Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · What to sell and what to keep?

Anden
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What to sell and what to keep?

Dear friends.

This forum has given me great times and I have learned so much. Lately I have only been a lurker.
The reason is our son who was born in March last year. I just don´t have the time anymore... I almost only use the Zeiss 35/1.4. Sometimes the Canon 50/2.5

I have loads of great gear that just sits unused and I should pass them on to someone who will actually use them.

I have the Canon 5D2 and the following gear:
550EX flash. Rarely used. Good to have.
Canon 50/2.5 Macro. My only AF lens. A keeper.

Olympus
18/3.5
35-70/3.6
Macrokit: 80/4 + 135/4.5+65-116 tube+extention tubes+variable extender

Voigtländer
Linhof Selected APO-Lanthar 105/4.5

Minolta
Rokkor 58/1.2 - eos mount.

Zeiss
21/2.8
35/1.4
35-70/3.4
85/1.4
100-300/4.5-5.6

Lensbaby

I am contemplating selling everything but my canon gear and:

Zeiss
21/2.8
35/1.4
35-70/3.4
100-300/4.5-5.6

What I find really hard is to sell the Oly 18/3.5 and the Rokkor 58/1.2. They are fantastic lenses but I rarely use them. To be honest, I rarely shoot UWA so the 21/2.8 could probably go as well. Maybe I should sell that and keep the Oly?

I am not in need of funds so I don´t have to sell anything but it is a shame to see good gear not being used.

Please share your thoughts.

Andreas

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:01 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · What to sell and what to keep?

If you don't need the money then I would keep everything a little longer for when you will get more time again for photography.

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:41 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #3 · What to sell and what to keep?

it is a shame to see good gear not being used.
As long as the lenses get air circulation, and get used maybe once a year, they should not go bad, so keep the ones you like, sell the others.

Jan 19, 2012 at 09:42 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · What to sell and what to keep?

sell the lensbaby.

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Anden
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · What to sell and what to keep?

wayne seltzer wrote:
If you don't need the money then I would keep everything a little longer for when you will get more time again for photography.

Since I will keep the Zeiss lenses I will have all bases covered for serious shooting. But you do have a valid point.

A

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Anden
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · What to sell and what to keep?

LightShow wrote:
As long as the lenses get air circulation, and get used maybe once a year, they should not go bad, so keep the ones you like, sell the others.

They are stored well an the ciculation is great so that is not a worry. I just feel that it is sad that it just sits there...

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Anden
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · What to sell and what to keep?

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
sell the lensbaby.

Definately!

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · What to sell and what to keep?

Sell the Zeiss 35-70
keep the the Rokkor 58/1.2 and the Zeiss 85/1.4.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:28 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #9 · What to sell and what to keep?

I am in a similar situation. I'm keeping my zeiss 35 and my rokkor 58. I have my 85 up for sale, and probably will put my 50 for sale as well.

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:28 PM
rtester
• •
p.1 #10 · What to sell and what to keep?

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
sell the lensbaby.

exactly what crossed my mind

Jan 20, 2012 at 03:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #11 · What to sell and what to keep?

Nice to hear from you, Anden, best regards.

Your child will not be a year old for long...and will soon enjoy accompanying his dad on walks to photogenic places, of which there are many in your neck of the woods. My suggestion is to go ahead as planned.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:21 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · What to sell and what to keep?

My .02 ... You looked long and hard to find those pieces of glass that are 'special' and in the condition that yours are in (known). Photography is (for most of us in this camp) a lifelong endeavor.

If you sell them, and they are special enough to ever want again, then you'll have to go through the "long and hard" (and more expensive) search process in the future and (unkown) finding them in the condition that yours are in is no guarantee.

I too wrestle with which to sell, but I look at BOTH current use and replaceability as part of the decision making. Finding a ZE 21 seems easier than finding a good Oly 18, even though it cost much more. Of course, if you don't like the Oly 18 and never shoot it ... Alexandre might like to hear from you.

