I know... two completely opposite focal lengths, but let me go into the details a little bit...

Lately, I've been doing 80% videography, 20% photography. I just sold my 24-70L and 35L and decided to hang onto my 50L as my only lens for a month or so just until I'm able to buy more lenses again (tough times called for tough measures).

A guy I know in the area offered to trade his 24L mkII for my 50L.

My 50L is a UZ10** date code, just bought about a month ago. Everything aside from the lens itself is still in the plastic wrapping and in the box. Out of all the 50L's I've owned/used this has been the sharpest copy by far. And part of me is a sucker for 50's because it's been my go-to prime focal length.

His 24L mkII is a UY date code, mint condition with everything BUT the box. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I make it a point to save the boxes for my higher end items, just in case of resale/etc. I know the 24L mkII is a more expensive lens, so I see where that's a plus, but I've never actually used one for myself, so I can't compare sharpness/bokeh/etc to really justify if it's worth the trade just yet. The other plus I can think of immediately, is that I would be able to start using my Glidecam again with the 24. Since I sold my 24-70L, the glidecam's been sitting aside.

If I went ahead with the trade, worst case would be that in that month or so, I'm going to buy the lens I didn't stick with. So it might make more sense to trade because rebuying the 50L would be cheaper than to rebuy the 24mm mkII, BUT I'm risking losing the sharpest copy of the 50L that I've used/owned.

I hope all of this doesn't sound like a troll post. I just can't imagine a better group of people to ask. Hopefully I can get some helpful insight/experience with these lenses and not snotty remarks.

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:53 AM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24L or 50L?

Sounds to me like you'd rather keep the 50.

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:58 AM
BrianMendoza

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24L or 50L?

leftymgp wrote:
Sounds to me like you'd rather keep the 50.

Haha I know... But it's mostly because I haven't had the chance to use a 24L mkII yet!

AND one other thing I just thought of is that my LCW ND filter is a 72mm, not 77, so I'd have to buy a 77 also... Damn.

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:03 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24L or 50L?

50L is super on video application:

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:32 AM
BrianMendoza

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24L or 50L?

mttran wrote:
50L is super on video application:

Yeah! I love the 50L on my 5dmkII, it's been really good to me. The first 50L I owned a while ago wasn't as sharp as the one I'm using now. If that one was the one I owned still I probably wouldn't be as hesitant to trade.

Those videos make me really want to keep my 50L...

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:44 AM
BrianMendoza

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24L or 50L?

Does anyone have any input on the consistency of the 24L mkII? Do they all seem to be relatively similar in optical quality?

I don't know if makes sense that the reason my current 50L is much better optically than my first is because my first 50L was a UV date code? I've heard somewhere that they improved backfocusing issues/etc on newer copies, so it might not be as difficult as I think to get another sharp copy.

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:47 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24L or 50L?

BrianMendoza wrote:
Yeah! I love the 50L on my 5dmkII, it's been really good to me. The first 50L I owned a while ago wasn't as sharp as the one I'm using now. If that one was the one I owned still I probably wouldn't be as hesitant to trade.

Those videos make me really want to keep my 50L...

24LII is a great lens but 50L has its own signature like no other L lens. Took me monthsss to learn how to use the 50L to it's full potential

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/canon_50mm_f1-2/pool/interesting/
http://www.flickriver.com/groups/24l/pool/interesting/

Edited on Feb 03, 2012 at 02:05 AM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:51 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24L or 50L?

I am not sure why you would give up all the versatility for a single prime. I love my 24L II and 50L, but I think that without having some other lenses to support them it is not the best option. I would say 28 1.8, 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 is a better option than either the 50L or 24L II (dollars to dollars). 24-70 may be another option.

..unless you are a bit "off" like me and would prefer a "perfect" 50 over anything else. Either way, 24 would never be ok as your only lens unless you are on APS-C.. If so, it works!

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:03 AM
BrianMendoza

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24L or 50L?

saneproduction wrote:
I am not sure why you would give up all the versatility for a single prime. I love my 24L II and 50L, but I think that without having some other lenses to support them it is not the best option. I would say 28 1.8, 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 is a better option than either the 50L or 24L II (dollars to dollars). 24-70 may be another option.

It's not a permanent situation. It's just for about a month or so. I just sold my 24-70L and 35L because of a situation that came up.

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:08 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24L or 50L?

I take both, sorry did not help you much

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:12 AM
BrianMendoza

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24L or 50L?

mttran wrote:

You did man! Those video you posted make me want to hang onto the 50

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:57 AM
BrianMendoza

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24L or 50L?

mttran wrote:

You did man! Those video you posted make me want to hang onto the 50

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.