Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

Do I need the slim filter to avoid vignetting?

Jan 14, 2012 at 06:48 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

Not on a crop camera.

Jan 14, 2012 at 07:03 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

it's for a full frame camera.

Jan 14, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

My 16-35 MKI was mostly used on a 1.3 crop body and I did not notice much vignetting with a polarizing filter. (practically never had a uv filter on it)

I haven't used it that much with my full frame body, I don't recall if I ever had a filter on it.

The 16-35 MKII with its 82mm filters probably does not need slim filters

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:01 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

I bought a 16-35II a month ago when they were on sale, and I decided not to get any UV/clear filter.

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:39 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

Anyone use with with FF that can comment?

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

jzucker wrote:
Do I need the slim filter to avoid vignetting?

Is the UV filter for protection? The 16-35mm f/2.8L II is weather sealed. I would go without it. Adding another glass to your lens may increase the likelihood of ghosting/flare on your shots. Even if you scratch/break the front element, it's not expensive to replace it.

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:49 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is the UV filter for protection? The 16-35mm f/2.8L II is weather sealed. I would go without it. Adding another glass to your lens may increase the likelihood of ghosting/flare on your shots. Even if you scratch/break the front element, it's not expensive to replace it.

Really? I didn't know that. How much does it cost to replace the front element ?

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

I would use only the lenshood for protection. I am not a proponent of using filter for protection for reasons Fred mentioned.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

ok, but i've had bad experiences *NOT* using a filter so on my "L" glass I'm using B+W filters on all of them.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

That's my personal opinion. You are free to do as you please, of course. I have read reports that sharpnels from broken/shattered glass of filters actually damaged the front lens. I know a bunch of folks are strong proponents of filter use. To each his/her own and I venture to say that it is split in the middle.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

can anyone actually answer the question I asked?

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM
bin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

According to this:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-16-35mm-f-2.8-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

"Unfortunately, a normal thickness UV filter causes some additional vignetting at 16mm when mounted on a full frame body. This can be seen using the mouseover feature in the lens vignetting comparison. So, the B+W 82mm MRC Slim UV Filter is going to be the best full frame option in my opinion. Users of 1.3x and 1.6x crop bodies will be fine with the normal thickness B+W 82mm MRC UV Filter."

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

Thanks Binh Ly. I appreciate the answer to the question I actually asked. Politics, anyone?

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

Fred Miranda wrote:

I second this. My UV filter saved my old 16-35L I after strong winds knocked over my tripod.

I've got the 16-35 L II lens now and haven't had any issues with vignetting with a full frame camera when used with the thinner profile filters like the B+W XS Pro, Heliopan SHMC, Rodenstock HR and the Hoya HD without any issues (all four of these have front rings, so you can still attach the lens cap. My preference is for the B+W and Heliopan, for the following two reasons:
1) I found the Hoya HD very hard to clean (lots of smudging)
2) When attachd to my Lee Wide angle hood, the adapter ring binds to the Hoya filter ring.

Optically all are excellent and are multi-coated, the B+W and Heliopan use Schott glass.

THere are many thin filters, but some don't have front filter threads, so you can't attach you lens cap. All four filters i've listed will accept the lens cap.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

jzucker wrote:
Thanks Binh Ly. I appreciate the answer to the question I actually asked. Politics, anyone?

Clarifying and restating your original question is fair and reasonable enough, but I think there's no need to say something like that towards other posters discussion of what I think is an issue relevant to your original question. People aren't paid on this forum to be your personal research staff - they respond in good faith to try and help each other out - it's a privilege to have your questions answered, not a right.

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:11 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

I use a Hoya 82mm Super HMC Pro 1 filter (thin style with front threads) on my 16-35L II. The only time it goes without is on a tripod in calm surroundings (not being carted through brush or forest) or being used in predictable conditions off-tripod (then I use the lens hood).

Most times I use the filter and use my off-hand for sunshade when sun touches the front element.

Most recently, I used the lens with filter on a construction site, the assignment to cover installing a fiberglass/resin liner in a 48" storm drain, using winch and other devices. The filter kept the lens clean and I didn't worry about wiping off dust from the filter -- I would not have wanted to wipe dust off the front lens with my shirt shirt tail.

To those that don't use a filter -- fine with me! But I've never had a problem in daylight situations with quality filters.

Perhaps the 16-35 is fully weather sealed, I don't know. But many Canon L lenses need a front filter to complete the seal for best protection.

Edited on Jan 15, 2012 at 01:19 AM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:15 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is the UV filter for protection? The 16-35mm f/2.8L II is weather sealed. I would go without it.

So is that lens weather sealed without a front filter? I've noticed a lot of Canon lens' manuals say you need a "protection filter" to complete the seal.

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:19 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

Dawei Ye wrote:
Clarifying and restating your original question is fair and reasonable enough, but I think there's no need to say something like that towards other posters discussion of what I think is an issue relevant to your original question. People aren't paid on this forum to be your personal research staff - they respond in good faith to try and help each other out - it's a privilege to have your questions answered, not a right.

I could not have said this better. We are a very close group of photographers who do our best to share our knowledge. Our discussion is intended to help even if sometimes it does not specifically answer your question.

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:57 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 16-35 what UV/Clear filter?

coranda wrote:
So is that lens weather sealed without a front filter? I've noticed a lot of Canon lens' manuals say you need a "protection filter" to complete the seal.

I could be wrong but I believe the 16-35mm f/2.8L II has a weather sealed barrel. (Unlike the 17-40mm f/4L)

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:58 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.