But, given that $$$ isn't a primary factor, I'd sit back and re-think the "need" to sell them just because you aren't currently using them from an "active" standpoint. These are pieces you've assembled as part of your pallette/toolbox. I could easily make the same argument for any of my woodworking or mechanical "specialty tools". I may not use them on a daily basis, but when I want them to be there, I WANT THEM TO BE THERE ... and classic tools will be as good in twenty years as they were yesterday ... and I don't see Minolta making too many 58/1.2's for EOS anytime soon or Oly putting out any more rectilinear FF 18's that are very well distortion corrected (i.e. they'll only become more rare).

That being said, you could sell the ZE 21 (blasphemy, I know) and pick up something in the 24-28 range. Your're 21 & 18 are pretty close together for someone who doesn't shoot that wide. Something in the 24-28 range might be more useful to you and retain the Oly 18 around for when you want/need that UWA or dramatic effect. The 25/2, 24L TS-E II might be something to consider or the C/Y 28/2.8 for peanuts by comparison.

HTH ...

Oh yeah ... you can toss the lensbaby out with the bathwater.

Edited on Jan 20, 2012 at 03:15 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · What to sell and what to keep?

I would say keep the Zeiss lenses, the Oly 18 and the Rokkor 58 f/1.2. I am surprised you don't use the Rokkor more for photos of your child. It ought to be great for that and will be more so as the child grows.

Jan 20, 2012 at 03:13 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · What to sell and what to keep?

RustyBug wrote:
Of course, if you don't like the Oly 18 and never shoot it ... Alexandre might like to hear from you.

I would love to have an Oly 18. Add me to the list.

Jan 20, 2012 at 03:15 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · What to sell and what to keep?

I have been told that if you "walk" them occasionally & keep their box clean they can last for years.. If you do not need the money, do not sell at this point in time.. Quality glass is always desirable and can be sold when / if you determine you are not returning to photography.. IMHO, Jim

Jan 20, 2012 at 03:29 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · What to sell and what to keep?

oldrattler wrote:
I have been told that if you "walk" them occasionally & keep their box clean they can last for years.. If you do not need the money, do not sell at this point in time.. Quality glass is always desirable and can be sold when / if you determine you are not returning to photography.. IMHO, Jim

OTOH, there is something to be said for getting the vintage lenses into the hands of someone who will enjoy them rather than letting them wither in a box. Better to die of abuse than neglect, perhaps.

Jan 20, 2012 at 03:46 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #17 · What to sell and what to keep?

Andreas,

If I didn't already have the Oly macro gear, it would the first of my suggestions to go.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:28 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #18 · What to sell and what to keep?

Steve Spencer wrote:
I would say keep the Zeiss lenses, the Oly 18 and the Rokkor 58 f/1.2. I am surprised you don't use the Rokkor more for photos of your child. It ought to be great for that and will be more so as the child grows.

I was thinking this too.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:39 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.1 #19 · What to sell and what to keep?

Hi Andreas,

No time to photography I hear you, my son is 2 years old now.

My suggestion:

Keep all your list, replacing Zeiss 21 with Oly 18.
The Zuiko 18 is a little diamond, rare to find in great conditions.
You can find another Distagon quite easily (paying its price...).
The Rokkor should have mirror issues and you already have 2 fast lenses. For the record, I'm selling mine, after all (it's in B&S). I'm in love with my Zuiko 50/1.2.

I also suggest you to buy a Zuiko 24 or 28 (or Zeiss 28, or Leica 28) to fill the gap, if you miss it.
If you miss AF more often, try to replace Contax 35-70 for the N24-85 and forget the suggestion above.

RustyBug wrote:
Of course, if you don't like the Oly 18 and never shoot it ... Alexandre might like to hear from you.

Kent, thanks a bunch for remembering your Zuikoholic truly but after buying my 50/1.2 I and my wallet are done. Besides, 21mm is as good as it gets for me to shoot WA.
I will wait for about a year to buy anyting else again (maybe a birthday present in November), and most probably it'll be - guess what? - the OM-D.

Jan 20, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #20 · What to sell and what to keep?

Keep the Zeiss 21/2.8, 35/1.4, 85/1.4.

Sell everything else and pick up an N24-85 because AF will be nice to capture your son as he grows.

Edited on Jan 20, 2012 at 07:40 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2012 at 06:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password